PDA

View Full Version : Help needed - I've killed my Macbook Pro :(

milliedog
4th September 2012, 10:05 PM
So yes, I will accept the blame for this as the computer was functioning perfectly until I opened it up to replace the hard-drive. It's a 15 inch non-unibody MBP.

(At this point I feel that I must point out that I have replaced the hard-drive in pretty much every mac I've every owned, from an iMac G3 to an aluminium iMac & a lot in between).

I followed the OWC instruction video (How to replace a hard drive in a 15" MacBook Pro - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K9r1UAVq9AU)), but when put back together - absolutely no sign of life when the power button is pressed. I opened it again, checked that the keyboard ribbon connector was in place (the power button is connected through there)…. it was. Still nothing. Plugged into power - no difference.

No I didn't use a grounding strap, but the area that I used is very low static (wood, vinyl floor) & I did touch the tap before starting.

So a question to the techies - is there anything that I could have missed?

Mutters
4th September 2012, 10:51 PM
I reckon you've just missed something. I did the same replacement on my pre-unibody with no problems. Didn't use a strap either - timber vinyl environment. Off the top of my head I can't remember all the connections, but that keyboard one is very delicate. So you'll have to go right back though to disconnecting and reconnecting the new HD I think.
Fingers crossed.

mutters

harryb2448
5th September 2012, 07:49 AM
aAd when replacing the drive consider replacing the cable. They are pretty delicate and heat makes them brittle and likely to crack with the slightest movement. Keep us posted doubt if you have actually killed it?

milliedog
5th September 2012, 08:02 AM
Ah-ha. You mean the keyboard ribbon or the hard drive cable? Both look to be equally fragile. If it's the hard-drive cable, I'd still expect it to boot though.

icant
5th September 2012, 11:51 AM
Doesn't sound like a hard disk cable (screen would light up and give question mark sign, and would boot from external drive). Maybe plug in external power (does green light come on?), and hold down power key? Or do the SMC reset finger combos?

My anecdotal experience is you have to be really unlucky to have damage from static discharge. But I guess when it happens it does.

So sad. My Rev A MacBook Pro is still running with a replaced HD.

milliedog
5th September 2012, 05:34 PM
I tried power (didn't leave it on for long as the battery is five LED charged). Orange light was on. Tried the SMC reset, although nothing happened (which makes sense if the power button is not working).

milliedog
5th September 2012, 09:08 PM
I found the instruction on how to bridge the power pads on the logic board (circumventing a potentially broken keyboard connector). No luck there :(

Byrd
6th September 2012, 06:46 AM
You will need to backtrack your steps and pull the hard disk you installed too to see if the machine will boot. That could be the problem as well. Pretty unlkely that you've shorted something out, but it's no doubt a ribbon cable somewhere ... it'll be small to find, that's for sure!

milliedog
7th September 2012, 07:00 PM
I'm sure it will be small :( But I'm getting pretty good at dismantling it now.

Byrd
7th September 2012, 09:39 PM
Some of the ribbon connectors can be easily dislodged, or fall partly out during disassembly - good luck, I'll sure you'll find the problem :)