PDA

View Full Version : Old iBooks - What to do?

BluMoon
10th August 2012, 01:15 PM
Hi there,

My wife and I have a couple of old iBooks (one G3 12" and one G4 14"). The G4 has got a buggered logic board, but otherwise works fine; the G3 works fine (is just slow).

What would you recommend we do with these old computers - or are they of any value to anyone for parts? I'm reticent about just throwing them out, as they have data on them (which I don't know how to wipe from the one with the broken logic board). Any suggestions would be ace!

decryption
10th August 2012, 02:02 PM
To wipe the data off the iBook with a busted logic board, open it up and take the hard drive out. You can then plug that hard drive into an external case, plug it in to a working computer and erase it there :)

In regards to what to do with them - probably just give them away for free here on MacTalk or Gumtree. Someone might want them. If that fails, the one with the busted logic board should probably be taken to your local e-waste facility for recycling and the working one kept for posterity as the G3 iBook is a nice laptop, hah.

sparker
10th August 2012, 02:02 PM
Hello,

Does the G4 boot at all? What are the symptoms?

Steve

BluMoon
10th August 2012, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the quick responses folks!

Unfortunately the G4 doesn't boot at all - although when I upgraded to a Macbook Pro I was able to import my old profile from the G4 - so it must still boot somehow.

Cool I'll look into getting an external enclosure for the HDD and perhaps try it that way, and then as you say I'll look to see if anyone on these boards is interested...

Thanks again!

sparker
10th August 2012, 02:34 PM
Well, if your going to junk the G4 I wouldn't mind having a go at resuscitation. I don't have much experience with Apple stuff but I'm also trying to revive another dead one for a friend. Between the two I might get one going lol.

midnight_e
10th August 2012, 03:33 PM
Would like the G3 if you are planning to give it to a good home, happy to pay packing/postage of course.

I have a 600MHz, and an 800MHz, both still operational.
Be good to have another.

Do you know what specs it has ???

sparker
10th August 2012, 03:57 PM
Well, if your going to junk the G4 I wouldn't mind having a go at resuscitation. I don't have much experience with Apple stuff but I'm also trying to revive another dead one for a friend. Between the two I might get one going lol.

Yes, also happy to pay post & Pack and something for your trouble for the G4. PM me if you want.