PDA

View Full Version : Macbook Pro strange blue tint.

catstrat
8th August 2012, 10:45 AM
Hi all,

I have a 2011 (early) Macbook Pro.

When I open Photoshop and some other applications I get a hazy, washed out blue tinge on my screen.

This has only started happening recently. I have recently upgraded to Mountain Lion and replaced the HDD with a solid state drive.

Any ideas about what might be causing this would be greatly appreciated.

*** UPDATE: I downloaded and installed gfxCardStatus (http://codykrieger.com/gfxCardStatus) and I have identified that this issue only occurs when my system switches from integrated graphics to using the Nvidia display chip.

Regards

Catstrat

kingnick42
8th August 2012, 12:30 PM
Well, its pretty obviously a problem with you graphics card. Have you tried updating the latest drivers/rolling back to the last stable version? If that doesn't work....don't look to good.

catstrat
9th August 2012, 09:36 AM
Yeah its definitely a problem with the Nvidia. Apple have suggested I take it to the store and theyll do some hardware testing to see if its a hardware issue.

kingnick42
9th August 2012, 12:53 PM
Yeah its definitely a problem with the Nvidia. Apple have suggested I take it to the store and theyll do some hardware testing to see if its a hardware issue.

Well, if the drivers aren't at fault, a dodgy graphics card is the most probable cause.

hsghkg
10th October 2012, 05:34 PM

Hi Catstrat,

I have the same issue. Did Apple give you any solution? I'm running OSX 10.8.2

Thanks.

DebB
17th November 2012, 08:41 PM
This has started happening to me too... any clues? Just started in the last week or so.

bennyling
17th November 2012, 08:46 PM
Curious. Is it across the entire display, or just any app? Does the issue still occur when you've got an external display plugged in?

DebB
17th November 2012, 09:06 PM
The blue tint occurs when switching to the NVidia card. Certain applications trigger the switch. For example, changes to blue when opening iPhoto. Goes back to normal when I quit. I did some googling and found a solution - it has worked for me just now. Go to System Preferences --> Energy Saver --> Uncheck the "Automatic graphics switching" box. Restart the computer.

All should be fixed. When I went back into the energy saver preferences, the box was checked again, but the graphics card seems OK. Will test it out more rigorously tomorrow. I am wondering what caused it though....

bennyling
17th November 2012, 09:13 PM
You can use gfxCardStatus to force a certain graphics card to be used, no need to play with the energy saver pref.

What machine is this? 13 or 15? Because I've got a 15" early 2011 MBP as well, and my discrete graphics card is definitely an AMD.

DebB
19th November 2012, 07:00 PM
Fix is still working fine. Weird.

DebB
22nd November 2012, 03:58 PM
At work yesterday I plugged in my Smartboard (interactive whiteboard display) and the blue tint came back when I UN-plugged it at the end of the day. I repeated the above procedure and all is good again. I think the problem must be with the display mirroring somewhere. Does anyone else use a second display?