PDA

View Full Version : Give apple your g4.

jameso
1st February 2004, 10:51 AM
Here's a tip - don't expect new G5's before 3/26/2004. Apple Oz (Australia) have just introduced a trade up program - they give buyers A$1000.00 (appx. $775 US) tradein for a G4 (no specific model mentioned) on a new G5, The program starts today and ends 3/26/2004 so I'm guessing the new G5's are released 3/27/2004 or soon thereafter.

I spotted this on http://www.xlr8yourmac.com/

Would be nice for us australians. Too bad I can't find anything to verify it. Any one know anything about this?

jameso

decryption
1st February 2004, 11:07 AM
If it is true (why would they limit this to Australia only?), I wonder what they'd do with the machines they get traded-in?

Cory5412
1st February 2004, 01:58 PM
I wonder if they were to do this in the USA, how big the discount would be and if they would accept a G4 whose motherboard happened to find its way into a G3 case and then was given to me ~ish

My G3 is a G4 motherboard with a G3 processor in a G3 case...

(first revision, pci graphics of the G4)

Not that even with a $1699 discount (*the base model is about $1700usd iirc) I still would be able to afford a G5! ;)

It could be a sign that Apple has something up their sleeves and want to make the transition to 64bit on the pro level at least, as fast and painless as possible.

mbd
1st February 2004, 03:41 PM
This promotion is true - the traded in macs will be sold off by the resellers who accept the g3/g4 system from the customer. So, if you're after a cheap g3/g4, a lot of dealers may soon have some...

For the deal, the computer has to have been sold in Australia/NZ, be in original specced (or better) configuration, and have OS, keyboard, mouse, etc. I.e., be something that is in a state where it can be sold again.

jameso
1st February 2004, 08:35 PM
niceness, where did you find out that info?

jameso

mbd
1st February 2004, 10:15 PM
I'm a partner in a small authorised reseller and got an email about it late last week.

And in case you're wondering, I honestly wish I had more info about upcoming hardware, but I don't... But, I reckon it's a fairly strong pointer that Apple is trying to clear the current G5 stock out for an update at the end of March...

Then again, this is coming from someone who bought a powerbook one day before Apple updated the range, and a 1.8 G5 three weeks before they updated it to a dual cpy machine. So what do I know? :-P

jameso
2nd February 2004, 07:08 AM
If there is going to be a whole bunch of second hand g4 i'm going to get my grubby little mitts on one

jameso

decryption
2nd February 2004, 09:01 AM
I wonder if there will be a glut of G4 Cubes being traded in for G5s? :P
I might go the opposite and trade in a G5 for a Cube, hahah

jameso
2nd February 2004, 11:49 AM
i'll swap u my wicked g3 for your crashing g5. =)

jameso

Cory5412
2nd February 2004, 12:33 PM
I still wonder if they're doing this in the USA, because ther could in theory be alot of rather inexpensive G4s, too bad there's really no good mac shops within 140 miles that I know of...

cmetom
2nd February 2004, 05:31 PM
Originally posted by Cory5412@Feb 2 2004, 01:33 PM
I still wonder if they're doing this in the USA, because ther could in theory be alot of rather inexpensive G4s, too bad there's really no good mac shops within 140 miles that I know of...
work out the postage and i'm sure one of us could help you!

Gothikon
2nd February 2004, 09:15 PM
Whilst the deal is a little odd in that it's Australia only they have done things like this before. Apple Germany back in Europe had a deal where you could trade in any PC and get about 100USD towards a G3 or G4 (don;t remember it was a while back).

Releasing new G5's first and or only (at least for a short while) seems like a silly and unlikely event.

However it does point towards new G5's in the not so distant future which is a good thing. If I had a sawtooth or newer I would be all over this deal, G4's on ebay don't usually get over 1000, also you'd be trading in a stock machine and could sell any upgrades seperately. However as a Cube owner there is no way I'm handing over my pride and joy, it'll be a 1.4 gig upgrade then this will be retired as a media box, fashion statement. Won't be for a while though a G4 450 is still fast enough for everything except recent games and a 1.4 Gig G4 will be massive boost that should see me through another 2 years or so.

Cory5412
2nd February 2004, 10:57 PM
CompUSA did that awhile back, you traded in your older system for credit toward a new one, I know I was tempted to ask if I could take the iMac down there, but the bottom line of that deal was about 67 MHz too high for my tastes (that is to say, the minimum requirement was about a 300 G3, I was toolin' along at 233 ;)

(It was macs and pcs, and there was deals on peripherals as well. I believe the minimum spec on either was from about the same era, 300G3 or 500PIII or more. I'm sure that it would be possible to have combined the offer for a whole lot of G3s and P3s... (this waswhen G4 quicksilver was being rolled out, as I recall)

sheernoise
3rd February 2004, 01:51 PM
do you reckon they'll do the trade on Edu? Any news on that Rocket? I assume the credit issues would be indicative of the lesser edu purchase cost, but worth the enquiry.

Noise.

decryption
3rd February 2004, 03:10 PM
Educational price on a dual G5 1.8GHz without SuperDrive is around $3500, trade in your old G4 for $1000, thats a dual G5 1.8GHz for $2500, not bad at all ;)

jameso
4th February 2004, 10:16 AM
" Just as a followup to your news about Apple trade-in offers (Australia and Hong Kong), Apple Japan is offering the same thing. One of their ╬new year promos╠ is a trade-in deal, where you can send your G3 or G4 in, have it appraised, and then automatically deduct that amount from the cost of a new Mac.
This deal, along with Apple Japan's great one-year 1% super loan, runs until March 27. The loan offer was previously set to expire Dec 26 of this year, but was extended in late December.
Jim "

ok, news from the same place as above, xlr8yourmac.com but this time for japan.

jameso

mbd
5th February 2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by sheernoise@Feb 3 2004, 01:51 PM
do you reckon they'll do the trade on Edu? Any news on that Rocket? I assume the credit issues would be indicative of the lesser edu purchase cost, but worth the enquiry.

Sorry I'm not sure - we don't do edu pricing, so I'm unsure - I'd call an applecentre to find out :-).

the_argon
6th February 2004, 12:21 PM
Official Link: http://www.apple.com.au/promo/tradeupg5/

Currawong
8th February 2004, 11:20 AM
This is tempting, since my DP450, stripped back to original spec, is worth about $1k. I'm not sure if I don't want to wait for new G5's or powerbooks though.

WarwickG71
26th February 2004, 04:01 PM
Apple doesnt need your older G4. :(

I NEED your older G4! :)

EugeneG
27th February 2004, 12:18 AM
Hi from a new member B)

This news doesn't affect powerbooks in any way does it? I am anxious to get a 12" powerbook to replace my 15" pc, but I keep on hearing about new powerbooks being just around the corner. However no one seems to know exactly how far that corner is :/

mhollis
27th February 2004, 01:08 AM
One thing that Americans can do instead of trading in the G4 for a G5 is to reduce their tax burden by donating the G4 for a tax deduction. The G4s are still modern enough for a school or non-profit to gain from them and what one saves on taxes can generate enough boost in one's tax refund to help to ameliorate the cost of a G5.

Frankly, I'm planning on hanging on to my G4-400 (sawtooth) with its Sonnet 1GHz accelerator card. It can house more hard disks than the current crop of G5s and it's good enough for my uses presently.

I figure if I keep my G4 for six years, it will have really served me well.