PDA

View Full Version : Difference between New MacBook air A1466 13" LCD and prior models.

Kidd
3rd October 2012, 10:55 AM
Hi Everyone.

I have had my awesome Air for a month and accidentally dropped it at the airport a couple weeks ago. When i inspected it everything is still ok. The body is straight, the LCD is not cracked, it boots up and a disk scan comes up without any errors.

The only thing that has happened, and the most frustrating, is that the corner of the top lid where the LED Apple logo is has bent downwards. The corner i refer too is the bottom left when the air is open just below the rubber framing. I have attempted to contact Apple who said they will need to replace the whole LCD at a cost that's almost worth more then the original price of the air and there's no way i will be paying that when i can just get a brand new one for that price.

My question is does anyone know if there is a difference between the Mid 2012 Mac Book Air A1466 13" monitor casing/lid and prior models (e.g 1369)? It's difficult to come across the A1466 as it's brand new but i have come across a lot of the A1369 models lids. Has anyone else gone through and replaced there's or can comment? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Byrd
3rd October 2012, 01:30 PM
Welcome kidd :)

Hard to say if they are the same (check ifixit, eBay for some close-up photos to compare), but remember that it's not a replacable part - the LCD is glued in between that rear aluminium shell and a thin piece of glass. Taking the LCD out of this shell is very difficult and will destroy the glass and/or thin aluminium before you even get near the LCD for replacement. Past models made LCD panel replacement easier (read: non-unibody portables), but never in MBAs.

So, you're either stuck with it slightly damaged (but functional), or you will need an complete replacement panel to get it back to like-new condition. Some home + contents insurance policies might pay out if really keen.

Good luck

JB

Kidd
3rd October 2012, 01:45 PM
Thanks for the welcome and response Byrd :D

Ahhh that truly does suck! It's just a small bend in the bottom corner but i know it's there and the fact it's only a month old just grinds my gears even more. I am shocked at the replacement price too, i might as well just buy a brand new one for that money.

Looks like i have a few options now; Claim it on home/contents insurance, get a replacement through Apple for an absurd price or scour the web and eBay for a replacement. I can probably also wait a month or so before i can access the marketplace on MacTalk and see what's on offer, that may be a solid option too.

Either way thanks for information Byrd, Much appreciated!

Chundermuffin
3rd October 2012, 02:22 PM
Sell it for a small loss and buy a new one if insurance doesn't cover it (and you really can't stand it).

Kidd
3rd October 2012, 02:32 PM
Yeah that's also a possibility Chundermuffin, i guess i'll see how i go with the insurance first, unless i can find a cheap replacement online before then.

Byrd
3rd October 2012, 03:16 PM
no faulty 2012 MBAs on Mactalk trading forum, I can tell you :) Seems replacement parts + complete LCDs from places like Hong Kong come up in ~ 12 months time, once the model has been around for a while. If you can't get it replaced, I'd just put up with it as is "with character" :)

Kidd
4th October 2012, 09:47 AM
Haha Character! My Air already has character, it doesn't need THAT kind of character!