PDA

View Full Version : If your Mac is 5 years old throw it away

hierophant
3rd August 2012, 08:55 PM
Hello - this is my first post so please excuse my naivete.
I have an 24" iMac purchased late 2006 and guess what ? - it works perfectly !!
I upgraded to Snow Leopard and when I went to upgrade to Mountain Lion, guess what ?? - my Mac is deemed to be too old. So now, this is as far as any upgrade can go on my computer. If ever I want to upgrade and heaven forbid, my mac still works in 5 years time, then I have to trash it and buy a new one. Ca-chink Apple. Are people aware of this. I think it's outrageous. I'd appreciate peoples' thoughts.

leon
3rd August 2012, 09:10 PM
You could have put 10.7 on it.

Is your iMac not able to do anything that you want? Just because 10.8 came out doesn't mean your machine no longer works.
Don't worry about it. 10.6 is still a pretty good OS.

Trash is a bit harsh. Just sell it and upgrade if you want 10.8

LCGuy
3rd August 2012, 09:25 PM
I have a Late 2007 MacBook. A year newer than your iMac, but just like it, it's also been dropped by Mountain Lion.

While I'm very disappointed that it won't run ML (even moreso because the only reason it won't run it, really, is because Apple can't be stuffed to write a 64 bit version of the GMA x3100 drivers - I actually have ML running on the machine, and it works great, but with no graphics support, therefore no Quartz Extreme/Core Image), Lion is still a very good OS, and will still be supported both by Apple, and developers for a while yet, just as Snow Leopard was (and is). I'm still quite happy with my MacBook, and plan to keep it another 12 months or so before I replace it.

As leon said - if its still doing everything you want, and is still reliable, there's really no reason to replace it...regardless of what Apple, or anyone else may say...its not obsolete if its still doing what you ask of it.

hierophant
3rd August 2012, 10:49 PM
You could have put 10.7 on it.

Is your iMac not able to do anything that you want? Just because 10.8 came out doesn't mean your machine no longer works.
Don't worry about it. 10.6 is still a pretty good OS.

Trash is a bit harsh. Just sell it and upgrade if you want 10.8

Well Leon - it does it does do what I want, and you're right and I won't worry about it until there comes a point where I have to. Thanks for responding.

Thanks LC - you're right - it does what I want, so like me, it's not obsolete - thank-you for replying

Biallystock
4th August 2012, 01:20 AM
I have a 13 year old iMac and it still gives me a thrill when I turn it on. Barely misses a beat.

No it doesn't run Mountain Lion, not even OSX, though it could, but it reminds me of just how many babies have been thrown out with the bathwater in those 13 years.

MarkW
4th August 2012, 08:51 AM
Your naivety to the ways of the computing world is quite surprising, how do you think the manufacturers have been forcing business, government or private consumers to upgrade their old machines for so long? Business and especially government won't upgrade unless they absolutely have to, which means new machines cause the old ones won't take the current system.
The fact that your iMac won't accept a more advanced operating system isn't exclusive to Apple products which you seem to imply. Its a fact of life for virtually every computer ever made or yet to be made.

Oldmacs
4th August 2012, 09:01 AM
I have a early 2008 MacBook and feel a similar way, however it is not the first time. The last Power Pc macs were sold in 2006 and were unsupported by the time Snow Leopard came out in 2009.

While I am very disapointed, Lion will be supported for a few years, and Mountain Lion isn't a really major release any way. Just use the iMac until it can not do what you need it to do, ect specific software.

FineWine
4th August 2012, 12:30 PM
My Nov 2007 iMac 7.1 just creeps in to the Mountain Lion bracket. I used a small tool from Micromat - MachineProfile (https://www.micromat.com/downloads/machineprofile) to verify this.

However my brother in-law misses out (iMac 5.1). He was late to the party and only recently upgraded Leopard > Snow Leopard and now has missed out on Lion.

How can he get Lion now that it is removed from the App store. I do have Lion on a private USB stick, would that be legal or is it some how linked to my Apple ID or would he actually be better off sticking with Snow Leopard?

Cheers

decryption
4th August 2012, 05:15 PM
My Nov 2007 iMac 7.1 just creeps in to the Mountain Lion bracket. I used a small tool from Micromat - MachineProfile (https://www.micromat.com/downloads/machineprofile) to verify this.

However my brother in-law misses out (iMac 5.1). He was late to the party and only recently upgraded Leopard > Snow Leopard and now has missed out on Lion.

How can he get Lion now that it is removed from the App store. I do have Lion on a private USB stick, would that be legal or is it some how linked to my Apple ID or would he actually be better off sticking with Snow Leopard?

Cheers

Stick with Snow Leopard unless there's some app of service he can't use due to being on 10.6 - when (if) the day comes, just give him your copy of the Lion DMG. It's not legal, but hey, neither is downloading TV shows off the Internet, nor is crossing the street when the little man is red. The DMG is not linked to your Apple ID.

Orestes
4th August 2012, 05:50 PM
I'm sticking with 10.6 anyway because I don't like the direction the Mac OS has gone since Lion came out.... I have Lion installed on my early 2011 13" MacBook Pro, I just do not use it by choice.

Snow Leopard still works perfectly fine for every task, if you really want a new OS then install a Linux variant. I'm considering doing that on my G5, but that's mostly because Open Source developers are the only ones who really seem to care about PPC processors now.

Biallystock
4th August 2012, 06:18 PM

Cheers

Apple doesn't really check, they rely on your honesty.

soulman
4th August 2012, 08:59 PM
I have an 24" iMac purchased late 2006 and guess what ? - it works perfectly !!So, your nearly six year old hardware is working perfectly and, until 2 weeks ago, was able to be upgraded to the latest OS. I don't understand why you would think it should be thrown away. Seems like you've got some pretty good value out of your computer purchase so far and you're still going. Last time I saw a 6 year old Windows box it was in a skip. The one before that was in an old person's house.

So now, this is as far as any upgrade can go on my computer. If ever I want to upgrade and heaven forbid, my mac still works in 5 years time, then I have to trash it and buy a new one. Ca-chink Apple.Lion is as far as system software upgrades go and, as others have pointed out, your machine doesn't stop working because you can't upgrade to ML or anything after that. App updates will include 10.6.8 for some years yet and 10.7.x for some more. You don't have to trash anything or buy anything.

And, really, you can hardly blame Apple, a hardware company, for wanting to sell you a new machine after 6 years. It's not like they're holding you to ransom or anything. My Mac Classic running System 6 still works great and your iMac might still be going in another 10 years too.

Your glass is well over half full by my reckoning.

Marcsteel
9th August 2012, 11:11 AM
as a previous poster has stated, EVERY PC has a shelf life, and why should Apple products be exempted from this? I have a 2007 MacBook 2,1 and run Lion on it, it's had a RAM upgrade, I recently put a 256GB SSD in it, and it works fine. Do I need ML on it really? My work (the Comm Gov) still insist I use Windows XP and a new i7 machine. Many of my friends who are Windows dependant replace their machines every 2-3 years, and considering they pay around the $800-$900 per PC I don't see the value in it. I still believe that Apple products have a much longer shelf life compared to comparitive products.

badboy24x7
9th May 2013, 05:27 AM
I also got caught up in this split hairs supported devices from Apple Mountain Lion. I thought that I had my bases covered by purchasing an older mac mini core duo but when I went to upgrade to ML it's not supported. Only core 2 duo is supported. So you ask why upgrade it does everything that it did before right? No it doesn't. I want to program apps and you can only use a mac and xcode to program apps. I'm about to purchase an older iMac 5.1 and wait suddenly apple is dropping support for this device as well. What a headache. Just buy the newest mac mini for $599 every 5 years and throw your old mac in the garbage. My old XP laptop still works 13 years later.

nibbles
9th May 2013, 07:49 AM
How is that any different to programming for windows 7 on XP, either way, if you want to target the latest OS you need to test it on the latest OS. If not, use the older version of Xcode and target the older OS. And developing on a 13 year old laptop isn't going to give you accurate performance testing.

Byrd
9th May 2013, 09:36 AM
It's your problem for not doing enough research, sorry to say - the original Mac Mini Core Duo was released in 2006, so you're asking a lot from a seven year old machine, and it was slow when released compared to other Intel computers.

Your 13 year old laptop would struggle with Windows 7 or 8, and wouldn't have driver support either.

Geoff3DMN
9th May 2013, 10:21 AM
Your 13 year old laptop would struggle with Windows 7 or 8, and wouldn't have driver support either.

Actually Windows 7 has slightly lighter hardware requirements than Vista (in the real world) and any laptop that ran Vista OK will almost certainly run Windows 7 ok (Windows 8 is another matter... nothing runs Windows 8 OK because it's better not running than running) :innocent:

Byrd
9th May 2013, 10:55 AM
Yeah, it'd run OK, but on these old machines finding a compatible driver for the GPU/wireless etc. is a stretch. That's what gets me down when fixing up an older Wintel laptop for a friend, trying to make it more modern - the hours spent trawling crappy forums for suitable drivers as the manufacturer decided they wouldn't support the machine for later operating systems, even though the hardware itself may be up to spec.

Having said all this, for "unsupported" Macs running OS X 10.8, there are several workarounds ... thanks to the Hackintosh community :) You can tinker and get it going, much like what I've described with a Windows install above.

OS X vs. Win.x rant over :)

mmulhern
9th May 2013, 10:59 AM
OS X vs. Win.x rant over :)

Optimist ;)

The_Hawk
9th May 2013, 01:16 PM
13 year old laptop... Your talking a PIII CPU, probably 600MHz give or take and then with no RAM. Chances are it can be upgraded but even then probably only to 2GB *maaaaaybe*.

That sort of machine will run Win XP, Office (hell even 2010 has pretty low requirements) although it might struggle on today's interwebs.

Oldmacs
9th May 2013, 03:53 PM
Yes and my 1999 iMac G3 can run OSX 10.4.11 a newer os than XP and I can do work on it. My 1999 Power Mac G4 can run Leopard which is from 2007 and I can also still do work on both fine today......

GrahameR
12th May 2013, 06:07 PM
Hello
Kind of on a similar but different track :)

I have a MacBook 5.2 running 10.5.8 (whatever type of big cat that is). With my HDD being only 111GB I have pretty much filled it with iPhoto and iTunes. In fact I thought the poor performance could be due to this so took some music off to bring the spare space up to 35 GB.

What is the deal with upgrading HDD? In light of this discussion is it worth it? And another factor is that I run Firefox but that now says that it doesn't guarantee security on 'old' systems like mine.

So should I change browsers and/or HDDs (or solid state) and/or computers?

TIA
Grahame

Oldmacs
12th May 2013, 06:25 PM
I think your problem is that you are running Leopard :P (Which wasn't the most efficient Mac OS ever)

I would recommend going to solid state and getting either Snow Leopard or Mountain Lion. :) (And upgrading your RAM)

Your Macbook still runs the latest version of OSX. OSX 10.9 will be announced (Probably) at WDDC in July so It won't come out till much later in the year- Your Macbook may or may not run 10.9.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0a8-8rQslg

That is very similar to your Macbook - Before and after upgrading RAM and SDD.

GrahameR
12th May 2013, 06:45 PM
Hi, thanks for the prompt and informative reply.

I thought I looked at upgrading to a better big cat but was told my machine wasn't supported (or whatever).
Which is Snow Leopard (10.?) and which is Mountain Lion (10.?).

I know I can get the info elsewhere but how much are they (roughly)?

And how much is a solid state upgrade?

And how much is HDD upgrade?

And then how much is a new computer? :)

TIA
Grahame

soulman
12th May 2013, 07:02 PM
I have a MacBook 5.2 running 10.5.8 (whatever type of big cat that is). With my HDD being only 111GB I have pretty much filled it with iPhoto and iTunes. In fact I thought the poor performance could be due to this so took some music off to bring the spare space up to 35 GB.Lack of free space can really slow things down. You should have the larger of 20GB or 10% I think and this is especially important if you don't have lots of RAM. The maximum possible for your machine is 6GB according to MacTracker, which is not a whole lot by today's standards. I'm guessing you have less than this anyway?

What is the deal with upgrading HDD? In light of this discussion is it worth it? And another factor is that I run Firefox but that now says that it doesn't guarantee security on 'old' systems like mine.

So should I change browsers and/or HDDs (or solid state) and/or computers?Later versions of Firefox just require a later version of OS X, so that's easy - the current version needs a minimum of 10.6.8, also called Snow Leopard. That's as far as I go with older hardware, so I don't know how 10.7 and 10.8 would run. on your MacBook.

As for whether you should spend more money on that machine and, if so how much, that depends a lot on your needs and budget. You could get a pretty spiffy refurb (as one of your many options) for what seems like not much to me, but I don't know what your budget for such things might be. I upgrade old machines if I think they're still useable and have put OWC SSDs and maximum RAM into a few machines from 2009 that still work fine for what we need.

An SSD will make a huge difference to your performance and you could, amongst many other options, get a 240GB OWC for probably $250 landed here (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/SSD/Mercury_Electra_3G_Solid_State). I haven't looked, but they're probably not too hard to put in. OWC have install videos, which are good.

The thing is, that you'll still have an old machine that isn't worth a whole lot, so you need to decide whether that kind of expenditure is worthwhile or whether you're better off getting a later model second hand or refurb or whatever. A mate of mine just picked up a 13" MBA with a 128GB SSD in it for $600 and it's very snappy for the most part.

Oldmacs
12th May 2013, 07:16 PM
Hi, thanks for the prompt and informative reply.

I thought I looked at upgrading to a better big cat but was told my machine wasn't supported (or whatever).
Which is Snow Leopard (10.?) and which is Mountain Lion (10.?).

I know I can get the info elsewhere but how much are they (roughly)?

And how much is a solid state upgrade?

And how much is HDD upgrade?

And then how much is a new computer? :)

TIA
Grahame

Hmm, I'm sure that your Macbook is supported!
If it is a 5,2 it is supported :)

A SDD upgrade is OWC OWCSSDEX3G120 120GB Mercury Electra 3G SSD 2.5"... in stock at OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/SSDEX3G120/)

I'm *Pretty sure* that one would be compatible- But check with others.

A HDD upgrade Western Digital WD5000BPKT 500GB 2.5" 'Scorpio... in stock at OWC (http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Western%20Digital/WD5000BPKT/) for a much larger and faster HD. Be warned that a HDD will not be nearly as fast as a SDD.

Mountain Lion runs fine on older Macs, much better than Lion. My 2008 Macbook ran Lion and it was fine (Normal HD)
Snow Leopard is 10.6 and Mountain Lion is 10.8. Personally I can't stand Snow Leopard anymore as I find it clunky :P

A new Macbook Pro can be had for $1200..... But it will not have a SDD either :P

GrahameR
12th May 2013, 07:39 PM
Thanks.
I'd have to upgrade to Snow Leopard ($20) to get to download Mountain Lion ($20).

As for the SDD - sounds like a good idea but upgrading to 120 GB (for example) doesn't give me much advantage over the 111GB I currently have. (240GB is about $240.)

RAM upgrade to 8GB seems to be about $80.

So that would be 20+20+240+80=$360 (plus shipping I guess). That would seem reasonable for a major refurb.

??????????????

TIA.
G.

Oldmacs
12th May 2013, 07:43 PM
Oh of course :P Sorry! Forgot about that!

Based on the Video, it *Looks* like it would make your Mac a lot faster!

I guess in the end it is up to you....

Also I think your Mac will only go up to 6 GB of ram?

GrahameR
9th June 2013, 05:57 PM
Hi - as far as how much RAM I can put in ... I think the 'official' line is 6Gb RAM. But I was talking to a techo salesman who said it was possible to put more in than rated. Is that true? Because if so it would seem worthwhile given RAM is cheap.

TIA
Grahame

bennyling
9th June 2013, 06:31 PM
You can put it more, but it won't be doing anything :)

6GB is the limit on those machines.

GrahameR
9th June 2013, 06:37 PM
Thanks bennyling

Exactly the advice I was looking for. Thanks.

Grahame

LCGuy
9th June 2013, 08:04 PM
I seem to recall that your MacBook 5,2 runs the same Santa Rosa chipset as my MacBook 3,1. The most Apple supports on machines with that chipset is actually 4GB, however the chipset itself can address a maximum of 6GB. (I also have 6GB in mine) So yeah - you're already at the unsupported max. :)

Oldmacs
9th June 2013, 10:04 PM
I had 6 GB in my white Macbook 4,1 and it was good :)

GrahameR
11th June 2013, 05:35 PM
Hi again

Just checking on the RAM. Currently I have 2GB I believe which I think is configured 1+1???? So if the max is 6GB then I have to buy what? A 4GB and a 2GB presumably?

Are there any recommendations on brands of RAM?

TIA
Grahame

LCGuy
11th June 2013, 05:39 PM
Correct, a 4GB module and a 2GB module. Both must be DDR2-667. (DDR2-800 will NOT work)

As for manufacturer, I generally tend to buy OWC, Kingston, Kingmax, Corsair or Transcend.

GrahameR
11th June 2013, 05:50 PM
Thanks LCGuy

Will this work?

6.0GB(2.0GB + 4.0GB Kit) PC8500 DDR3 1066MHz SO-DIMM 204 Pin PC3-8500 Memory Upgrade Kit for Late 2008, Early 2009, Early 2010

GrahameR
11th June 2013, 07:50 PM
Hi, found this (below) elsewhere ... so I take it you can install modules with different speeds????

The speed memory runs at is set by your motherboard and processor configuration.

Memory is sold by the fastest rated speed that it is guaranteed to work at, NOT at the speed it will run at by default on your motherboard.

So in short, you always want to buy memory that is at least rated at what your particular build will run at by default.
So yes, you can put 800mhz memory in your machine, but unless you overclock it, it will run at 667mhz. You won't be able to tell any difference in speed even if you do overclock it and set to run at 800mhz.
But, there is no reason not to buy 800mhz memory if you have found a set at a good price, it will work fine.

bennyling
11th June 2013, 07:51 PM
What? LCGuy, that machine takes DDR3.

The one that you pointed out will work just fine Grahame.

LCGuy
11th June 2013, 08:26 PM
Are you sure? The unibody MacBook (MacBook 6,1) takes DDR3, however all pre-unibody (apart from the aluminum Late 2008 MacBook) MacBooks take DDR2.

However I did screw up the RAM speed - the MacBook 5,2 requires DDR2-800.

Further information on what RAM your machine takes is here: Computer memory upgrades for Apple MacBook (13-inch, Mid 2009) Laptop/Notebook from Crucial.com (http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=MacBook%20%2813-inch%2C%20Mid%202009%29&Cat=RAM)