PDA

View Full Version : Sudden Motion Sensor

melted.marsbar
28th December 2005, 01:27 PM
'Afternoon all

I was just wondering, does every new PowerBook come with a Sudden Motion Sensor (SMS)? Because I've tried to use some of those toy apps that react to the data from the SMS, but these apps seem to only interact with the position of the cursor on the screen.:o

Does anyone else have that problem? What programs can I use to see if my SMS is funtioning correctly?<_<

Many thanks like always,
Mitch

The Architect.mac
28th December 2005, 01:42 PM
I tried a few widgets bu they never worked

I just assume it is because it says it is in Sys info.

Its not something I care to try by dropping the powerbook, if you find any widgets or apps that work post a link

cheers

x01_01_01@hotmail.com
28th December 2005, 01:55 PM
Hey Mitch,

I&#39;m having the same problem with some of the apps. But one application I found that worked for me is; Bubblegym, which also includes a tracker, so you can view the X, Y, & Z of your powerbook.

What apps did you try ?
I just found AMSVisualizer and Stable Window - but they did work &#33;

/Adam

marc
28th December 2005, 02:19 PM
Btw, I think this was included on models after and including the 1.5ghz PBs.

f1_power
28th December 2005, 02:30 PM
To see if if Sudden Motion Sensor is enabled / installed, go to System Profiler and under the first Hardware tab you should get a page like this....

Hardware Overview:

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,6
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f1
Serial Number: W852xxxxxxx
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled
Version: 1.0

melted.marsbar
28th December 2005, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by x01_01_01@hotmail.com@Dec 28 2005, 01:55 PM
Hey Mitch,

I&#39;m having the same problem with some of the apps. But one application I found that worked for me is; Bubblegym, which also includes a tracker, so you can view the X, Y, & Z of your powerbook.

What apps did you try ?
I just found AMSVisualizer and Stable Window - but they did work &#33;

/Adam
I tried Bubblegym, AMSVisualiser and Stable Window like you did.....and I looked at my system info...its as follows

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,6
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.2)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 1 GB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.1f3
Serial Number: Wxxxxxxxxxxx

and theres nothing about my SMS&#33;&#33;&#33;

is it possible that I dont have one? do i need to call my apple guy?

mechcon
29th December 2005, 08:31 PM
first off people, calm down, this is an issue that has appeared in 10.4.3 where there is no mention of the sudden motion sensor in the system profiles. apple has stated that it is still active, just not shown that it&#39;s active in the profile, to simply fix that problem just reboot your system, and it will appear.

when you turn your notebook on for the first time after a power down, hold APPLE and press V before the grey apple appears (verbose mode) that way you can then see what&#39;s happening in the background, notice error messages appearing regarding SMS and AMS? thats all fine and dandy, then going to rebooting after that? voila no errors.

Can&#39;t remember why this was occuring though... there&#39;s a few mentions of it on

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1037 just have a poke around there.

I was alarmed at start too, but dont be :) (unless you dont have 10.4.3 on your system)

forgie
3rd January 2006, 06:25 PM
iBooks from 12" 1.33GHz and 14" 1.42GHz have an SMS too, right?