PDA

View Full Version : 3 month old Powerbook + Noise = Unhappy

eni
27th August 2004, 02:51 PM
I have a 15" May/April (I forget) powerbook BTO with faster HD...which seems now to be stuffed.

Wednesday my powerbook started making a slight but noticeably grinding noise. I'm quite sure it's from the hard drive as it subsides a bit/lot when you hear the hard drive power down. After shutting it down over night I found the noise to have gone, only to discover that once the powerbook heats up the noise appears again.

The noise changes if you tilt the powerbook slightly in any direction, and unless you tilt it it's pretty much constant.

This powerbook so far has pretty much been used as a desktop replacement, barely ever leaving the house so it certainly isn't misuse. Does this sound right? I mean, I know the noise isn't right (it most certainly isn't normal hard drive noise), but is this a production fault? Or has something come loose? Any ideas or comments would be appreciated.

Also, would this be covered by applecare?
Thanks...

Disko
27th August 2004, 02:59 PM
definately take it in under warranty. I certainly would.

kim jong il
27th August 2004, 03:41 PM
Hey eni, backup ALL your valuable data now. Right now. I'd say hard drive failure is imminent. Definitely warranty (@3 months old I'm sure). (could it be a dodgy cooling fan? I can't hear it so I can't tell) Whatever it is, unusual noises are not normally a good sign.
Don't blame apple however; they did not manufacture the HD. Over the years I have had hard drives fail. Some do it dramatically (like yours), others die more slowly. Not usually this soon I must say, but it happens. For example my western digital drive is not aging anywhere near as gracefully as the seagate barracuda and I have quite an old IBM drive which is still perfect (quiet). I've heard other drives of similar age howl. Everyones mileage varies.
I promise you you will enjoy your powerbook experience yet.

kim

eni
27th August 2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks for your responses. I'll get it in as soon as I can...

Wow, decided to backup by copying to iPod...now noise has got louder. Plus powerbook top is starting to feel quite hot.... I think I might shut down for a while..

Bye.

eni
27th August 2004, 04:12 PM
I think my powerbook's gonna blow up O_o
I know I should be gone but I'm backing up.
Thanks for your help.

eni
27th August 2004, 04:57 PM
Sorry for posting again, it's more a chronological diary for myself.
Shut my powerbook down for 20 minutes and now the noise is gone again.

I'll have to get this in to be looked at, though I'm guessing they don't work on weekends and I have quite a few assignments I really need to do lately. Plus with my new wireless I can't get the net on my PC desktop. This is quite unfortunate..

[Edit]
Just booted off reinstall dvd and ran disk utility and it said the disk is fine. How do I demonstrate this fault to apple if it only occurs after a bit of use?

Currawong
28th August 2004, 08:19 AM
Any reputable Apple authorised repair agent wont have difficulty running it for a few hours to get the noise to start again. Could be a stuck fan, which would explain why the noise after it heats up.