PDA

View Full Version : Cool PowerBook features

jbillett
20th December 2005, 07:43 PM
was just thinking... of all the things I love about my PowerBook I would have to say the backlit keyboard is just about the nicest :)

simple idea, but I'd never experienced it before buying the Apple, now I don't think I could live without it!

What about everyone else? What is the coolest PowerBook feature?

ethania05
20th December 2005, 07:47 PM
Airport and bluetooth, common in laptops today but cant live without those 2 features. Just makes things so much easier.

macmate
20th December 2005, 08:09 PM
two finger scrolling. i go crazy without a mouse and no two finger scrolling

designers_hub
20th December 2005, 08:21 PM
-its metal
-its thin
-it doesn't look like something which was made from crap parts from the IBM factory
-its widescreen
-has a amazing screen
-USB 2.0, Firewire 400, Firewire 800, Duel Mini VGA (Support composite, s-video and analogue via adapter), CD card slot, fibre optis output, bluetooth, wireless... theres more features in this thing than US Space Mission Command. Plus there all useful features that we end up using sooner or later.
-sexy

Why i hate PC laptops:
-Fat
-Plastic (the bad kind too, they could have at least used the stuff ibooks are made of)
-tacty
-all over the place
-but ugly, all of them no exception
-runs windows
-bluky
-some have a shiny screen, why the hell would you have a shiny screen?
-comes in 1 colour, black.
-you see the screws and everything, the inside of a powerbook looks less complicated
-got stupid bits and pieaces sticking out from everything, makes you go "what the hell is this thin doing here"

spargo
20th December 2005, 08:31 PM
Gotta be the backlit keyboard.

I sat near a guy on a long overnight plane flight two nights ago, who was using one of those USB-powered desk lights and the overhead light to do his work. I wondered why he kept staring at my keyboard as I sat there in the dark still working away :D

Scratch yet another Apple jealousy scenario.

marc
20th December 2005, 08:36 PM
I hate everyone with a backlit keyboard... ALL OF YOU.
(I have a 12" PB)

For me, the best feature is it runs OS X.

sunrisesister
20th December 2005, 08:50 PM
I love the fact that you can just *mention* the name 'Apple PowerBook' and you get responses like 'ooooooh' and 'aaaaah'

For me, its gotta be the inbuilt wireless, bluetooth, great screen.. and Evie is FABULOUSLY thin and sexy.

Char

Aa
20th December 2005, 09:07 PM
hmmm...
Screen Spanning with a moveable menubar never ceases to amaze people when they come to my studio, including me.
Instant sleep and waking,
Drop dead gorgeous aesthetics,
iScroll two finger scrolling(like the powerbook inbuilt but with a 'two finger click = right click',
not impressed by the backlit keyboard but mines a 1.25 04 model, maybe they got better...

Rayd
21st December 2005, 12:45 AM
mmmm got to love the backlight keyboard, and the auto screen brightness ajusting.. so smart :D and the 2 finger scrolling, then theres the thinness, and the sexyness. mmm but there is a price tag :\

The Architect.mac
21st December 2005, 07:39 AM
30" DVI Display support (i only use 23 of those 30 HD inches) and Firewire 800 grows on me more and more everytime I fling a backup or movie project to one of my daisychained LaCie's :ph34r:

edit - oh and optical in and out is pretty cool as well, and the backlit keyboard and everything everyone else said!!!

Al Aero
21st December 2005, 07:57 AM
gotta be the pulsating sleep light..

al ;)

Jaffa
21st December 2005, 08:08 AM
i want a backlit keyboard :( :cry: i only have a 12 inch. i got it for portability, but now i wish i got the 15 inch :(

Devski
21st December 2005, 08:15 AM
It comes in a 17" that doesn't require wheels or a back brace.

Currawong
21st December 2005, 08:23 AM
The VERY best bit is telling people you own a Powerbook. They come up with the usual questions about software, compatability etc, to which you pull the machine out and show them!

the_OM
21st December 2005, 08:24 AM
The best feature of powerbooks is definately how you can connect it to the internet, and within seconds pictures of naked women can appear in your web browser. And videos too of people mating too!

Is that the same for non-powerbook users too?

eroda
21st December 2005, 08:37 AM
Originally posted by designers_hub@Dec 20 2005, 08:21 PM

-but ugly, all of them no exception

i see in this little sentence here you failed to look at laptops like this

http://breakingnewsblog.com/laptop/wp-cont...ook-s250-tm.jpg (http://breakingnewsblog.com/laptop/wp-content/msi-megabook-s250-tm.jpg)
http://breakingnewsblog.com/laptop/wp-cont...a-book-s260.jpg (http://breakingnewsblog.com/laptop/wp-content/msi-mega-book-s260.jpg)
http://www.msi-computer.fr/img/NEWS/computex/S260-4a.jpg

which looks alot i mean ALOT like an Ibook

mechcon
21st December 2005, 08:38 AM
it aint got windows on it neither ;) sudden motion sensing

Squozen
21st December 2005, 08:54 AM
Originally posted by eroda@Dec 21 2005, 08:37 AM
i see in this little sentence here you failed to look at laptops like this

*snip*

which looks alot i mean ALOT like an Ibook
Well, it's white, but I don't think the underside of an iBook looks much like... this (might wanna cover your eyes):

http://starynkevitch.net/Basile/msi_s270_back_big3.jpeg

gizo
21st December 2005, 09:09 AM
aaaarrrggghhh!!!!

mechcon
21st December 2005, 10:28 AM
hello lawsuit :P

macmate
21st December 2005, 10:29 AM
it looks like an ibook in terms of its colour. but thats where it stops. the hinge mech is totally different and the ibook doesn't have an blue plugs on the side or and other messy 'features' The ibook is kept clear of almost all of that.

Ric

Rayd
21st December 2005, 10:41 AM
Originally posted by macmate@Dec 21 2005, 11:29 AM
it looks like an ibook in terms of its colour. but thats where it stops. the hinge mech is totally different and the ibook doesn't have an blue plugs on the side or and other messy 'features' The ibook is kept clear of almost all of that.

Ric
not the mention all the air vents n holes and the giant exposed ugly fan at the bottom. :|

eroda
21st December 2005, 11:14 AM
how often do you see the underside of a laptop

gizo
21st December 2005, 11:17 AM
more often than you see the inside of it, and yet it's still nice to know that things look pretty on the inside as well.

show's a sense of pride in one's work...

stevejay
22nd December 2005, 08:06 AM
Originally posted by the_OM@Dec 21 2005, 08:24 AM
The best feature of powerbooks is definately how you can connect it to the internet, and within seconds pictures of naked women can appear in your web browser. And videos too of people mating too!

You're terrible, Muriel. ;)

DJY
22nd December 2005, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Dec 21 2005, 09:23 AM
The VERY best bit is telling people you own a Powerbook.
LOL.. almost!
The best thing about having a Powerbook is watching everyone's reaction when you are using it!
I still get people oogling and wanting to touch it and play with it!

So for me
The overall look - silver, widescreen, very slim, and stunning... the wow factor is HUGE!
Backlit keyboard
Mac OS X (most definitely)
integration of software and hardware
Having lots of connection options

eni
22nd December 2005, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by the_OM@Dec 21 2005, 08:24 AM

Sure it is, but even more immersive! Just like the people in the videos you can catch viruses too. ;)

I've heard those damn iBook users are immune as well but... I don't associate with the likes of them. :P

Buthidae
22nd December 2005, 08:10 PM
Ewwww, that iBook clone is wrong, all wrong.

The VGA port looks like an abortion. In the pic it looks like it sticks out past the side of the laptop! Then you've got.... What are those? Two RJ-11's and an RJ-45? AND you can see the bottom of the circuit boards on the two of them.
Then there's a pink and a brown headphone jack, headphone and mic most likely. Great colour choice there, why not go for grey and yellow and rev2? Further add-on equipment is guaranteed, with a mini-USB port that I will wager supplies amusingly dismal amounts of power to the bus, meaning it may be hard to get away without using a powered hub.
If they'd sprung for a slot-loader cd drive I would probably have passed the left hand side, but unfortunately not.

Oh, and it runs Windows. Eww.

edit: Whoops, got a bit carried away there :)

My favourite feature is the backlit keyboard, by a mile!