PDA

View Full Version : Strange shit happens when you un/plug during sleep

forgie
23rd December 2005, 08:14 PM
I have noticed that if my iBook is asleep, and I plug in my LCD and USB mouse, then wake up my iBook, OSX has a bit of a fit.... sometimes, my desktop shows up on my LCD (which is 1280x1024) as 1024x768, and has no menu bar the USB mouse works fine, and some things actually work, but there's no menu bar!

The other day I did something similar, except I plugged in my LCD when the iBook was in the process of waking up... this caused a full on crash, where the iBook screen went light-blue, and the LCD didn't turn on at all. The iBook was completely non-responding. I had to start up off my Tiger DVD and repair permissions to get it to even startup. Everything seemed fine, but a few things that I'd done just before I put it to sleep weren't done, e.g. I had put Timbuktu Pro in my dock permanently, but when I started up it wasn't there.

Has anyone else noticed any wierd behaviour when plugging/unplugging during sleep/return from sleep?

Are there any official guidelines to follow on these matters? From now on, I'm waiting til everything has fully slept or fully woken up before I plug things in or pull them out.

neilrobinson
23rd December 2005, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by forgie@Dec 23 2005, 06:14 PM
From now on, I'm waiting til everything has fully slept or fully woken up before I plug things in or pull them out.
always a good idea! i wouldn't recommend adding / removing anything during wake-up.

neil

p53
24th December 2005, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by forgie@Dec 23 2005, 08:14 PM
Has anyone else noticed any wierd behaviour when plugging/unplugging during sleep/return from sleep?

Are there any official guidelines to follow on these matters? From now on, I'm waiting til everything has fully slept or fully woken up before I plug things in or pull them out.
Apparently it's ok to unplug (but NOT plug in) certain USB devices such as keyboards & mice when the Mac is asleep.
Definitely avoid plugging in or unplugging while the Mac is going to sleep or waking up.
Plugging in/unplugging external monitors while asleep/waking/sleeping can cause you to lose the mouse cursor which is bloody annoying.

p53