PDA

View Full Version : AFP Access on OSX

The_Hawk
8th August 2012, 08:57 AM
Why is AFP so clunky on OSX? From Snow Leopard to Lion to Mountain Lion I find that accessing my QNAP TS-859 Pro over wired (or wireless) network to be terribly slow. Authentication takes a while which I can deal with as a one off... but I find opening folder with lots of files takes forever... even just going folder up and down through the structure tends to cause it to force me to wait time and time again. Worse still I find copying files likes to think about it before it then races off at full speed.

What is very interesting is that my Windows Machine connected over the same network to the same device just opens folders like they are local with no lag. WTF? Why is it so terrible on Mac?

Is SMB a "faster" share option? Is this just the joys of AFP?

mmulhern
8th August 2012, 09:24 AM
I have problems with "slow" AFP shares on my FreeNAS server which I'm yet to resolve. Found this Apple Tech Note the other day, maybe it might more use to you.

Connecting to legacy AFP services (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4700)

tcn33
8th August 2012, 09:44 AM
I found AFP so useless that I went with NFS instead. No issues so far... knock on wood :)

The_Hawk
8th August 2012, 09:52 AM
Funny, I just closed that tab :P

From what I remember and understand that was about a fundamental issue that first cropped up with Lion where it simply could not connect at all because of the older (less secure??) authentication methods. Again from memory there was a fix rolled into one of the firmware updates (from QNAP in my case) that brought the authentication up to date.

mmulhern
8th August 2012, 01:24 PM
I found AFP so useless that I went with NFS instead. No issues so far... knock on wood :)

Planning to upgrade to FN8, so I'll look at dropping AFP shares to my ZFS pool as well.