PDA

View Full Version : Q about Bootcamp and what happens when you change your mind

arlibie
30th September 2012, 12:36 PM
I've had a search of the forum and found threads hinting at the answer to my question without answering it straight up, so I hope making this thread is ok...

If I install bootcamp, and then decide later I don't want the partition, can I undo the partition without losing any data/files from the MacOSX side? (i.e. all my files etc will be fine when I erase the Windows partition?)

Thanks in advance. I'm a very nervous bootcamper since an incident with my old mac...

harryb2448
30th September 2012, 12:48 PM
Yes simply go into BootCamp Assistant and select the uninstall option. Do not use Disk Utility to try an remove the partition.

gehenna
30th September 2012, 01:08 PM
I've found that, consistently across a few of my Macs, once a BC partition is removed (correctly via the utility) it's nearly impossible to create another BC partition down the track until I image the main partition, wipe the disk, and then restore the image.

I haven't tried under ML but this has certainly been the case for me across Snow Leopard and Lion.

Just something to be aware of if you run into this down the line when/if you try to recreate another BC.

MrJesseRoss
30th September 2012, 01:15 PM
I've found that too. I had to do a complete reinstall to get Bootcamp working again, because the Mac decided that there wasn't enough free space to install on a HDD with only 20GB used.

gehenna
30th September 2012, 03:34 PM
I've found that too. I had to do a complete reinstall to get Bootcamp working again, because the Mac decided that there wasn't enough free space to install on a HDD with only 20GB used.

Yeah for some reason it sometimes doesn't reallocate the free space on the partition properly. You can try erasing free space with Disk Utility but I've had no success with that option.

arlibie
30th September 2012, 10:47 PM
Thanks for your help guys!

So reverting once should be fine, but repartitioning afterwards may or may not be iffy?

bennyling
30th September 2012, 11:30 PM
Thanks for your help guys!

So reverting once should be fine, but repartitioning afterwards may or may not be iffy?

Pretty much, yeah.