PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if I can get Apple care?

Orestes
16th October 2012, 10:43 PM
http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_107689/product/M8642C/A#overview

http://i47.tinypic.com/ndkx5.png

I spotted this and wondered for that price whether Apple would guarantee any service coverage. Just a total object of curiosity really.

Oldmacs
17th October 2012, 03:03 PM
Really? Is that for real? They still make them?
Strange- Very very expensive!

Oldmacs
17th October 2012, 03:06 PM
http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_107689/product/M9846LL/A
WHAT? is it for OS9 or something- They are really really expensive!

gehenna
17th October 2012, 03:23 PM
This is bizarre

bennyling
17th October 2012, 03:58 PM
Probably just an error on the Apple Online Store.

Unless someone's willing to order one and find out ;)

rav3n
17th October 2012, 04:10 PM
This would have to be an error right? I seriously doubt apple would still be selling tech this old

Orestes
17th October 2012, 04:11 PM
They're also selling iBooks.

http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_107689/product/M9846LL/A

Orestes
17th October 2012, 04:19 PM
The price doesn't add up to their retail price, or specs of the Quicksilver, or Digital audio when new either... this is bizarre... What are Apple getting at?

Power Macintosh G4 733 (Quicksilver) Specs (Quicksilver, M8359LL/A, PowerMac3,5, M8493, 1896) @ EveryMac.com (http://www.everymac.com/systems/apple/powermac_g4/specs/powermac_g4_733_qs.html)

Oldmacs
17th October 2012, 08:59 PM
Its just strange- Its not even really really really cheap like it should be-

Orestes
17th October 2012, 10:57 PM
If anyone lives in America and can do without their money for a couple weeks they can try to buy one and then return it if they actually get one. That's all I can think of to answer this.

leon
18th October 2012, 05:10 AM
These are real. About 3 years ago they had 1st gen iPods (5GB) for sale. People bought them and received them, until they became oversold and Apple had to return money to some people.

Orestes
18th October 2012, 11:17 AM
That answers one question, my other one is what sort of support you would expect for such a purchase, whether or not they come with Apple Care, etc..

leon
18th October 2012, 11:32 AM
That answers one question, my other one is what sort of support you would expect for such a purchase, whether or not they come with Apple Care, etc..

Technically you could purchase Applecare but as the machines are in obsolete status, there aren't any parts to fix them so it would be moot.

macman142
18th October 2012, 12:53 PM
insane...

julee86
18th October 2012, 02:25 PM
Technically you could purchase Applecare but as the machines are in obsolete status, there aren't any parts to fix them so it would be moot.

If they can't fix it (no parts, etc), shouldn't they be replacing the unit with a newer one? :p

nibbles
18th October 2012, 03:43 PM
Technically if it's still in warranty, yes. Very interesting... I tried searching the refurbished store after going to the product from the links above but no dice, couldn't find any old products.

Biallystock
18th October 2012, 04:21 PM
Even if Apple won't support the unit with AppleCare, this model is quite easy to maintain and is quite reliable.

The only contentious parts would be the motherboard and GPU, everything else you could fix or replace yourself.

The question then is it worth the rather high price they are asking, particularly since you can pick these up for much less on eBay and use the money saved to top them up with extras. For a start they will take 4 internal HDDs.

To my thinking they are the wrong model for anyone wanting an older machine. Better to get a model that can boot natively into OS9, there is little point in getting a model that is not a good contender for running OSX or OS9. That would the worst of both worlds.

DagrtheSnide
18th October 2012, 04:45 PM
As fast as a super computer.

Orestes
18th October 2012, 06:24 PM
Even if Apple won't support the unit with AppleCare, this model is quite easy to maintain and is quite reliable.

The only contentious parts would be the motherboard and GPU, everything else you could fix or replace yourself.

The question then is it worth the rather high price they are asking, particularly since you can pick these up for much less on eBay and use the money saved to top them up with extras. For a start they will take 4 internal HDDs.

To my thinking they are the wrong model for anyone wanting an older machine. Better to get a model that can boot natively into OS9, there is little point in getting a model that is not a good contender for running OSX or OS9. That would the worst of both worlds.

I run a G5 Xserve for the point of sticking 3 fast SATA HDDs in it and having it capable to act as an itunes/time capsule/file server back end for my network that can easily be upgraded and take a boat load of RAM. It has 2 fast gigabit ethernet ports so serves my home network just fine. I have no need for one of these, I was just wondering.

Once I put another 2TB of storage into my Xserve that will total 4TB and I don't suspect I'll have much need for more for a long while yet. No way would I even really contemplate the thought of buying one of these for $2000... they're not worth $100. I find it nigh on impossible to buy old computer hardware I have no use for. My G5 just barely justifies myself, I was going to offload it a while ago, but now its found a use.

AfterBurner_1
19th October 2012, 12:02 PM
They're also selling iBooks.

http://store.apple.com/ca_edu_107689/product/M9846LL/Aand from studying that link the software package looks a damnsight better than what i had previously seen. that is the model of i book i always wanted :( such a great size too.

strangely though it adds to the cart fine...

Orestes
19th October 2012, 12:10 PM
- iLife '06
- iWork 05 30-day trial
- AppleWorks
- Quicken 2005 for Macintosh
- Nanosaur 2
- Marble Blast Gold
-VGA Adapter

They're throwing in the steak knives with this one.

AnonMac
19th October 2012, 08:05 PM
WOW! If only the were cheaper, I MAY consider getting one.

Oldmacs
9th December 2012, 07:29 PM
They aren't there any more :(