PDA

View Full Version : Really Didn't think this was possible......

Oldmacs
18th September 2012, 11:17 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8435/7998131057_85b921d636.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79529975@N02/7998131057/)
Picture 4 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/79529975@N02/7998131057/) by oldmacs (http://www.flickr.com/people/79529975@N02/), on Flickr

nibbles
18th September 2012, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't have attempted it personally, i'm guessing it's a little slow for everything other than TextEdit?

Oldmacs
18th September 2012, 11:29 AM
iTunes Runs...... It just takes 2 minutes to load- But I have it playing a CD with the visualiser on! Its quite slow with this little RAM but it only takes 1 minute to boot! Basically I installed Leopard and have much more RAM for this Mac but I decided to see what the minimum ram for Leopard was. At 64 MB it doesn't boot at all, you get the Folder icon!

With upwards of 512 MB this machine runs quite well :)

Oldmacs
18th September 2012, 11:31 AM
Next Challenge is to see If I can boot a G3 in leopard.....

LCGuy
18th September 2012, 12:08 PM
I have Leopard running on my TiBook 500 with 1GB of RAM. Used LeopardAssist to get it running. Its slow, but usable.

skyhawkmatthew
18th September 2012, 12:32 PM
Next Challenge is to see If I can boot a G3 in leopard.....

Not possible, sorry! 10.5 was the first OS version to require AltiVec, available on the G4 and upward. You will just get a kernel panic on initial boot (trust me, I tried everything at the time).

I spent years with 10.4 on a 400MHz/384MB PowerBook G3; a friend of mine had a 400 or 450MHz Sawtooth G4 like the one above, but with more RAM, as a daily driver for a fair while too. Turn off the reflective dock and superfluous animations and it's really not *that* bad for general use!

Orestes
18th September 2012, 12:41 PM
It's perfectly possible, the CPU limitation for G4s is purely software. There's a few ways of doing it, Xpostfacto, Leopard assist or the dirty way of installing in another computer and then transferring the drive. It's also possible to install Leopard on a G3 with an upgrade card, you should be able to pick up one on eBay now for well under $100.

Oldmacs
18th September 2012, 12:45 PM
I know it is possible with the CPU limitation - What suprised me was the RAM!

skyhawkmatthew
18th September 2012, 12:50 PM
It's perfectly possible, the CPU limitation for G4s is purely software. There's a few ways of doing it, Xpostfacto, Leopard assist or the dirty way of installing in another computer and then transferring the drive. It's also possible to install Leopard on a G3 with an upgrade card, you should be able to pick up one on eBay now for well under $100.

I promise you you cannot install 10.5 on a pre-G4 processor. G4s below the 867MHz cutoff are fine, as they're still G4s, but you cannot put 10.5 on a G3. Of course you can on a G3 with a upgrade card, because it now has a G4!

EDIT: Looks like it may be possible with some serious hackery of the pre-release betas but beyond the scope of Xpostfacto, LeopardAssist or the install-and-move-the-drive way. I tried all of those methods when 10.5 came out and was not able to get my PowerBook G3 to boot.

Orestes
18th September 2012, 12:56 PM
Obviously not as you said it requires the G4s Altivec engine for vector processing, it is actually a fixed hardware limitation rather than a software limitation, but these days it can be overcome quite cheaply. The other 10.5 limitations are all soft because Apple didn't believe that it would run adequately on ancient machines by the standard of when 10.5 came out.

Kionon
18th September 2012, 01:04 PM
I ran 10.5.8 on my G4 PowerMacs (Gigabit and Quicksilver) with no problems.

iMic
27th September 2012, 01:48 AM
EDIT: Looks like it may be possible with some serious hackery of the pre-release betas but beyond the scope of Xpostfacto, LeopardAssist or the install-and-move-the-drive way. I tried all of those methods when 10.5 came out and was not able to get my PowerBook G3 to boot.

This. The pre-release betas had a lot of their G3 support intact where as the final release was stripped of it completely. I explored how to force Leopard to run on older processor architectures when I was developing LeopardAssist, but nothing even came close to getting a successful boot of the system. You can swap a G4 processor into a G3 equipped Mac (for example, a Yikes G4 processor runs in a G3 B&W or a G3 Beige), but that's the only method I'm aware of that will actually work. The presence of AltiVec is key.

As for the RAM... I tried booting Tiger on 64MB, which allowed it to start, but the system hard locked after a short while. Leopard on 128MB, although impressive, must be painful. These days Mountain Lion on 1GB feels like it's being pulled down... oh how the times (and requirements) have changed.

LCGuy
27th September 2012, 11:22 AM
Back when my iMac 333 was my main machine, it had a grand total of 160MB of RAM. A 128MB module and a 32MB module. The 128MB died, leaving me with a total of 32MB of RAM. Jaguar actually did manage to boot with that little RAM...but it wasn't what you'd call "usable". Not at all.

3 years after that, I had my current MacBook as my main machine, and upgraded it from 1GB to 4GB, since a whole 1GB wasn't quite enough anymore. As iMac600 said, its amazing how much requirements have changed.