PDA

View Full Version : Power adapter no longer working?

kyte
26th August 2012, 08:56 AM
Or has my battery suddenly decided it doesnt want to play anymore.

This morning, was working fine. A couple of hours later, I noticed that the power adapter light was orange and the battery icon was showing 92% and charging. Just now, no light in the little magsafe goody, and battery is down to 79% and dropping fast. I'm going to switch off now and fire up the old netbook, and wait to see what people may think of this one. Hoping its just the charger stuff and not the battery. I didnt take applecare :( (early 2011 13" MBP on ML with the latest updates)

Alec Fraser
26th August 2012, 09:24 AM
Even though you don't have AppleCare its still worth taking it into a genius bar. ]Something similar happened to me earlier in the year. It ended up being liquid damage on the battery (still no idea how that happened) and the replacement was about $180 out of warranty. Before replacing the battery they also replaced the MagSafe board which was about 40 or 50 from memory.

kyte
26th August 2012, 10:01 AM
I'm giving it a rest. it was all pretty hot when I unplugged, so am thinking that there may be an issue there. I've been working it pretty hard. However, tomorrow is cat surgery day at huge expense so whatever it is, its going to have to wait, if resting it doesnt fix it :( If the cat's treatment doesnt cost the expected $400, I may have enough left to take it to Apple on Tuesday morning.

Thanks for the headsup on cost, at least I know roughly what I'll be up for :-/

[edit] and the netbook just doesnt have the same feel. And I'm struggling to find something that will let me read/write an external drive thats mac formatted, from my Win7 partition. sighhh... these things are sent to try us.

bobsuncle2
26th August 2012, 10:07 AM
This happened to me the other day and the guys at the repair store, told me its some sort of memory reset thingy and all you need to do is unplug the adaptor from the wall and your laptop for about half an hour - 45 minutes and it will work fine then.

Not sure why this happens, but they treated it like it was any old normal thing.

Alec Fraser
26th August 2012, 10:10 AM
This happened to me the other day and the guys at the repair store, told me its some sort of memory reset thingy and all you need to do is unplug the adaptor from the wall and your laptop for about half an hour - 45 minutes and it will work fine then.

Not sure why this happens, but they treated it like it was any old normal thing.

He's talking about an SMC reset, and yes in some cases that will fix the issue but that's normally when it's to do with the light on the magsafe connector not changing colour correctly.

Kyte, the other thing you can do is take it in and ask if you can plug one of the display MBPs chargers in to rule out a faulty charger.

kyte
26th August 2012, 10:12 AM

OK, I've done that, so will plug in somewhere in a while and see if it has helped at all..

kyte
26th August 2012, 10:14 AM
He's talking about an SMC reset, and yes in some cases that will fix the issue but that's normally when it's to do with the light on the magsafe connector not changing colour correctly.

Kyte, the other thing you can do is take it in and ask if you can plug one of the display MBPs chargers in to rule out a faulty charger.

I'm not hopeful that its just the light. If that was the case, charging would still have been going on, but it wasnt. I'll take your advice and ask about that, re chargers, reducing possible options is good. Whatever the case I'll ring tomorrow and make an appt for a genius, I hate not having a second Apple machine to fall back on... I've always had two in the past. Doing a bunch of DVD ripping at the mo and its a pain to have to switch OSes as well.

bobsuncle2
26th August 2012, 10:20 AM

My MBP was also not charging when it happened.

kyte
26th August 2012, 10:35 AM
My MBP was also not charging when it happened. Well, your solution seems to have worked for the moment. I'm happy, Thank you!. I'm also going to not work it so hard. Its the netbook's turn. Interestingly, installing bootcamp into a non windows computer has made all my mac formatted external drives, and the aebs and the drives on that, suddenly available. good trick, gleaned from some random search.

kyte
14th September 2012, 06:43 AM
And followup from this... this solution did not work this morning. I had unplugged and turned off last night, but left the magsafe plugged in which may have been a mistake, because this morning it doesn't work at all, and it looks like its a trip to the Apple store for a new one (assuming they have them in stock).

Guess I better get moving. Sighhh. I'll take it with me for them to test on another machine... in the meantime, I've installed Haiku on the netbook and its not seeing my wifi network, so its down to the ipad. For now. Switching off :(

Alec Fraser
14th September 2012, 06:15 PM
Good luck mate! Hope it gets sorted quickly.

kyte
16th September 2012, 06:40 AM
Oh would you believe, even though everything had been off all night, simply unplugging in preparation for going to the Apple Store and then "oh one more try before I leave" an hour later... and it started working again.

Its dodgy though, clearly theres an intermittent issue which at some point is going to meant permanent death for the charger. Its in the reviews for all the L shaped chargers... they all have issues. I'll have to get another at some time. $89 a throw is very steep though.

nibbles
16th September 2012, 08:47 AM
I know your pain, I just went through the same situation but as I don't live close enough to an Apple Store I had to use a reseller. They were great to deal with, they had the charger for 3 days and could see absolutely no issue, as soon as I took it home it was dead, they told me to call AppleCare and get a number to say it'd be replaced no questions asked.

Whilst on the phone to AppleCare it started working and then stopped 3 times. Needless to say i've got another now.

I'm fearful that in 6 - 12 months i'll need to buy another one out of warranty, we've got 3 laptops with the L-shaped charger and this was the third one to get a replacement charger.

Byrd
16th September 2012, 12:16 PM
Consider the older-style Magsafe chargers were just as bad - repeated pulling/attaching the connector leads to eventual failure :(

jsarchibald
16th September 2012, 02:30 PM
It will get worse. I've gone through 2 of these now, they start playing up and a few weeks later they won't work at all. Cleaning the contacts makes no difference, there is an issue with these adapters.

What you describe is exactly what has happened to me. My wife and I both have 15" MBPs, and we have a communal charger that we use daily. This has been replaced twice now, and it will most likely happen again.

nibbles
16th September 2012, 03:00 PM
repeated pulling/attaching the connector leads to eventual failure :(

Yeah, I've decided my laptop now charges on the ground so that even the weight of the excess cable hanging can't damage itself. I'm also incredibly careful making sure I pull using the connector as opposed to the lead or the rubber part before the connector.