PDA

View Full Version : Pre-ordered iMac

Lucas
26th August 2004, 04:13 PM
Just rang an Apple Centre in Brisbane (looking for a green ipod mini) and I asked about the iMac, hoping they had heard something. The sales rep just spouted the same thing thats been said here (al case and single processor G5) but she also said that a customer has already pre-ordered one. I joked to myself ages ago that only Apple could have pre-orders on non existant hardware, but it looks like its true.

PS: It's impossible to find a green ipod mini, I am going into the store tonight to see the pink and hopefully fall in love with that. If you have a pink ipod mini its it a cool colour or should I wait for the green. Its not my ipod mini I am giving it away as a prize at the internet cafes.

estoyloco
26th August 2004, 04:48 PM
There was a guy at uni the otherday with a green mini, itlooked awesome.. i didnt know that they were soo small..

anyways he was probably an exchange student ashe was wearing one of those COLLEGEHOODIES that americans wearonTV with the Monash logo on it.. i doubt any locals who go to monash would buy one of those..

Also apparently people are subscribing to AOL in america and they get a free ipod mini on some promotion, and instead of using the minithey are taking out the microdrive and using it as memory card forthe digi SLR's...

Could you in theory put another, say 8GB or12GB microdrive in there? or does the card have some sort of BIOS? or whatever it is that runsthe mini?? or is that on the "board"

Sorry to get off topic..

EDIT : i just checked itout and you can.. you can use linux to copy the OS or whatever onto another one..

2GB microdrives are more than the EDU price of an mini, so im assuming the 4GB ones are pretty expensive.. so if you want a 2GB microdrive or greater, you can get an ipod mini free (with no hd)... im sure you could find an older 1GB one pretty cheap or CFII that fits the same plug... and have a cheap mp3player..

SORRY AGAIN.. off topic.. but interesting

Radar
26th August 2004, 05:47 PM
I have a pink iPod mini, and it's awesome! The colour really isn't that bad at all, althoguh you will cop a bit of shit for it. The women seem to love it aswell, which can never be a bad thing.

decryption
26th August 2004, 06:18 PM
Hang on a second, what's this about pre-ordering something that doesn't exist yet?!

Lucas
26th August 2004, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Aug 26 2004, 06:18 PM
Hang on a second, what's this about pre-ordering something that doesn't exist yet?!
Thats what I was thinking. But I guess they just had a person come in and say I want one as soon as they are available and roughly base the deposit on the old iMacs.

zen
26th August 2004, 11:55 PM
Originally posted by estoyloco@Aug 26 2004, 04:48 PM
Could you in theory put another, say 8GB or12GB microdrive in there? or does the card have some sort of BIOS? or whatever it is that runsthe mini?? or is that on the "board"

Sorry to get off topic..

EDIT : i just checked itout and you can.. you can use linux to copy the OS or whatever onto another one..

2GB microdrives are more than the EDU price of an mini, so im assuming the 4GB ones are pretty expensive.. so if you want a 2GB microdrive or greater, you can get an ipod mini free (with no hd)... im sure you could find an older 1GB one pretty cheap or CFII that fits the same plug... and have a cheap mp3player..

SORRY AGAIN.. off topic.. but interesting
Just want to confirm you that it is possible! Infact I've done it, on my 4GB Creative Muvo^2 :P

EVEN CHEAPER THAN AN IPOD MINI :D

although the newer versions of both Creative Muvo^2 and iPod Mini&#39;s have now realised what everyone&#39;s doing with it and they have soldered all the chips onto main board physically so it cannot be removed... <_< bastards I must say :P

if you guys are interested you can check out some pics (http://homepages.ihug.com.au/~evolutionxp/muvo/) of my &#39;MUVO Operation&#39; :rolleyes:

Phillip
27th August 2004, 12:08 AM
off topic; but zen, how is the creative muvo cheaper than an ipod mini???

OziMac
27th August 2004, 12:21 AM
On topic-

Whoever put the money down on an iMac at the reseller was a silly person with too much idle money and not enough going on upstairs to work out this simple supply-demand issue - if we&#39;ve learned anything from the Mini debacle, it&#39;s that the very first iMacs off the line will be going to the Apple Australia online store. And there is no such thing as a reseller &#39;preorder&#39; until after Apple Australia starts taking preorders itself online. So there&#39;s no point sending away money now for some speculated future event. Better to wait until its confirmed before throwing money away.

DVD Plaza
27th August 2004, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by decryption@Aug 26 2004, 06:18 PM
Hang on a second, what&#39;s this about pre-ordering something that doesn&#39;t exist yet?&#33;
I wouldn&#39;t mind pre-ordering a G5 PowerBook B)

Phillip
28th August 2004, 12:23 AM
i wanna pre order a version of mac os x for the pc :P