PDA

View Full Version : Vintage Macintosh of the Week #12 - Macintosh LC 475

Oldmacs
6th September 2012, 10:29 PM
Hi All, Finally got back around to doing this.
This weeks vintage Macintosh is the LC 475- Which was also sold as a Quadra and multiple Performas.

I choose this mac, because it is my favourite Mac ever, and the first Mac my family got and the first computer I ever used!
The LC 475 was an updated version of the LC III, It was introduced in October of 1993. Sporting a Motorola 68LC040 running at 25 MHZ, this Mac used a modified version of the LC case, which had been introduced on the manual eject versions of the earlier Lcs. The case design was less sharp, it tended to be more rounded in the front especially. The LC 475 bought performance updates to an already versatile machine. Popular with schools for its compact design, simple nature and low price, the performance upgrades only made it more compelling. The 475 was sold right into the Power Pc era, till July of 1996. Being the last Pizza Box mac it did not really have a successor, with Apple favouring all in one designs for the low end education market.

http://www.stocksy.co.uk/images/475/lc_475.jpg

Full Specs:

AKA
Macintosh LC 475
Performa 475
Performa 476

Essentials
Family: Macintosh Quadra
Codename: Aladdin, Primus
Gestalt ID: 94
Minimum OS: 7.1
Maximum OS: 8.1
Introduced: October 1993
Terminated: October 1994

Processor
CPU: Motorola MC68LC040
CPU Speed: 25 MHz
FPU: available via 68040 upgrade
Bus Speed: 25 MHz
Register Width: 32-bit
Data Bus Width: 32-bit
Address Bus Width: 32-bit
ROM: 1 MB
RAM Type: 72 pin SIMM
Minimum RAM Speed: 60 ns
Onboard RAM: 8 MB
RAM slots: 1
Maximum RAM: 36 MB
Level 1 Cache: 4 kB data, 4 kB instruction
Expansion Slots: 1 LC III PDS

Video
VRAM: 512 kB - 1 MB (2 sockets)
Max Resolution: 8 bit 832x768
Video Out: DB-15

Storage
Hard Drive: 80-250 MB
Floppy Drive: 1.4 MB SuperDrive

Input/Output
ADB: 1
Serial: 2 Mini DIN-8
SCSI: DB-25
Audio Out: stereo 8 bit
Audio In: mono 8 bit
Speaker: mono

Miscellaneous
Power: 30 Watts
Dimensions: 2.9" H x 12.2" W x 15.3" D
Weight: 8.8 lbs.

If anyone had this model, please post your memories and if anyone would like to correct my information, please again do so.

Byrd
6th September 2012, 10:40 PM
The LC475 is one of my favourite Macs; I used to attend AUSOM back in the 90's and the "Youth and Adventure" club (read: teenage pirating ring) we mostly all had compact B&W Macs to play with. When the LC475 came out, it was explosive as it provided good performance and price; many kids/people in the group bought one to basically play Marathon. And it did it well.

It's a great machine to collect and store too. I recommend the 33Mhz overclock (remove one resistor), upgrade to a full '040 (needs heatsink), and a faster HD to make it one of the more capable 68K machines around.

Oldmacs
6th September 2012, 10:41 PM
Mine is dead :( But Neoxide is going to send me another one to use for parts for this one. It was my childhood mac and I love it to death still!

cosmichobo
6th September 2012, 11:06 PM
HATED IT!

:)

Cos it superseded my already superseded LCIII...

Oldmacs
6th September 2012, 11:23 PM
HOW CAN YOU HATE IT!!!!!
It was the best !!!!
( :P )

cosmichobo
6th September 2012, 11:37 PM
I bought my LCIII... it was then superseded by the LCIII (2) and LC475, then there was the similarly priced (if you inc the monitor) all-in-one LC5xx's...

I was sooooo annoyed...

I'm sure I've read that the LCIII was one of the most quickly superseded Macs...

Oldmacs
6th September 2012, 11:48 PM
That must have really sucked! :(

cosmichobo
7th September 2012, 12:25 AM
I'd saved my money for about a year... sold the 2nd hand Classic my parents had bought me... rejoiced at moving into colour, with sound recording (good for HyperCard stacks) and System 7...

Then sighed for a few years watching everything whiz by my head...

harryb2448
7th September 2012, 07:37 AM
Great machine with OS 7. The update to OS 7.0.1 was, from memory, about twelve floppies obtainable from the then Sydney MUG. 8MB memory and 128MB was enormous after using dual floppy machines. Combined with an RBT colour display was a you beaut machine.

neoxide
9th September 2012, 11:49 PM
Like Oldmacs, my first Mac experience was a 475... it was my mum's machine, and despite all of the coaxing from my dad (who was a software developer working with OS/2 at the time, of all things) she got the Mac. I've never upgraded it, but made dozens of little documents in Clarisworks 3.0 when I was little and eventually cleaned it up a little (the data on it, I mean).

I noticed with the 475, and possibly other LCs, that nowadays I need to switch it on twice before a picture comes up. What does that mean?

vivid2
10th September 2012, 01:03 AM
My first Mac was an LC475, bought in April 1994, for $3800 tax ex from Computers Now in Victoria (no SA sellers had stock). The price included a 14" [cough] monitor with the exuberant resolution of 640 x 480 pixels. I made a lot of money with that little box, but also spent $1100 for 32MB of RAM, and $650 for an external (300MB?) SCSI HDD.

Sold it to fund an LC630 (built-in CD drive!), but the 475 came back to me as a trade-in some years later. Still have it somewhere. ;)

Oldmacs
10th September 2012, 03:13 PM
Neoxide, the picture coming up twice problem is usually the PRAM batteries dying in my experience, as the LCD are somewhat dependant on it for some reason.

neoxide
10th September 2012, 07:41 PM
Neoxide, the picture coming up twice problem is usually the PRAM batteries dying in my experience, as the LCD are somewhat dependant on it for some reason.

LCD?

I'll need to take the batteries out anyway. I've already had one burst on me and ruin a Classic. I just pulled one out of the SE/30 that sits on my desk. It's fantastic having one of those long TORX screwdrivers. It's like the trademark of a mac collector...

Oldmacs
10th September 2012, 08:55 PM
Sorry, Was typing on my iPad which autocorrects, I meant the Lcs are dependant. I just buy mine at Dick Smith!

Dog Knight
12th March 2013, 01:34 PM
The LC475 is one of my favourite Macs; I used to attend AUSOM back in the 90's and the "Youth and Adventure" club (read: teenage pirating ring) we mostly all had compact B&W Macs to play with. When the LC475 came out, it was explosive as it provided good performance and price; many kids/people in the group bought one to basically play Marathon. And it did it well.

I remember 'Youth & Adventure'. I used to lug my Performa 5260/120 along to the meet's for quite a while.

Eventually we got several LC 475's donated and used them to run a old network game (Bolo?).

Was good fun. I remember the first person to bring the original 233mhz iMac to the group. The envy of many of us.

I also remember when one of us got a CD burner for the first time. The group flourished for a while when that happened :P