PDA

View Full Version : Help Viewer Chewing Up CPU Cycles

notb4dinner
29th August 2004, 08:50 PM
I've just noticed that on my 2 day old Powerbook Help Viewer sometimes fails to load the appropriate help document and always sits on about 60-70% CPU usage (according to top) even when it does succesfully load a document. I've tried removing the Lexmark help files, removing the help preferences file and a few other things suggested around the place for solving similar help problems to no avail. So has anyone here got an idea of what might bve going on?

pipsqeek
30th August 2004, 11:18 AM
My iBook did the exact same thing for a while but there was an Apple update a while back for the help files, and that fixed it.

My help would not load at all. Just use 100% CPU.

Steve

Ozi
30th August 2004, 12:45 PM
It sounds like a helpless situation. *boom boom*

It will go away as a problem when you stop needing to use the help viewer! :lol: otherwise, I can't really help you. Tell the applecentre from whence it was purchased if you are really annoyed by it.

Disko
30th August 2004, 12:52 PM
From my experience, the help viewer is a very 'iffy' app. Whenever it loads on my powerbook my first instinct is to quit (and then force quit) it because it chews up so much cpu. So my solution is: Don't use it unless you *really* have to. Most applications have online documentation. Use that. :)

kim jong il
30th August 2004, 03:56 PM
Is there some reason why the help viewer is/(might be?) more CPU intensive on a powerbook? I tried all sorts of help files on my old G4 desktop and only managed 23% CPU utilization (according to the activity monitor). Finder maxed out the CPU a couple of times while I was doing this, but that only lasted around 10 seconds max

Currawong
30th August 2004, 08:34 PM
Check Macosxhints.com for suggestions, as there was some or other file that needed deleting - maybe it was the Help viewer cache files...i'm not sure...that would fix the problem.

eni
30th August 2004, 09:22 PM
I doubt it's a cache problem... My powerbook's done the same from day one. Bothered me on the first day, but since then I've very rarely used help. That said, it is kind of disgusting that such a simple program installed on basically all os x macs is so poor.

Ozi
30th August 2004, 11:18 PM
My help viewer on the pBook doesnt chew up hardly any CPU! In this attached image, you can see MenuMeters graphing the CPU in the graph top right (just to the right of the battery moniter) and it isnt very busy at all.

notb4dinner
31st August 2004, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Aug 30 2004, 08:34 PM
Check Macosxhints.com for suggestions, as there was some or other file that needed deleting - maybe it was the Help viewer cache files...i'm not sure...that would fix the problem.
Excellent, that seems to have fixed it for now.

For anyone with a similar problem I trashed (after backing up of course) the contents of /Users/<My User>/Caches/com.apple.help.ui/ . Pages seem to be loading properly now and the excessive CPU usage has gone away. The seeemingly irrelevant tip that pointed me in the right direction can be found here (http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20031027162152421).

The problem was a bit eratic so I&#39;ll report back in a few days if this actually did solve the problem.

[Edit: Well it&#39;s 5 days later and the problem hasn&#39;t recurred.]