PDA

View Full Version : Mac decisions

swaz
7th October 2012, 08:45 AM
Need some experienced help please.
My wife and I have '09 Macbooks. Mine works fine, hers has screen issues. Just got a new SMART TV also. Add to this an iPhone and iPad + Mac mini
Not sure what the nest best step is.
MacMini attached to the new TV. Fair few movies on there. Difficult to show photos from my wifes Macbook though which is the 'family photo" computer.

Or

Apple TV- update to Mt. Lion so we can mirror. Can still play movies on my Mac Mini but can show photos etc. on the other macs.

Need it pretty simple so I don't have to spend hours tech. supporting.

Wally
7th October 2012, 09:03 AM
Use the MacBook with screen issues as a TV computer and reallocate the mini?

I'm interested in what you use for backups also.

swaz
7th October 2012, 01:51 PM
Gday Wally,
Wife needs a laptop so unfortunately that isn't really an option. I use the mini but only to update my iDevices and edit photos every now and then.

Back ups- I have two back ups of my computers. One off site. I have 3 of the home computer.

rav3n
7th October 2012, 03:13 PM
You could plug the mini into the tv and use something like airserver (http://www.airserverapp.com/) to get airplay mirroring.

icant
7th October 2012, 04:02 PM
Gday Wally,
Wife needs a laptop so unfortunately that isn't really an option. I use the mini but only to update my iDevices and edit photos every now and then.

Back ups- I have two back ups of my computers. One off site. I have 3 of the home computer.

Same as Wally’s idea, plus give her your MacBook.

Wally
7th October 2012, 04:42 PM
Same as Wally’s idea, plus give her your MacBook.

Perfect!

bernborough2000
7th October 2012, 05:01 PM
You could buy a new inverter for $ 10 and replace her old one . There are videos on Youtube outlining the procedure ; just need some small screwdrivers and a reasonable amount of dexterity .

swaz
7th October 2012, 06:28 PM
It's not the inverter, its the power cable for the LCD. It's my work Macbook so I can't give it up unless I buy another.