PDA

View Full Version : New 4GEN 40GB

eni
27th August 2004, 03:20 PM
Unlike my powerbook... I love my new iPod. I've had it just over a week and I seem to be enjoying it more and more every day.

Firstly, yes I realise things could happen in a day or two. Maybe a new bigger iPod, maybe price changes if that occurs, etc.

Secondly, I've done the tests for the audio problems a few times and mine doesn't seem to have any problem which I'm quite relieved to report. Mine come with the slightest amount of glue like substance on the lower left corner, which easily wiped off. Luckily I didn't have it on the wheel like a few have had.

This is my first iPod and I bought it pretty blindly, not 'needing' it and not having fallen for all the product placement. Mainly I bought mine on the recommendations of others, and I'm glad I did. I love the interface and especially the click wheel. The reason I didn't buy an iPod before was because of the separate buttons, but that's just personal preference.

Suggestions to apple:
- [Edit: I am wrong about this. If anyone replies before reading this edit I apologise.] I hope I'm wrong and there is a way to do this, but you can hold the middle button to add to the on-the-go playlist...why not hold play (or something) to turn the backlight on? Keeps the simplicity yet adds much usability at night.

- Not really a suggestion, but I'm going to reformat mine FAT32 soon so it can be used to as in external HD to copy files for my PC. I know a lot of people do this. Is there 'really' a benefit of iPods not all coming formatted this way? I know it's not macs default file structure but considering macs can read it easily and how PC centric iPods are...

PS, sorry for leaving noPod/iPod-0 ;)

[Edit]
Interesting note, I'm finding since I have a powerbook and keeping the dock connected isn't ideal I'm using the dock as a charger permanently connected using the firewire cord and using the usb one to transfer music over.

yinyang
27th August 2004, 04:36 PM
hope it goes okay with the powerbook...!

but re the fat32 on your iPod...there is supposed to be a limit to individual files sizes if you format the drive to fat32 ie you can't copy a filethat's bigger then 4Gb onto your iPod.

not sure if that's an issue for you or not, but it's on a apple kb document (i'll post the link later if you want!)

Quamen
27th August 2004, 06:15 PM
THat's an issue with any FAT32 formatted drive. Not just the iPod.

Frier
28th August 2004, 12:40 PM
Why dont they make it so you have a choice between NTFS and FAT32

Quamen
28th August 2004, 02:59 PM
Because then the drive would be useless on anything but a newish windows machine. Win 98 machines can't read NTFS without third party software.

playa
28th August 2004, 08:05 PM
My iPod G4 40G is fantastic, it's my 2nd iPod and both are fantastic.
Also my Powerbook TI is fantastic.

After using PC's for years I'm now an apple only guy.

Exocet
7th September 2004, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Aug 28 2004, 02:59 PM
Because then the drive would be useless on anything but a newish windows machine. Win 98 machines can't read NTFS without third party software.
Yeah but iTunes need Win2K or greater to run the required services anyway.

Quamen
8th September 2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Exocet+Sep 7 2004, 10:52 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Exocet @ Sep 7 2004, 10:52 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Quamen@Aug 28 2004, 02:59 PM
Because then the drive would be useless on anything but a newish windows machine. Win 98 machines can&#39;t read NTFS without third party software.
Yeah but iTunes need Win2K or greater to run the required services anyway. [/b][/quote]
even so. An NTFS formatted iPod would then be useless on everything but a windows machine. FAT32 is the best filesystem for compatability between machines. Linux/Unix/OS X/windows can all read FAT32 and write to FAT32. That&#39;s not true for any other file system.

Of course if you&#39;re just going to use it with one operating system. Then you would just go with whatever that system uses.