PDA

View Full Version : Ransomware on Mac?

cosmichobo
25th October 2012, 07:38 AM
G'day,

Just read this, saying at least 30 businesses have been attacked by criminals using "ransomware"...

Ransomware targeting businesses, home PCs - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-10-25/ransomware-targeting-aussie-businesses2c-pcs/4332526)

It then says individuals will likely be next, with around 20,000 people a day in Europe already coming under attack...

Anyone know if Macs are susceptible to this? Have any experience with it?

cheers

cosmic

Brains
25th October 2012, 07:47 AM
It's been around for years, mate -- 2005 was the first time I encountered it on a friend's Windowbox. And it exists on OSX, too, but thankfully it is nowhere near as easy to get a present from the Roskaya pretending to be an anti-malware suite that's locked up your machine due to "major infections".

kyte
25th October 2012, 01:08 PM
I hate the idea. I didn't know they were literally ransoming data... I thought I had kept ahead of knowledge of most methods of fleecing you of money and information. The only solution (if you have mission critical data) is not to store it on the main computer, and keep a clone.

cosmichobo
27th October 2012, 08:30 AM
It's been around for years, mate -- 2005 was the first time I encountered it on a friend's Windowbox. And it exists on OSX, too, but thankfully it is nowhere near as easy to get a present from the Roskaya pretending to be an anti-malware suite that's locked up your machine due to "major infections".

By this, do you mean the protection offered by OS X in that you basically have to OK the installation of the software before it can attack?

Have you actually heard of cases of Mac owners falling victim, or is that a hypothetical?

It's ok - I'm not being Henny-Penny... Not about to severe my net connection with an axe... Just has me pretty curious.