PDA

View Full Version : MBP R Dead pixels. Am I doing it wrong?

scar68
22nd October 2012, 03:31 PM
I have a 15í Retina MBP. It is by far the best machine I have ever used or owned. The display is simply stunning.

I use my MBP at work and at home. To transport it I have a Crumpler Hym book 15Ē hard shell case. I also carry it, in the shell in a Crumpler backpack. It is a Karachi large camera/laptop bag. As I do with all my Apple gear I really take great care with the MBP. I am totally obsessed with looking after the unit.

A few months after getting it I noticed a dead pixel. It was stuck on white. I donít believe it was there at the time of delivery. Soon after I noticed another. I did some googling and read that dead pixels can be caused by excess pressure on the unit.

About a month ago I took it to Apple and they changed the screen, no questions asked.

Last night was watching a movie and noticed yet another dead pixel.

I am pretty worried. Is there some thing I am doing wrong?

I donít have a cat, never sit anything on the unit.

Surely carrying the unit in a purpose built hard shell case, which is then in a purpose built and bloody expensive backpack is enough? The backpack is huge and never full. I walk to and from work so it is not being thrown in the boot of cars or dropped on trams etc.

When I get the chance in a few weeks, I can and will take to Apple, however, I am worried that the issue will just come back.

I doubt the two screens have had manufacturing faults and I donít believe Apple should fork out for misuse, but I just canít see how it can be a user issue.

What do you guys think.?

decryption
22nd October 2012, 03:48 PM
Dead pixels just.. happen. I've had dead pixels appear on 3 year old LCDs that have done nothing but sit on a desk their entire life. I'm not surprised a *very* high pixel display like the one in the RMBP has dead pixels pop up more often than on an older-gen type display. It sucks, but that's what happens. Be glad it's Apple you're dealign with and not Asus or Acer or some other OEM (maybe except Dell) - you can at least take the Mac back to an Apple store, have them see it, rather than discuss it on the phone.

Jamesvdm
22nd October 2012, 03:57 PM
As decryption said, it's not your fault. Take it back, don't feel any guilt.

decryption
22nd October 2012, 09:54 PM
If it makes you feel better - I know someone who went through NINE MacBooks because of LCD "issues" regarding colour accuracy - so yeah :)

Brains
23rd October 2012, 12:37 AM
... and I know someone who is on their fourth MBPr screen because of dead pixels, and the last repair was basically an entire new MBPr, all that remained of the original was the SSD stick.

What was interesting to know was that when Dieter's MBPr grew another dead pixel, he happened to be at a friend's place and they had a jeweler's loupe; examining the dead pixel with the loupe showed that it wasn't a single pixel that had become stuck, but a 2x3 block of pixels.

scar, don't delay in contacting Apple over it, get in touch with them ASAP.

simonm
24th October 2012, 08:34 AM
I know it's still a while before the warranty runs out but if you haven't already done so I can't argue strongly enough to get the AppleCare Protection Plan, especially for this laptop because it's such a new design with a lot of new technology.

You'll be hitting yourself if you have a whole bunch of dead pixels come up just after the warranty runs out...or worse! Who knows what sort of problems these units could have down the track.

But as the others said be glad that it's Apple because I'm sure you'll have no problem getting it replaced if you're not happy.

scar68
24th October 2012, 03:57 PM
I know it's still a while before the warranty runs out but if you haven't already done so I can't argue strongly enough to get the AppleCare Protection Plan, especially for this laptop because it's such a new design with a lot of new technology.

Cheers guys. Glad to hear the issue isn't a rare one. And also not because I lug it in a backpack each day.

Great advice ont he Apple Care. I always get it with every MBP, totally worth it.

As soon as my schedule allows, back to Apple it goes.

Once again appreciate the comments and suggestions.

:thumbup::thumbup: