PDA

View Full Version : Time Machine Issue

Mongrel
2nd August 2012, 02:03 PM
Hi guys

So I changed the HDD in my hard disk, ran the migration assistant to restore from Time Machine, and all went well, but now the machine will not see me existing TM backups, and wants to start a new one!!

Is there anyway I can get TM to just pick up where it left off? Very annoying as I have a lot of history I would like to hang on to?

Cheers
John

mick132
2nd August 2012, 05:44 PM
This is a constant problem with Time Machine. I would like to know a solution as well.

Mongrel
2nd August 2012, 05:55 PM
Very annoying!! I restored from what is obviously a good backup, because everything is how I had it, so why can't I use it and carry on?? What happens to all that history?

If there is no way to resolve this, then TM is a complete waste of time.

purana
2nd August 2012, 08:20 PM
Bit confused.. do you mean you don't expect the next backup to a be a full? Cause that's not correct, it HAS to be a full. No way around it.

I restored from a Time Machine backup from 2 days ago, and subsequently my next backup is a full. i.e. all the data on the machine, as you cannot expect it to do anything else but a full. Since I've just rolled the machine by 2 days ;)

Mongrel
2nd August 2012, 08:34 PM
No... What I mean is... I had the machine for 2 years before the HDD died. So I have 2 years of TM. In other words, there are files on that TM from 2 years ago, that may not be on my machine that I may need. (Financial records for example)

I now can no longer access those files even though I am running from the very backup that is on that TM.

purana
2nd August 2012, 08:38 PM
No... What I mean is... I had the machine for 2 years before the HDD died. So I have 2 years of TM. In other words, there are files on that TM from 2 years ago, that may not be on my machine that I may need. (Financial records for example)

I now can no longer access those files even though I am running from the very backup that is on that TM.

No idea on that one, if its the same physical machine it should of continued. Especially since you restored it from one of those images from that 2 year period.

When my wife recently got her new machine, I migrated her over and deleted the 20 month Time Machine content for her old machine. She got to start from scratch, as I needed to reconfig the TC and I found the last time I renamed the TC the backups wouldn't continue anyways.

Mongrel
2nd August 2012, 08:57 PM
Yeah TM on the MBP wants to create a entirely new TM backup!! when I go into TM it tells me there is no backups on the TM disk, but there is, I can see it!! Just can't use it. :(

I hope someone can help me with this.

purana
3rd August 2012, 01:23 AM
Post my backup, yep I go in and see no history prior to that full. It looks like when it does the full, it blows away the previous history and/or relationship.

kyte
3rd August 2012, 06:38 AM
Same thing happened to me when all I did was move my HD to the network. TM no longer recognised it as exactly the same drive, with the same name. It asked me if I wanted to replace it, with itself. There was no option, and its a royal pain in the derriere.

Mongrel
3rd August 2012, 10:17 AM
Oh man - that sux big time! What is the point if having all that history when the idea of having a backup is for when disaster strikes - but then when it does, it's useless!! :(

tinhead88
3rd August 2012, 01:23 PM
TM gives you the convenience of a simple integrated backup solution BUT it is not designed as a repository for all the files you don't want to keep on your main HDD. If there are files you may need at some stage in the future then you should either be keeping them on your main drive or backing them up separately.

TM keeps a history of files even when they're deleted, but this is meant for "emergency use only", not an archiving solution.

So before you complain too much about TM keep in mind that there is a bit user error here too.

Having said all that, it is a shame TM can't identify the old backups and give you the option to continue with them. Perhaps there is a technical reason for this since a restore has been performed and this may be regarded as a fresh start.

You can access the files on your old TM backup by navigating through the folder contents. It's not as easy but if you really need some of those files they are still accessible to you.

Mongrel
3rd August 2012, 01:42 PM
I am sorry, but "User Error" I think not!

This direct from the Apple website. Please tell me where I was in error when using a TM just how it is advertised??

Time Machine automatically backs up your entire Mac, including system files, applications, accounts, preferences, music, photos, movies and documents. But what makes Time Machine different from other backup applications is that it not only keeps a spare copy of every file, it remembers how your system looked on any given day so you can revisit your Mac as it appeared in the past.

I would now like to revisit my MBP as it was in the past - but alas can not! How is this MY error??

kyte
3rd August 2012, 03:13 PM
Oh man - that sux big time! What is the point if having all that history when the idea of having a backup is for when disaster strikes - but then when it does, it's useless!! :(

Its not exactly useless (for me anyway at the moment) because not many changes were made, so the "new" TM has what I want it to have. But TM *ought* to recognise older TM backups regardless of where they are or when they are. This is part of its goodness. If it can't cope with a drive being moved, whats the use of it.

I also have a CCC bootable so not all is lost... but TM should be able to recognise itself under all circumstances, and it doesnt. Its that simple.

Mongrel
3rd August 2012, 03:28 PM
Absolutely!!

tinhead88
3rd August 2012, 03:31 PM
Having said all that, it is a shame TM can't identify the old backups and give you the option to continue with them. Perhaps there is a technical reason for this since a restore has been performed and this may be regarded as a fresh start.

So I'm not saying the blame rests with you alone. This is obviously a kink in TM that they should fix if possible. If you had used the system as advertised by Apple you would have had no problems retrieving your files. It's just that you deviated from the norm by doing a complete restore. TM should be able to cope with that, but it seems it considers this a fresh start the way the software is at the moment.

My point about user error was that if you had kept all the files that you wanted to refer to in the future on your main drive that TM was backing up then they would be there with your restore. But instead you relied on the TM backup as an archival backup which I would suggest is not appropriate. I admit, though, that Apple should clarify this or even better just fix TM so one can easily access previous TM backups. I guess their goal was to make backups as simple as possible and, unfortunately, in the process some functionality was lost.

Mongrel
3rd August 2012, 05:11 PM
Sorry but I still don't agree. Apple advertise this as being able to get to a file as it was at a given point in time.

So let's use an example of what you are saying. Let's say the file I want IS on my machine but I want to go back "in time" to a year ago as Apple suggests and see the contents of that file, I now can't. It has nothing to do with user error and I believe is a compete failing of TM. Otherwise apple should advertise it as a DR solution only and not advertise the ability to go back in time. After all. That is what it's called isn't it?? TIME MACHINE????

cejay
3rd August 2012, 06:07 PM
I won't argue with you, but as far as time machine is concerned, your system has fundamentally changed, therefore the backups can't be consistent. I would imagine that is why it deletes the history. I see your point and it would be much better if it held history regardless of whether the program feels the system has changed. The scenario where I think you are absolutely correct about how it could all end in tears is when you have a HDD failure and then some weeks later realise you need access to a file you deleted.

To be fair to Apple, that scenario isn't frequent this is when 3rd party image based solutions are ideal.

teej
3rd August 2012, 07:39 PM
So let's use an example of what you are saying. Let's say the file I want IS on my machine but I want to go back "in time" to a year ago as Apple suggests and see the contents of that file, I now can't.
Unless you've cleared the disk you can still navigate to Disk -> Backups.backupdb -> MachineName -> Date -> etc. If you need to keep the archive as is now might be the time to put a new drive or two into rotation ;)

purana
4th August 2012, 07:18 AM
What Apple advertise is CORRECT, however, soon as you do a full system restore from anything in that history. It all starts from that new point in time (as day zero).

Devil
4th August 2012, 10:42 AM
You can go back in time, but not forever...
When my backup drive gets full, Time Machine makes space by deleting stuff. I'm assuming the multiple copies of documents that it has kept.
Starting a new backup before this happens would at least give me a manual way to go back through time.