PDA

View Full Version : Getting a Macbook Pro 13 Inch

Oldmacs
3rd September 2012, 10:43 PM
Hi All,
Might be buying a 13 inch Macbook Pro next weekend. I will only be able to afford the baseline model, but have a few questions.
1) - I am pretty sure I know the answer to this one. Is it going to have the performance to last me a few years? Keep in mind that I am currently on an early 2008 Macbook Pro and frequently use G4 and G5 macs. I do a lot of school work, Xcode, iMovie, Adobe CS 5, Photoshop, Games such as Sims 2, Sim City, Age of Empires and a few other small games. I can already do most of this on my 4 year old White Macbook, but I can't run final cut or the latest versions of some things and everything is getting slower.

2) Would it void my warranty to put a 7200 RPM hard drive and upgrade the Ram?

3) How long do the batteries last in real world situations?

I am very exited to be getting this Macbook, It will be my first new mac and hopefully last me quite a few years :D

Mutters
9th September 2012, 10:37 PM
I know this could be difficult, but why not opt for a refurb late 2011 15" MBP?
It's less than $200 extra, discrete graphics, more ports, better architecture(?) and better screen.
Also consider buying via the education site for even more savings.

EDIT: Whoops - forget it - looked at your post date.

Orestes
10th September 2012, 01:20 AM
If you go with the 15" its just too big if you want to cart it around uni where the 13" MacBook Pro is just right... The 13" MacBook Pro weighs 2kg where the 15" weighs a bit more and the form factor makes it cumbersome where I can carry my 13" MBP around all day without a hassle.

It will be plenty fast enough for a few years yet, particularly if you put in 8GB or more of RAM and a reasonable 7200rpm hard drive. I have a 500GB Seagate Momentus XT in mine.

Neither upgrade will void your warranty if you do it yourself, but you will need a set of torx screw drivers and the appropriate sized phillips head as well to do it.

How long do the batteries last in real world situations? Hmm... watching videos maybe 2 or 3 hours, just basic usage with the screen and backlight turned down 4 or 5 hours.

You might run into some issues if you need Rosetta for certain older PPC games, my 2011 MacBook Pro runs Snow Leopard fine, I'm not sure about the 2012 MacBook Pro though.

Oldmacs
10th September 2012, 08:16 AM
Thanks everyone, I have ended up getting a new 13 inch pro, just the baseline model- it is perfect!
I have got a 7200 rpm driv to put into it and will do that soon, the RAM will have to wait a little while. The battery lasts a long time!
I reckon I could get a long time out if it, seeing as I could get 5 hours out of my white MacBook just using word with very low brightness, no wifi ect.

Orestes
10th September 2012, 11:39 AM
They're a great machine and your a notch up on me with the 2.5ghz CPU instead of the 2.3 in mine to make you feel better. You've also got turbo boost. You seriously won't max out one of these and I've thrown Photoshop files at mine that weigh a couple gigabyte for fun before I have.

With everything turned off you should get 5 hours on battery pretty easily.

Enjoy it.