PDA

View Full Version : Sharing Files And Internet With PMG4

dave2889
8th September 2012, 04:01 PM
My old Power Mac G4 AGP with OS9 has no AirPort card or ethernet cable handy (my router is in a separate room), I was wondering, instead of buying an AirPort card or running a long ethernet cable under the house from my router to the Power Mac, is it possible to share my MacBook Pro's internet connection with it using an ethernet cable between the two? Would I be able to share files between them as well? I can get an AirPort card if it won't work, just trying to save a bit of money here.

cosmichobo
8th September 2012, 04:33 PM
I don't see why not... On the Macbook Pro: System Preferences/Sharing -- Turn on file sharing and internet sharing... (tick ethernet's box)

JaimeSharp
8th September 2012, 05:04 PM
Should Work fine though you may need to configure some appletalk preferences cannot remember off hand on the macbook pro perhaps though maybe not tunr on sharing on both if you want to as well as internet sharing as comic has stated

Orestes
8th September 2012, 05:25 PM
Cosmichobo is right, turn on internet sharing on the MacBook, set the Power Macs TCP/IP control panel to ethernet and to acquire an IP address via DHCP and your good to go for the internet. For file sharing you will need to go into the file sharing control panel and enable file sharing and click the checkbox for file sharing over ethernet.

You will be able to access the Power Mac by whatever IP address its assigned. You will have to use AFP (Apple Talk over Ethernet) to bridge the gap though as Apple Talk as a stand alone protocol has been completely removed since 10.6.

From the Power Mac you should be able to use the MacBooks ip address from the chooser, while it should pop up in the side window of the finder on your MacBook or if not from the finder click on go, connect to server and then type in afp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where x is replace with ip.

If you have connection problems make sure that your firewall is turned off on your MacBook.

dave2889
8th September 2012, 07:06 PM
I can get the internet connected, but still no filesharing. It's also a bit of a pain in the a*** to have to turn my file sharing of all the time too. I might get an AirPort card. I can get one for about $30 @ macsales.com. Is that a good price for the original AirPort card?

cosmichobo
8th September 2012, 07:36 PM
I'd check eBay first... But it's probably not unreasonable.

nibbles
8th September 2012, 08:36 PM
Why not a USB dongle? I've got a D-Link one that I used to use with my iBook G3, worked with anything from 10.3 - 10.5.

EDIT: Not what you need, I missed the part about OS 9.

dave2889
9th September 2012, 12:33 PM
I found a cheaper one on eBay: Original Airport card WiFi Wireless 802.11b iBook G3 | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Original-Airport-card-WiFi-Wireless-802-11b-iBook-G3-/270787483952?pt=AU_Laptop_Accessories&hash=item3f0c311930#ht_3865wt_1413)

Not sure if it's genuine, due to it being so cheap, the seller having a large number (69 at the time of writing), and being located in China. Does look pretty genuine to me, but still not 100% sure.

mmulhern
9th September 2012, 12:59 PM
The downside of getting an Airport card is that it and MOS9 will more likely than not only handle WEP. Get yourself an ethernet/wifi bridge that will plug into the RJ45 of the Pmac and the bridge will connect with the wireless network. Something like this on eBAy might be the best route.

New WIFI Bridge Dongle Wireless for IPTV Dreambox Xbox PS3 and Ethernet Devices | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-WIFI-Bridge-Dongle-Wireless-IPTV-Dreambox-Xbox-PS3-and-Ethernet-Devices-/261078315591?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item3cc97af247)

dave2889
9th September 2012, 01:15 PM
I'll look into that. Since it connects via RJ45 I assume the Power Mac will pick it up as an ethernet cable, and thus will be compatible with OS 9?

EDIT: Will get one of these: NetGear WNCE2001 Universal WiFi Adapter for HDTV Blu-ray Player XBOX Game Consol | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NetGear-WNCE2001-Universal-WiFi-Adapter-HDTV-Blu-ray-Player-XBOX-Game-Consol-/180967102580?pt=AU_Components&hash=item2a227ad874#ht_1960wt_1156)

Orestes
9th September 2012, 06:30 PM
Yes it's like the old AAUI to Ethernet adapters that you could get for the older Power Macs which converted AAUI into either 10base2 or 10baset. These convert your ethernet connection into a wireless connection.