PDA

View Full Version : Vintage ( well not so vintage) conquest!!!!!

Oldmacs
25th August 2012, 10:53 PM
Today I scored a free iMac g5 17 inch. It is the last revision of the g5 with the iSight camera. It was given t me because it didn't work. I spent ages and finally the hardrive mounted and it turned out to be the problem so I erased it and reinstalled leopard and it worked fine. The only other problem is with the display, it has a whole he's of vertical lines running down it which do not show up on an external monitor- so I'm guessing it is the LCD panel it self.

I will be posting the vintage macintosh of the week tommorow. Sorry for the really long wait, I've been very busy with school :(

macman142
25th August 2012, 11:19 PM
Hey Oldmacs, nice pickup. I'm really fond of the iSight G5 iMacs. Well done. Being the last and best model before the Intel iMacs.

The vertical lines on the iSight iMacs is supposed to be a reasonably common failure for that model... Just waiting for the day mine does it... I suspect it's either the LCD panel itself or the GPU/logic board which would be sad.

P.S. no worries with the delayed vintage Mac of the week. If the other members here are like me, we're all just happy to see a new post in the vintage area and a bit of nostalgia, whenever it happens. Thanks for taking the time, wonder what model will be next!!

Byrd
26th August 2012, 09:17 AM
Shame about the LCD! The usual failure on these is faulty capacitors on either the motherboard or power supply. My wife uses an iMac 2.1Ghz 20" model, with 1.5GB RAM/1TB HD, and to be honest it's a dog - on paper it should be such a good machine comparable to a very low-end Intel Mac, but the performance is terrible.

macman142
29th August 2012, 06:38 PM
accidental hijack... :innocent:

iMic
29th August 2012, 07:21 PM
The vertical lines on the iSight iMacs is supposed to be a reasonably common failure for that model... Just waiting for the day mine does it... I suspect it's either the LCD panel itself or the GPU/logic board which would be sad.

I have seen some of these iSight G5s with GPU problems, but no more than a typical failure rate for any computer. The LG Philips displays on these and the white Intel iMacs on the other hand are absolutely awful, they will almost certainly develop vertical lines, so much so that a product called the UniMac Adapter Kit (http://www.realmacmods.com) was actually developed to allow the use of an alternative LCD inside the iMac enclosure, but I think it's mainly for Intel models.

Oldmacs
29th August 2012, 07:45 PM
So do we think it is the GPU or the LCD screen. I was thinking that it was the display because it works fine connected to an external screen. I really like this iMac!!!

macman142
29th August 2012, 08:37 PM
Negative I know but I'm really tempted to say it's the GPU not the LCD panel itself...

Really sucks because personally I love the iSight G5 iMacs.

iMic
6th September 2012, 07:01 PM
So do we think it is the GPU or the LCD screen. I was thinking that it was the display because it works fine connected to an external screen. I really like this iMac!!!

Probably the LG-Philips LCD Panel. This is a common fault, the panels are absolute garbage. I've had to replace three of mine out-of-warranty for this issue. To confirm, try taking a screenshot (Command + Shift + 3) and emailing it or copying it to another, working computer. If the lines don't appear in the screenshot, and if the issue does not occur on an external display, I can pretty much guarantee that it's the LCD panel.

Oldmacs
6th September 2012, 10:18 PM
Thanks iMac 600!
I've tried the screen shot and it is line less, and the iMac will drive an external display fine. The only other thing that this iMac does is occasionally kernel panic on startup, but this has happened once or twice only in the past two weeks and I have used it a LOT!

Byrd
6th September 2012, 10:37 PM
iMac G5s run pretty hot, and chances are the heatsink/vents are clogged with dust, and the thermal paste has dried up - consider taking it apart to clean it and reapply thermal paste(s)

Oldmacs
6th September 2012, 10:40 PM
I should do that!
Already taken it apart twice now!
Once to remove harddrive and once to fix isight camera.
Next time I will do that.

Orestes
7th September 2012, 06:44 AM
I can't really see this kind of artifact effecting only one output on a video card. If it were doing this because of the video card it would more as likely effect both outputs causing lines on both. I would say that its more than likely the screen which has failed. Keep an eye on eBay for a replacement or parts machine, it shouldn't cost much at all...