PDA

View Full Version : Why does my iBook take 5 seconds to sleep?

forgie
23rd December 2005, 07:40 PM
When I first got my iBook, it would sleep almost instantly when I closed the lid. Now it takes up to five seconds every time I close the lid.... what piece of software would be likely to cause the delay?

Rayd
23rd December 2005, 07:43 PM
you could check, just open up activity monitor (HD/Applications/Utilites/) and look at the processes happeing.

forgie
24th December 2005, 03:12 PM
Activity monitor stops updating when you close the lid. (I am relying on my LCD to see Activity Monitor). I was sort of wondering what OSX actually does in the way of 'housekeeping' when you tell it to sleep, and why entering sleep takes much longer now then it did before.

AusMac
24th December 2005, 09:03 PM
do you run a screensaver?

batb0y
25th December 2005, 12:12 AM
1. How do u know it takes 5 seconds AFTER you close the lid ?

2. Does it really matter ?

Rayd
25th December 2005, 12:49 AM
nooo i mean check what proccess is taking excessive amounts of CPU or RAM or what ever, and terminate that app and see if it does anything. :P also, you can just make the computer go to sleep by just clicking "sleep" from the apple menu, not just closing the lid :P

forgie
3rd January 2006, 06:23 PM
Yep, I run a screensaver. I know it takes a few seconds because the 'throbbing' LED doesn't come on for a few seconds. It used to be almost instantaneous.

As for the question of whether or not it really matters....? No, it doesn't REALLY matter, but as an engineer and a person of scientific curiosity I like to know what's going on in all aspects of my life, including my computer.

It seems like it's taking less time now, like around a second or two.

The main reason that it concerns me is because when I first got my iBook I could close the lid, and the LED would come on almost instantly, and I wouldn't worry about the hard disk spinning etc, I'd just put it away. The other day, there was a quite a delay, and I don't feel too comfortable with throwing my iBook around will the hard disk is still spinning.

(some smart-ass is going to say: "you should be gentle with your iBook all the time, so this is all trivial".... well don't bother)

iSlayer
3rd January 2006, 06:54 PM
as the others suggested its completly normal.
The time depends on what the system is doing at that time