PDA

View Full Version : MBP buying advice for DSLR shooter.

johnnyspack
15th October 2012, 01:32 PM
I'm a DSLR shooter who's trading up from my 4 year old MBP soon and wanted some advice on getting the best bang for my buck. I tend to use PS, AE, LR and FCP7, thought I'll have to begrudgingly go to FCPX soon.

I've heard of some people taking out the DVD drive of standard MBP's and replacing them with SSD's and using this as the start-up. What are the thoughts out there about this? Am I right in thinking there's only one drive bay in the retina MBP and you're not able to max out the RAM or add drives? I'm also toying with the idea of a 13" MBP as I travel and sometimes find my silver key mbp 15 bulky, and to my mind the unibody is even bigger. Not afraid to put in my own ram and HDD (usually bought from Other World Computing).

many thanks,
Johnny.

MissionMan
15th October 2012, 02:38 PM
I wouldn't bother expanding the hard drive side in the machine itself. Buy aperture and you can manage your photos/videos on external locations with the thumbnail kept on the local drive.

My workflow at the moment is to keep the files in the local drive library until I've finished with them and then relocate the masters when I'm done or when I don't need a local copy anymore. Aperture will keep a small local copy and you have the original on your external when you need it.

BenO
15th October 2012, 03:39 PM
MBP retina can't be upgraded. You need to configure everything at purchase which was the big deal breaker for me.

Went with the MBP with a hi-res matte screen, replaces the hdd with an ssd and put the original hdd in a caddy instead of the superdrive.

Runs unbelievably fast, screen is beautiful, couldn't be happier.

That said, it is pretty bulky to carry around in a messenger bag, and I have to be careful not to bump anything with it.

When I went travelling in Asia for a year I bought a netbook for about $350, put OSX on it and used that instead. Tiny, light, and I didn't have to worry so much about it getting stolen / broken. I backed up photos on 32GB SD cards and mailed them home one at a time when they were full.

johnnyspack
15th October 2012, 03:47 PM
Does putting in a SSD make the whole unit more fragile or is it rsky putting a HDD in the DVD bay?

Thx J

BenO
15th October 2012, 03:55 PM
Putting in an SSD won't make the whole unit more fragile. SSD's are actually better for bumps because they don't have any moving parts.

Putting an HDD in the DVD bay is a very well documented process, and people have been doing it for a long time without issue.

I've replaced the DVD with an HDD in my previous 2006 macbook pro, 2011 imac, and 2012 macbook pro and I haven't had any problems.

Switching the DVD for an HDD is a little more tricky than switching out the HDD for an SSD, so if you're not so comfortable tinkering inside a computer it might be difficult.

You can have a look at the process on ifixit and see if it looks doable for you.

Installing MacBook Pro 15" Unibody Mid 2012 Optical Drive Replacement - iFixit (http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Installing+MacBook+Pro+15-Inch+Unibody+Mid+2012+Optical+Drive+Replacement/10771/1)