PDA

View Full Version : Ituned... finito... bye bye... and so all Mac users are forced to 10.6.8 for iPhone 5

Orestes
14th September 2012, 12:18 AM
Windows XP goes on being supported... This I do not get... but what have we lost? Itunes will still as always do its job, my XServe G5 will still be able to connect to an Apple TV3, I just can't sync with iTunes and no iOS updates. Is this a big deal? I won't miss it while I have an intel Mac, I knew this day was coming sooner rather than later.

Does this affect the ability of my G5 to keep doing what it does now? Not in the slightest... I think to be honest this whole thing is overblown, while I tweak my G5 to get more out of it each day and it becomes a completely headless media server for my digital home projector theatre and a transmission daemon.

I certainly do not see this as a bad day.

Oldmacs
14th September 2012, 12:57 PM
Its really very disappointing- iTunes was the last real application from apple being supported on Power PC :( I don't understand because 10.7 is such as small update it must be apple forcing people to upgrade.

Lutze
14th September 2012, 01:26 PM
The difference between the Mac and the PC versions of iTunes is light and day when it comes to programming versions.

Apple stopped producing powerpc hardware in 2007 - it's now 2012. They can't just code one version of iTunes and it will work on two different operating systems - 10.6 PPC and 10.6 Intel are different -> from that point on they have diverged hugely.

When it comes to Windows development Microsoft have not really taken the leap forward in OS that Apple did at that point. Your 5 year old hardware is OLD. You don't ACTUALLY need iTunes to use an iPhone either.

Personally I thank my lucky stars that they are finally doing something to fix iTunes. If it means dropping PPC then so be it.

grfxninja
14th September 2012, 01:30 PM
Personally I thank my lucky stars that they are finally doing something to fix iTunes. If it means dropping PPC then so be it.

+1!!!!!!
iTunes has needed an overhaul for years. Hopefully this new version will bring back some speed that it has lost with everything being crammed into it (media management etc.)

Biallystock
14th September 2012, 01:36 PM
When it comes to Windows development Microsoft have not really taken the leap forward in OS that Apple did at that point. Your 5 year old hardware is OLD. You don't ACTUALLY need iTunes to use an iPhone either.

That's putting a spin on the fact that Apple was forced to make the fourth huge switch in both hardware and software due to previous decisions becoming deadended. Every time it has been the Apple consumer who has to pay through the nose, for lost compatibility, down time and often degraded performance in the transitions.

I am struggling to find what is "fixed" in iTunes. The navigation is as muddled as ever and I can't see any performance improvements. Just looks like the old iTunes.

Orestes
14th September 2012, 02:02 PM
The reality is exactly that PPC as a platform is not just old, it's not even deprecated, it's completely removed. For iTunes to maintain development it was really about maintaining a completely separate fork for a completely different CPU arch, for a computer Apple not only doesn't sell for but hasn't developed new apps for in the past 2 years.

There is nothing left in 10.5.8 that would make it compatible with 10.6.8 they took out all the PPC code, the developer tools for PPC are just not up to date anymore and fat binaries waste resources.

It doesn't mean your Mac can't do what it did before, my G5 is completely oblivious to updates and yet it serves media, it seeds and torrents my downloads and stores my backups as a server, as it would have done when it was new. I have effectively lost zero functionality.

You gotta remember, function over form an OS is just the tool you use to get a job done form is just pretty guff we stop to stare at that serves zero functional purpose and adds bloat to the OS and its programs.

Can my G5 run the latest version of a stable browser like Camino so I can download content, check... can it serve content to my home network, check. Can it handle all my backups with a couple terrabytes worth of storage and fast bootup times from an SSD thats another check.

What have I lost? As my back end, I have lost effectively nothing.

Oldmacs
14th September 2012, 02:52 PM
The 'New iTunes' is not out yet, 10.7 is which is a small update that just brings iOS 6/ iPhone 5/ New iPod support to itunes.
The New iTunes is out in October. I can fully understand that they wouldn't support that version on PPC- but a tiny update from 10.6- 10.7 with no new features?

bennyling
14th September 2012, 02:56 PM
The 'New iTunes' is not out yet, 10.7 is which is a small update that just brings iOS 6/ iPhone 5/ New iPod support to itunes.
The New iTunes is out in October. I can fully understand that they wouldn't support that version on PPC- but a tiny update from 10.6- 10.7 with no new features?

But iTunes 10.7 requires OS X 10.6.8 though, which is (I think) the issue that we're talking about here, much less iTunes 11.

~Coxy
14th September 2012, 04:14 PM
The point is that a minor iTunes update to support the new phone could well have kept PPC support.

So much for the "Macs last longer" argument.

Orestes
14th September 2012, 05:26 PM
They do last longer, you've had 7 years to sit on your hands and twiddle your thumbs, or a mixture of both. We all knew this would happen... you've lost no functionality from your iPhone itself, you've lost no functionality from iTunes, you can update and download apps without the help of iTunes.

You can now pick up a cheap and compatible Intel Mac for less than $500 and the cycle continues as it was, I skip dived 3 Macs as a kid, a 6100/66, a G3/233, and a 7600/200 all of which were great computers and lasted a long time. Intel Macs have lasted a long time, some of them 4 significant OS updates from 10.4 to 10.8. I picked up my Xserve G5 for not much more than $100... Those who are PPC enthusiasts will continue to rescue PPC Macs. Those that want a cheap intel mac will have a steady supply of hand me downs that can run the latest software... nothing really changes. PPC is the new 68k.

You can not ask much more than a system that has done every bit of the equivalent of lasting from System 7 to OS 9. Eventually they have to be retired or take up different purposes. My G5 Xserve as a back end would be the envy of many not just for its form, its a good looking piece of kit for a server, but for the amount of power it has to do the job and I can go on saying I rescued another PPC Mac as a PPC enthusiast.

Oldmacs
14th September 2012, 06:14 PM
But iTunes 10.7 requires OS X 10.6.8 though, which is (I think) the issue that we're talking about here, much less iTunes 11.

I know that we are discussing 10.7- its just that someone was saying that they didn't see any changes in 10.7 so i was explaining that the big changes are coming in 11/ the new iTunes.

Oldmacs
14th September 2012, 06:18 PM
That is my point completely, support could have been easily added. They support selectively- they still support XP because they don't care if their competitors customers are using an 11 year old OS- they don't support their 5 year OS (Leopard) so that their customer will upgrade to make money.

Oldmacs
14th September 2012, 06:24 PM
Just to clarify- I fully understand and support that apple moved on from Power Pc- I too moved from Power Pc to intel in early 2011- I realize supporting Power PC, when it is not viable or reliable is stupid. However not supporting such as small update which lets people use iOS6 devices is just greed.

Orestes
14th September 2012, 07:15 PM
The thing with XP is that it still exists in large quantities on Netbooks and low powered PCs, it was only really last year we saw the trend towards Windows 7 Basic. The main difference here With Windows XP is that they Microsoft really dropped the ball which is some what of the norm for every one good release they have one average release to fix up. 95a to 95b, Windows 98 to Windows 98SE and then Windows ME which was average again. Likewise Windows NT good, Windows 2000 average, Windows XP good, Windows Vista average, Windows 7 good, Windows 8 average...

People have stuck with Windows XP because for Windows it is a fairly rock solid release right now and corporations would still be using it but for the fact that it is no longer in support by Microsoft instead they're left with Windows 7 Professional which is bloated in the same way XP was when it was new, but will become a solid OS over time as hardware catches up.

Either way, there's maybe 10% of users out there now running OS X, and out of that 10% maybe 1% will still be running Leopard. Windows XP still last year had about a quarter of the Windows market share. That share is large and significant, where the share for Leopard is not and there hasn't been a machine sold new with Leopard for 4 years. My 13" Aluminum MacBook was sold with Leopard but Snow Leopard came out a few months later.

The average lifespan of a PC is 3 years before its too slow to do anything with Windows software, that's the reality. To get 7 out of a PPC machine is really quite something and even then your PPC Mac is software interoperable with every tool everyone else uses, MS Office 2008 uses XML formats, the Adobe Creativity suite is interoperable, Final Cut, I don't see the issue here.

I know it sucks... but if it didn't happen now it would have happened with ITunes 11 6 months down the track which would have been too hard to port (that's what it is a completely different CPU arch) with anient SDKs.