PDA

View Full Version : Fusion Drive

hawker
24th October 2012, 04:21 AM
I know this is more hardware, but it seems to work well with mac os x. So just wondering what people think of Fusion Drive.

Sounds like a good idea to me. I hope it works as advertised :)

asgr8
24th October 2012, 05:07 AM
I think it's the same idea as Seagate has applied on its moments xt series. Hybrid drives even though there ssd size is smaller than fusion drives but works the same way.

gehenna
24th October 2012, 05:57 AM
It's nothing new, the tech has been around for years. By all accounts it performs poorly but there could be OS enhancements that optimise its performance in the iMac.

hawker
24th October 2012, 06:05 AM
I heard something, but it sounded lame. Hopefully this improves it.

bennyling
24th October 2012, 06:07 AM
Should definitely be interesting to see if this has any kind of real-world performance that they're claiming. Storing the OS on the SSD should result in at least the base system feeling snappy, but I have a sneaking suspicion it might be more than that.

decryption
24th October 2012, 09:06 AM
Sounds a lot like those Seagate Momentus XT drives that we had high hopes for, but were in practice, shit. I'm holding my judgement until the iMacs containing them are actually released.

JimWOz
24th October 2012, 09:29 AM
Here is a bit more (http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/digging-into-fusion-drive-details).

Surely if the work is done by the OS, then the concept can be moved to older hardware like an MPB with an SSD and a HDD in the optical bay.
I bet there will be some 3rd party interest in this.

The article says booth the SSD and the HD show up in disk utility, but only a single drive in the Finder.

mjankor
24th October 2012, 09:30 AM
Pretty certain all Apple's doing here is making 2 drives one big disk.

Stuff that is used a lot goes on the SSD portion of the "disk".

It's not going to be stupidly complicated. All it will do is appear as one massive disk, but generally with the performance of an SSD.

It won't have the drawbacks of the Seagate as it will have enough flash to hold everything important.

brian_g
24th October 2012, 09:47 AM
sounds like something that will need 1.21 gigawatts of power...

my concern would be reliability - one drive failing scenarios etc however I'd hope smarter minds than me are all over that

spargo
24th October 2012, 10:00 AM
Sounds a lot like those Seagate Momentus XT drives that we had high hopes for, but were in practice, shit. I'm holding my judgement until the iMacs containing them are actually released.

Shit? Really?? Perhaps my expectations of their performance is not as high as others.

I've got a Seagate Momentus XT in a 2008 MBP, and it is freakin' fantastic. It was never promised or expected to be as quick as an SSD, but as a 750gb drive it flies compared to a newer MBP I have access to that uses a similar sized standard HDD.

If this is a similar concept to the Seagate's, but with a larger SSD component, it would be very much ideal in an iMac which requires large built in hard drive capacity, does not warrant that being a full SSD.

rav3n
24th October 2012, 10:03 AM
From what I can gather fusiondrive will be a core service in osx, so unlike every other hybrid drive thus far, fusiondrive shouldnt suck seeing as how apple have made it themselves for their own hardware. Will be interesting to see if they support 3rd party drives and eventually support for macbooks too.

mjankor
24th October 2012, 10:37 AM
Shit? Really?? Perhaps my expectations of their performance is not as high as others.

I've got a Seagate Momentus XT in a 2008 MBP, and it is freakin' fantastic. It was never promised or expected to be as quick as an SSD, but as a 750gb drive it flies compared to a newer MBP I have access to that uses a similar sized standard HDD.

If this is a similar concept to the Seagate's, but with a larger SSD component, it would be very much ideal in an iMac which requires large built in hard drive capacity, does not warrant that being a full SSD.

From my testing the Seagate Momentus XT was generally as fast as a 7200 RPM drive, with the occasional boost from when it hit the cached memory.

Possibly they've improved it since then, but the one I had ran hot and not particularly fast. Mind you it was an early 500GB with only 4GB nand.

The 750GB I would expect to be better.

Byrd
24th October 2012, 10:55 AM
Is fusion drive part of the OS, or hardware specific (sorry can't watch the Keynote at work!)? I'm assuming if I get an SSD + big mechanical HD, it will work better with choosing what files go where instead of moving stuff around all the time?

JimWOz
24th October 2012, 11:02 AM
From what I can read into the MacObserver article I linked to above, there are 2 of the suckers in there. That's right 2 SATA drive bay connections to a 128GB SSD and a 1TB HDD. The Fusion Drive concept is some sort of smart JBOD array me guesses, where the OS moves data initially written to the SSD to the HD. The OS and frequently used files remain on the SSD though. The total drive size is seen as 1.128TB in the Finder.

You'd think it could be made to work on our custom built SSD + HDD MBP's too.....

hawker
24th October 2012, 11:17 PM
This write up and info looks good:

Apple's New 'Fusion Drive' Not a Typical Hybrid Drive - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/10/23/apples-new-fusion-drive-not-a-typical-hybrid-drive/)

recd
25th October 2012, 09:29 AM
Info from apple. Mac mini (Late 2012) and iMac (Late 2012): About Fusion Drive (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) No boot camp if you order the 3TD spinning HD

brian_g
25th October 2012, 10:34 AM
Info from apple. Mac mini (Late 2012) and iMac (Late 2012): About Fusion Drive (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) No boot camp if you order the 3TD spinning HD

I haven't used Bootcamp in quite a while. My Windows needs are limited to Quicken, MS Publisher, maintaining an old DB in Access and that's about it so I use Parallels as the need to restart was a PITA. Its a great selling point to get Windows user across though.

kyte
25th October 2012, 01:03 PM
Did the required reading at Mac mini (Late 2012) and iMac (Late 2012): About Fusion Drive (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5446?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US) but there wasnt a lot there that encouraged me. I like flexibility. I might not use it but I like there to be an option. I would prefer the SSD + HD rather than the fusion drive. Even a different version of Disk Utility. too many caveats for me.

JimWOz
25th October 2012, 01:47 PM
...I would prefer the SSD + HD rather than the fusion drive...
Get the Dual HD server version of the Mini and swap one HD out for an SSD to achieve this.
For max performance I guess you'd swap them both out with an SSD for OS & Apps and a Seagate 750G/8G Hybrid for data.
BTW I assume the SATA ports are SATA 3 in this thing, like current MBP's etc.

After reading the Apple info, they are catering for one other partition (likely Bootcamp) on the HD in the Fusion Drive set up. - This may not win some others either.

Anyhow, they do seem to be pushing the Mini up the batting order a bit with this update and the configs offered. - Quad Core i7 in the mid model also now, compared to the 2011 only offering the quad core in the server model. Also USB3, Firewire 800 & Thunderbolt + HDMI ports.

A look at the pull down of a new iMac will be interesting to see if it is more (or less) user upgradeable than the old model too.