PDA

View Full Version : Which MSN Instant Messenger Client should I use?

zen
26th August 2004, 10:57 PM
This is obiously a continuation of my previous MSN Messenger:mac (http://forums.appletalk.com.au/index.php?showtopic=1310) post.

Now tell me what your using! :lol:

dev_enter
26th August 2004, 11:05 PM
It depends on what other services you use... ICQ, MSN, do you use any others?
Also, are you able to pay for a client?

I'd say if you can pay for it, you probably can't go wrong with Proteus, it's the most professional looking client out there, probably the nicest one I used, I really didn't like Fire or AdiumX, but I only use ICQ, so I went with something simpler in the end.

Flying Ace
28th August 2004, 12:23 PM
I use Mac Messenger...forgot the link but look on macupdate. It's pretty good.

p996911turbo
28th August 2004, 01:05 PM
I used to use Proteus but I never really liked it. I now use aMSN (http://amsn.sourceforge.net). I love it! I use messenger every day and talk to heaps of people so I know a bit about messenger so far. aMSN's coolest feature is the fact it tells you when someone opens or closes a window to your conversation; I've freaked a lot of people out with that one...

elvis
29th August 2004, 10:11 AM
I've always used GAIM on linux, and Fire on MacOSX. I'd never heard of Adium until now, and seeing as it's based on libgaim, I might give it a go for a while.

Currawong
29th August 2004, 10:43 AM
I ended up purchasing Proteus, as it had the least issues and the most useful functionality of all the programs available.

eni
29th August 2004, 10:54 AM
I use Adium. I've tried Fire, didn't like it. I've tried Proteus, didn't like it. I've tried aMSN but at that point I was hooked on Adium so I'll admit it probably didn't get a fair chance.

I use Adium for MSN and Yahoo, and the _occasional_ AIM. Development's seemed to have slowed in recent weeks (that said it's probably a good thing, since it's around a new version every 2 weeks when before it was approx every friday). It works for me, but that's only my personal preference. I'll give people who use Proteus long term that it's probably better (considering it isn't free), but I'm happy where I am.

InfiniteAnthony
29th August 2004, 11:25 AM
I use Proteus because it does ICQ as well and the less programs i have open on my task bar the better. I will be purchasing proteus in the near future.

Crambo
29th August 2004, 06:42 PM
Adium's great and it just keeps on getting better with every revision, the Adium community seems to do the same!