PDA

View Full Version : Garageband problem

whatamidoing
1st January 2006, 11:50 AM
Hi everyone,

I was doing a bit of recording on Garageband last night, just one guitar track. After I'd recorded and re-recorded a few takes, it would play a few seconds of it then it'd stop and say there are too many instrument tracks playing and it would ask me to change my preferences to optimise my settings.

Why is it doing that? I was only recording over that instrument as a first single mono track, there were no other tracks in that song file.

I have a firewire 7200rpm HD, with audio going through an MBox, and 1.5GB DDR SDRAM memory, on my 1.42GHz G4.

downsys
1st January 2006, 12:47 PM
i'm assuming ur on a portable. what u need to do is to change the energy saver settings on preferences to 'highest performance'. also, it's best to quit all other programs when running gb.

whatamidoing
1st January 2006, 01:01 PM
Thanks for your reply, yes I've got an iBook.

I already have it on highest settings though, and I wasn't running any other programs when recording. That's why it stumped me when the problem came up.

stevejay
1st January 2006, 01:09 PM
GarageBand has an intermittent memory leakage problem, usually involving the use of delay-based effects (which are processor hogs, too.) Also if you were pitch or beat correcting, those functions will take enourmous bites out of the available processor cycles, especially if they're on while recording. I find GarageBand most accommodating if I record completely dry and leave all effects off until mixdown. The actual recording files stored in the .band package are dry anyway, all effects are "post-playback", so there's no need to choke a machine while recording.

whatamidoing
1st January 2006, 02:17 PM
Cool thanks, that makes a lot of sense. I wasn't pitch or beat correcting but I did have some effects going.

I was hoping to avoid problems like these by upgrading the iBook and using the firewire HD. Is this an unavoidable problem that I can't fix? Would I encounter similar issues if I had used ProTools instead?

creativeshed
1st January 2006, 06:28 PM
You would certainly experience similar issues in Pro Tools. I've had similar issues with Pro Tools lately and found a permissions repair fixed it.

whatamidoing
1st January 2006, 09:11 PM
Damn.. alright I guess I'm going to have to live with that and take every precautionary step to lessen the load on the processor.

Incidently, I notice that the widget application is always on. How do I turn it off? I don't really have much use for it.

Squozen
2nd January 2006, 08:26 AM
If you mean Dashboard, just drag the Dashboard icon out of the Dock and don't worry. Dashboard doesn't use resources if it's not used.

pipsqeek
2nd January 2006, 11:26 AM
You can lock tracks down, so rather then play from memory, they are moved to the HDD, which frees up some RAM for other things.

Also, use another program, if you are serious with recording. Or get massive amounts of RAM.

Unfortunately, GB is a great app, its just such a hog.

I mainly use Cubase for my live recording, coupled to a TASCAM US-428.

Which is all running off my 14" 1.33GHz iBook. Doesn't miss a beat... no pun intended.

Cheers
pips

whatamidoing
2nd January 2006, 12:20 PM
Originally posted by Squozen@Jan 2 2006, 08:26 AM
If you mean Dashboard, just drag the Dashboard icon out of the Dock and don't worry. Dashboard doesn't use resources if it's not used.
Yeah I meant Dashboard. I just got my new iBook before Christmas so this Dashboard is new to me. I downloaded some widgets and didn't really find them useful (maybe I'm missing the point somewhere?).

whatamidoing
2nd January 2006, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Jan 2 2006, 11:26 AM
You can lock tracks down, so rather then play from memory, they are moved to the HDD, which frees up some RAM for other things.

Also, use another program, if you are serious with recording. Or get massive amounts of RAM.

Unfortunately, GB is a great app, its just such a hog.

I mainly use Cubase for my live recording, coupled to a TASCAM US-428.

Which is all running off my 14" 1.33GHz iBook. Doesn't miss a beat... no pun intended.

Cheers
pips
Ah yes thanks for reminding me about the lockdown function, I'm still new to Garageband and am learning my way through it.

If I lockdown a track, is it possible to unlock it later to edit again? Or am I getting this confused with the other function where you convert a midi track to a real instrument?

I used to have ProTools on my old iBook but it's such a huge program that I had some trouble navigating through it and using it. So when I was looking to upgrade to the G4 14inch iBook it was suggested to me to get Logic Express instead which is apparently a lot more user-friendly, at least until I get the hang of using programs like these. But taking costs into consideration I decided to get a ProTools update and hoped that Garageband would suffice as an intermediate recording/sequencing program.

So far, using Garageband has helped a great deal. Because it's a much simpler program than ProTools I've been able to pin down any problems & trouble-shooting much easier. Little things that used to give me such a huge headache with ProTools - for example in Garageband I realised that everytime I open the program, I would have to go to Preferences and switch the audio in/out back to the laptop in/out THEN back to MBox in/out EVEN though it was already set to MBox. Just little quirks like that. I used to have problems like these in ProTools that frustrated me because I had absolutely no idea what I'm doing wrong or what to click on to fix it.

pipsqeek
3rd January 2006, 09:08 AM
Unlocking the track is as easy as hitting the same button. Which unlocks it. :)

I stuck with using Cubase because it was easy, used very little resources and it's just too simple to use.

Another good one to try is Deck for OS X. Also simple and slim.

Cheers
pips

mazza_lives
10th January 2006, 02:20 PM
Did you mention you had a Firewire device plugged in? I've given up using my firewire interface for now becasue it just drained the CPU dry and GB or Logic couldnt compete with it adequately. That's an issue in Tiger I am told.

I wouldnt mind using Cubase (I have LE) but the damn thing wont open. Im going to write them an email as we speak.

mazza_lives
10th January 2006, 10:52 PM
I sorted Cubase out had to get rid of last morsel of Amplitube plug in.