PDA

View Full Version : Powerbook Keyboard Backlit = DEAD!

zen
26th August 2004, 11:36 PM
:huh: Let me just explain what's the go with this at the moment.

Few days ago I somehow managed to drag a few &#39;system&#39; files <_< (which I cant remeber what exacly they are now) into the trash and deleted it. Everything on OSX is acting strange so I put the installation cd in and did a repair of the OS. Now everything seems to work fine apart from the keyboard backlit. all the brightness/sound/numlock etc seems to work BUT the backlit keys...

What would you suggest me to do?

I&#39;ve considered formating and starting fresh again (which will definatly fix all problems) but I&#39;ll leave that till last resort since I&#39;ve got aprox 60GB of data on it already which I currently don&#39;t have anywhere else to dump to. :(

Maybe there is another way around to &#39;enable&#39; those keys again? :blink: I&#39;m fairly positive that there is nothing wrong with the hardware itself, 99.9% sure its software based problem :ph34r:

:o HELP ME AND MY POWERBOOK&#33;&#33;&#33;

Cam
27th August 2004, 08:22 AM
External drive for backup and re-install completely from scratch?

Ozi
27th August 2004, 08:45 AM
Check "System Preferences/Keyboard and mouse"

Then go to Keyboard and check that you have selected the box "illuminate keyboard in low light conditions"

zen
27th August 2004, 11:25 PM
Originally posted by Ozi@Aug 27 2004, 08:45 AM
Check "System Preferences/Keyboard and mouse"

Then go to Keyboard and check that you have selected the box "illuminate keyboard in low light conditions"
Checked, option isnt there&#33;&#33; I&#39;ll show you what I mean on sunday <_<

Ozi
27th August 2004, 11:31 PM
Thats just wierd&#33; :S I dunno what you&#39;ve done. We can compare and fix our 15" pBooks together at the BBQ. :) The attached file shows where the option is in my system preferences.

DJY
23rd September 2004, 06:19 PM
In a low light setting or darkish room have you tried playing with the
FN F8 or F9 or F10 options?

I have all the right boxes checked in System Prefs - but noticed a couple of times mine wasnt&#39; working either. I had played with customising options for performance / battery power etc...

FN + F8 turns them off
Fn + F9 and Fn + F10 are like dimmer switch - lower and higher - or duller and brighter.

Ozi
23rd September 2004, 07:14 PM
DJY, i met Zen a little while ago, and the settings for the backlight are not in system preferences. Likewise, it just doesnt work even in a dark room (or if you cover the speaker grills with your hands, which are were the light sensor is)

I think he was going to reinstall the system software. :)

Gothikon
23rd September 2004, 07:50 PM
try re-installing with the latest 10.3.5 combo update. If that fails try and archive and install from your PowerBook OS X discs, you don&#39;t really need to worry about losing any data if you do that.

Why were you deleting random files anyway?

p53
27th September 2004, 03:06 PM
Zen, I just read about this problem at Apple Discussion boards this morning.
Did you install the Java 1.4.2 update 2? That seems to have been the culprit. Reinstalling the 10.3.5 combo update was given as the solution.