PDA

View Full Version : Trying to clean install

maclost
11th October 2012, 03:00 PM
I am trying to install Snow Leopard on a machine that currently runs Leopard but I want it to be a fully clean install. I don't want anything left on my machine except the new OS. I thought it would give me options on install but it just went ahead and left it all. What did ( or didn't) I do?
Thank you.

maclost
11th October 2012, 03:05 PM
Thinking for myself seems to be dangerous but here goes......
change admin password, log in as admin, THEN install OS X??
sigh
( For those that haven't seen my previous posts, I don't currently have Admin access.... Long story. See Forum - Mac Stuff - Desktops - Change Admin Password)

Jacko30
11th October 2012, 03:18 PM
If you want to start from scratch completely, you will need to wipe the hard drive. To do this you can boot from the installation CD, and then you should be able to open disk utility and then erase the disk. You can then continue with the standard installation process.

If you need more detailed instructions please ask.

BenO
16th October 2012, 10:14 AM
As Jacko30 said...

The installer won't directly ask you if you want to do a clean install. When you start up the installer it should give you a menubar right up the top of the screen. From memory you can select disk utility from the utilities menu. Then erase the disk and install normally.

Some step by step instructions:
How to Perform a Clean Install of Snow Leopard OS X 10.6 (http://macs.about.com/od/snowleopardmacosx106/qt/cleaninstall_sl.htm)