PDA

View Full Version : Ask a stupid question, get a sympathetic answer dept.

Leith
5th September 2012, 06:21 PM
Hi everyone, I'm new to the wonderful world of Imac and have a question that I fear may sound stupid but here goes.

I am in the process of transferring files from a hard drive (stored photos, docs, image files etc) to my new imac.
Having been used to a PC file system for years, I am unsure of where on the imac I can have these files live. They are currently on the desktop and I want to move them into the mac system somewhere. I want to keep the desktop clean so am after the recommended storage place for files.

Be kind guys..

Cheers,
Leith

icant
5th September 2012, 06:29 PM
To start, you can store them in your home folder. When in Finder, press command-shift-h (your home folder opens). Make a new folder (command-shift-n). Then drag all files into that folder.

Sorted.

Fingers
5th September 2012, 06:42 PM
Unless you are against it for some reason, you could put the photo's into iPhoto...?

if you connect a drive with photo's on it, there is a chance iPhoto will automatically open up and ask if you wan to import....otherwise open iPhoto yourself, click on File, and then import to Library.

As far as miscellaneous doc's, my desktop is quite clean. Just a single folder for each family member, and within that, everyone just organises their own in their own system... so folder within folder within folder, down to appropriate doc's all sorted.

To create a folder, simply click on File from the desktop (top left) and then New Folder.......you should also just be able to drag and drop folders from an external hard drive.

I'd say it may take you a while to learn to drive it, and you may rearrange things as you work out what suits you best, but I'm sure y7ou'l get used to it and appreciate how simple things are to do.

Tony.

corowakid
5th September 2012, 07:06 PM
After years of using PCs, the change to iMac was OK, but I still use the following for MY work, and MY Work only. That way I can find all my files in one place, and it makes it much simpler for assembling all my files for a bulk copy/transfer session.

I simply make a Folder (for want of a better word I use "Bin" as the name), and from there I add sub-folders for all the classes of files I make, need and download. Hence, my Photos are in a sub-folder called (guess) Photos. In Photos I have sub-folders for all my photos, based on location, occasion, business and personal etc. There's roughly 10,000 there at the moment, and I can zero in one any one really quick. Using Spotlight might work, but I'm not always able to remember a file's name, but I'm a good bet to remember what/where/when, which leads me in my search.

I'm not dogmatic about what people use, frankly I could care less. All I know is this system works for me, and has, for 20 years. And I've used the same system in my Mac/Windows/Unix machines, and having the standard way on each computer (8 at last count) makes my personal file information much easier to find. FWIW

Leith
5th September 2012, 08:41 PM
You guys rock.. thanks a lot... I'm liking this forum already!!

Cheers n beers,
Leith

warrens
6th September 2012, 08:02 PM
OK,....Will somebody tell which site use to give my snow leopard 10.6.8 hard drive a good clean up. ( free of course ).

warrens
6th September 2012, 08:02 PM
OK,....Will somebody tell which site use to give my snow leopard 10.6.8 hard drive a good clean up. ( free of course ).

warrens
6th September 2012, 08:11 PM
Well, I can't se much point of hanging around in here. I ask a simple question and I get sarcastic answer. It's my first time into this site and I am sure there are some decent people out the. I am new on computers and newer on a mac. I am heading up the hill to 80 years old and definitely need assistance.I guess I might go out the back and ask me dog. At least he wags his tail when I talk to him. Warren

teej
6th September 2012, 08:41 PM
Well, I can't se much point of hanging around in here. I ask a simple question and I get sarcastic answer. It's my first time into this site and I am sure there are some decent people out the. I am new on computers and newer on a mac. I am heading up the hill to 80 years old and definitely need assistance.I guess I might go out the back and ask me dog. At least he wags his tail when I talk to him. Warren

I don't see the answer you're referring to - there just seems to be just 3 posts in a row from you. :confused:

Maybe a mods learning the ropes and has merged threads in some odd way or something. Anyway, to answer your question generally you don't clean up a Mac. If you've filled up it's hard disk and aren't sure where the space has gone or if something out of the ordinary has happened and something is in need of a fix there is utilities/routines that can help but there's not really any crucial regular maintenance tasks that need to be done.