PDA

View Full Version : Advice on HD transfer , Mac to Mac

Sy1
6th August 2012, 12:14 PM
Hi there
I have a powerbook from around 92? which I have just taken the HD out of after I could not log in(forgot password after 7 years or so).
It is full of photos and music so I want to transfer all the data to my newer Macbook Pro. I am sure the older HD is fine but I did fill it up past the 90%.

I am looking at using a IDE to USB transfer cable but some are powered and some are not? OR a HD enclosure with 2 USB connections.
Which one would be best for this?

I tried to get around the password on old mac by instructions off the net but the screen just went blue, so by pulling the HD out will I get around it this way?

Thanks

soulman
6th August 2012, 06:24 PM
If the PowerBook is still working and you have access to another Mac with SCSI, you could boot it into SCSI Disk Mode and get the data off it that way. That would be the easiest.

I don't know whether a cable, or case would be best for you. Probably depends a bit on whether you expect to use it again afterwards.

Also, on a PowerBook from 1992, are you sure it's IDE? I thought all Macs had SCSI internals back then. Desktops certainly did. If it's SCSI it will be harder.

Once you get it running in something you should be able to read it no worries. What password did you forget anyway? I don't remember Mac OS needing or even accepting a log in password until Multiple Users came into being, on a version of Mac OS that would not run on a 68k processor.

LCGuy
6th August 2012, 06:55 PM
What model is the machine? If its from 1992 it will definitely be a SCSI drive, in which case the easiest way to get your data off it would be via another PowerBook from the same era - your best bet would probably be to ask if there's someone on here who lives in your area and who has an old PowerBook they can use. If you can give us the model of the machine, that will help us a bit.

Oldmacs
6th August 2012, 07:05 PM
The best way I have found itiff use compact flash if the PowerBook has pcmia.
You get a pcmia compact flash reader, a compact flash card and a USB compact flash reader. Insert the pcmia card with the compact flash card in it, it will mount in the finder. Then drag stuff onto it, eject it and plug it into the newer mac and drag the data back off.

JaimeSharp
6th August 2012, 10:20 PM
You could look at adapters for scsi to USB/SATA etc though they are expensive ,

as it is a powerbook from this time 100% chance of SCSI drives in use though the size may vary you could also consider changing the drive though that is additional cost as well

as it is formatted in HFS pre journaled format it can be read on any mac or even a linux live CD ,

SCSI mode is a good idea for you or borrowing a machine or SCSI enclosure if you can from someone

Have you tried zapping the Pram which if it was a firmware password should reset it from memory

worst case you could maybe try an OS disk such as OS 8 or similar to enable it to reset the password.

Does the request come up at startup or after the welcome screen , have you tried turning extensions off as this can help sometimes.

though as you have removed the drive this may not be of any help though I would look for someone with an enclosure as it is easiest or another machine then configure this with a machine running 10.5 to enable the use of appletalk

I hope this helps a little bit or provides some information for you to consider

Sy1
7th August 2012, 11:22 AM
Laptop is a A1001 model
Pic of hard drive.
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/2158/imag0240k.jpg

Sy1
7th August 2012, 11:38 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. Just checked top label on the drive and it is a ATA/IDE.
Maybe its different because it was a special order at the time because it had a whopping 60 GB. (40 was the norm) and top of the line in apple laptops was a 15 inch.
Dont really know what happened with the password thing but I did freeze the machine because I filled the Hard drive past the 90% mark. I didnt know anything about that at that stage.
I think I am going to try the HDD enclosure and see how that goes? If not , will put back in old machine and restore with discs?

Biallystock
7th August 2012, 11:46 AM
If you can find an ATA enclosure, I'd love to know where you got it from.

I have a Mac G4 AGP Dual and want to access some old internal drives.

It is difficult to do much with older hardware. The drives are only interesting for what is on them, they are small and expensive to keep running.

SOSUMI
7th August 2012, 12:06 PM
You can still get

IDE/ATA 2.5" cases to USB or FWire 400

On the web for less than $20

Shintaro 2.5" IDE HDD to USB - BLACK