PDA

View Full Version : POSTGRESQL...don't know what it is but it's on imac after upgrading to LION and...

jayda
22nd October 2012, 09:16 PM
we can't access one of the accounts. It's like a new account in its self. Just wanna go back to normal!

Goodbye
22nd October 2012, 09:18 PM
Sorry, you're going to have to explain more what you're trying to get at - what exactly is the problem?

jayda
22nd October 2012, 09:57 PM
Hi, upgraded to Lion and now the account is like a brand new one - with everything gone! In the top right hand corner it has the correct account name but under the Apple symbol on the top left corner it has LOG OUT POSTGRESQL . The account is also called this on the page where you go to log in to the specific accounts.

gehenna
23rd October 2012, 06:42 AM
Is this your own Mac or a work one?

POSTGRES is a database server. Sounds like it's installed on the machine and the logon is used to access the instance. If you go to System > Users how many user accounts appear in the list and do they look correct?

jayda
23rd October 2012, 12:31 PM
Hi, it's my own mac. It's 3 years old and it's all happened since I upgraded to Lion. The system>users is displaying the correct accounts plus the POSTGRESQL account when you are logged in to POSTGRESQL. The current user is displayed as POSTGRESQL and the Other Users are correct, including the account I can't access now. When you log into any of the other accounts, it does not display the POSTGRESQL one.

The POSTGRESQL account has all the application intact but all of my documents and pictures have gone.

jayda
23rd October 2012, 01:23 PM
Ended up ringing Apple support and after a nervous 45 minutes, we nutted it out. Not sure how it got on there. Lion is the only thing different/new. Lucky there was two admin accounts. It was a simple case of dragging it to the trash from the other admin account. Couldn't do it from the admin account where it had lodged itself. Apple save the day!

jayda
23rd October 2012, 08:23 PM
Problem is back. Tried uninstalling a program (DaVinci Resolve) that was downloaded awhile back but not used until yesterday - when the problem began! It doesn't want to uninstall. Massive headache!

jayda
24th October 2012, 07:47 AM
Anyone? :ambivalent:

Dambo
24th October 2012, 09:10 AM
When you say the problem is back do you mean the account name has reverted to POSTGRES?
If so I would suggest there are deeper underlying problems in the OS or hard drive directory which may be causing the fault.
You may have to backup to an external drive and reinstall the OS to get it properly fixed.

jayda
24th October 2012, 02:29 PM
Yes Dambo, the account name has gone back to POSTGRESQL. Thinking you're right. Argh! Right at the end of the uni year with all of the work due to be handed in.