PDA

View Full Version : Mt Lion Pros Cons & Cost?

cosmichobo
31st July 2012, 07:44 PM
G'day,

Got a MacBook Pro 5,5 13" 2.26GHz Core2Duo currently running 10.6.8 with 2GB of RAM...

What are the amazing benefits I will see between 10.6.8 and Mountain Lion?

What potential negative aspects may I face?

How much will this upgrade cost? Is it only the $20.99, or is that dependent on having already upgraded to some higher version than what I'm on?

(Can't believe I'm asking that last question, somehow sounds very PC to me, but I'm sure there was such a limitation on one of the other OS upgrades of late...?)

cheers

cosmic

Steve_D
31st July 2012, 08:09 PM
Ok quick responses to your questions. :)

Your machine should be fine.

Benefits will vary for every user. but for my own usage i can say that my machine has never ran better.

Negatives are just the usual, no legacy (PowerPC applications) software. Some Apps may not run as expected until you apply their ML Patch.

Cost should just be the $20.99 because you have over 10.6.6 so can access the app store.

The only downside currently seems to be that the servers are still jammed so can take a while to download.

jsarchibald
31st July 2012, 08:17 PM
I went from 10.6 to 10.8 and it costs $20.99. I have activated this now on 3 of my machines for the cost of the original purchase, so it's good. Only issue is that I had to upgrade to Parallels 7, as 6 is no longer compatible.

Not really seeing much change, apart from some iOS features making their way in (eventually). I've heard it is pretty stable, and I've seen no issues personally. The 15" i5 I have has a rare fault where it will just freeze, but with ML, it comes up with a screen saying there is a fault and press any key to restart, so that is better. In the past, I'd have to do a hard restart to get it to do anything - but then again, you're probably not meant to use a faulty machine. Oh well, I got it for $300, and usually use desktops, so I can't complain about the odd freeze and restart now can I?

Byrd
31st July 2012, 08:37 PM
It's worth each and every twenty one dollars :) But I'd max out the RAM on your MBP, 2GB is hitting the wall a bit and it is very cheap to upgrade these days.

SomeRandomBloke
31st July 2012, 08:48 PM
I have a 20" mid-2007 iMac (Core2Duo) but with 4Gb of RAM. I think performance has improved under ML. Improvements to apps are pretty good. Overall I definitely think it's worth it.

Iain Best
31st July 2012, 09:13 PM
Spend a bit extra, upgrade that MBP to 8GB RAM - I'm running the same rig with Mountain Lion and it's great!

MacRowdy
1st August 2012, 07:49 AM
I have a similarly specced Mac mini (mid-2009, so I just scrape in on compatibility), but with 4GB RAM, and also running 10.6.8.

Most people seem to have upgraded from 10.7 to 10.8, so they are used to all the quirks of 10.7 (upside down scroll bars is one that springs to mind, no save-as is another).

Are there any other major gotchas going straight from 10.6 to 10.8? I.e. any that anyone going from 10.7 to 10.8 would have already become accustomed to, but which would catch out the unwary Snow Leopard stalwart?

soulman
1st August 2012, 11:24 PM
Not wanting to hijack, but I'm very interested in this question also. I look after about half a dozen machines and users and none of them are running anything later than 10.6.8 at the moment, though they could nearly all run 10.8.

One of the things that bothers me is how my staff are going to cope with the lack of a "Save As..." Some use it frequently for creating new documents in Pages out of existing ones that are very similar. I realise I could use templates to get around this but we have one letter, for eg., that has so many variants it really is easier to copy it from the last one that was closest, than maintain 10 slightly different templates. Save As is perfect for this.

I also rely on strategic saving in nearly everything I do and don't feel ready to give up the capacity to save when it best suits me. The versioning would have to work extremely well for it to give me something better than what I have by saving exactly as I wish.

I am, for the first time ever - and this is since System 7.1 - looking at the way the OS is heading and thinking that it's getting less useful for what we have to do with it. I was running the OS X public beta and have eagerly upgraded ever since, but here I am still running 10.6.8. iOS is great, I love it, but I really don't want anything like it on my Mac Pro. We have skilled people who can and need to interact with the file system for example. Hiding it from them, which OS X seems to be doing increasingly, just seems like a step backward in a work environment. Great for consumers - I get that. It just seems not quite so good for power users.

How are professionals and other power users finding these issues? Is it as limiting as it looks from where I sit?

kyte
2nd August 2012, 07:10 AM
One of the things that bothers me is how my staff are going to cope with the lack of a "Save As..."

Follow the tip provided in finewine's thread http://www.mactalk.com.au/11/110029-save-command.html#post1157527 and be joyful. It works.

soulman
2nd August 2012, 09:02 AM
Yeah, thanks. :) I saw that just after I posted. That's one down...

purana
2nd August 2012, 08:40 PM
I am running ML on a 2GB Late 2010 Air. Runs fine.
Biggest reason I see for upgrading, if your machine is Airplay supported and you have an ATV. Upgrade. Great feature to mirror display to ATV.

Shame this Air doesn't support it.

cosmichobo
13th September 2013, 10:31 PM
A year on... 5GB of RAM now instead of 2GB... Think maybe I'll upgrade to 10.8.5... :)

RE Airplay... Only had a Gen1 ATV... so no luck there... (and that's been packed away in favour of a G4 Mac Mini anyway) Have an iPad now.. but no real benefit to share that screen on the Macbook - if that even works.