PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best Mac you've ever had?

LCGuy
1st February 2004, 12:37 AM
For me, it'd have to be either my LCIII or my iMac. Why the LCIII? Well, it was my first Mac, and I have very fond memories of doing a lot of Mac stuff on it for the first time ever. It is also what really got me hooked on Macs, and computers in general. On the other hand, i'm pretty damn fond of my Lime Rev. D iMac 333 (tray load), too. Its my main Mac, and its just so nice! :D I picked it up second hand at the end of 2000, and i absolutely love it! This is the machine that saved me from jumping out my third story window or doing something else rather dangerous back in grade 12 back at boarding school when my life went to shit. Every afternoon, after a hard day in Hell, I would stop by the canteen, get some junk food, then race back to my room, lock the door, and get on the iMac for some fun on the internet. And yes, using a Mac during those hard times was a theraputic experience. ;) Then, a year after all that finished, this girl that I had known online for a couple of years and myself started to become more th an friends, if you know what i mean...;) And when that happened, I was on the iMac. :D Try that on an Ipex. ;)

Cory5412
1st February 2004, 04:15 AM
Power Macintosh 7300/200, hands down. It was my first mac (used) and it was also my tenth or so mac (the same one!)

I got it, and then got an LC and dad said when I asked him if I could buy an LC pds card "why don't you just get a new pc" and he got me a new pc and made me to sell the 7300. I gave it to a good friend, who over the years used it well, gave it to another of my friends who eventually let the 7300 find it's way back to me. :)

After that, would be the tibook, which is the closest to a new mac that I've ever had, it was a display model at CompUSA before I got it around my birthday in 2003 (that'd be like, in a few days now, on the 9th of feb.)

Radar
1st February 2004, 10:38 AM
It would have to be my iMac 350MHz, which is actually for sale right now in the trading forums!! It's my first proper Mac (I have had a couple of Newtons, a PB160, an eMate), and it's a dream to use. It's fast, it's reliable, it runs the latest OS. It's just an awesome machine. Pity I have a major need for cash and need to sell her.

Disko
1st February 2004, 08:57 PM
Well, my best, first, and only mac is my 17" powerbook.

I plan to get more later... i'm aiming for the dual 3ghz. :D

mbd
1st February 2004, 10:11 PM
The best mac I've owned would be the G4 cube. It's the first mac I bought, with quite a bit of trepidation, but it turned me into the Mac addict I am. (To the point of watching keynote addresses at all hours and evangalising Apple to other PC friends...). Once I replaced the standard 20gb hdd inside it with a Seagate Barracuda IV, it was entirely silent almost all the time (aside from heavy HDD or CD-ROM accesses). To sit up late at night working on a computer and having absolutely no noise in the house other than the fridge motor and the clacking of your keyboard was so alien. While the cube is no longer my main computer, I am still using it for file serving, and I hope I never have to get rid of it - one day I reckon it will be a real collectible :-).

Disko
1st February 2004, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by RocketFactory@Feb 1 2004, 10:41 PM
I hope I never have to get rid of it - one day I reckon it will be a real collectible :-).
Reading your post... i was really hoping that you wouldn't say that. :)
I'm looking for someone to give me a cube... or maybe in 3 months, i'll be looking to buy one . :)

jameso
2nd February 2004, 07:14 AM
i could really get down on a cube. with a 1.4ghz upgrade and a new gfx card it would fly. There is a company that sells refurbished cubes world wide.

jameso

edit - best mac, my beige g3. the first mac i paid for with my own $$$.

Cory5412
2nd February 2004, 12:01 PM
I always thought that a Cubie would make a nice lil' network server, just one of those things (like the old Cobalt Qube) that you hook into your network, and let it run, and every onceinawhile you use it to shuffle some files around.

(just rename it iServe, include a 10client osx server and rearrange it to be more serverlike)

Byrd
2nd February 2004, 06:47 PM
Had to be my Mac Plus, which lasted many, many years, getting my brother and I through high school (and later, for my brother's uni honours thesis). By the end, you had to whack it HARD to get a picture on the screen (something about cracked/dry solder joints), but we sold it then.

pipsqeek
5th February 2004, 10:23 AM
Have to be my LCII. Which I loved dearly. Damn, I could do anything on that pizza box.

Then I went and got a performa5200CD. Bigger, faster, etc...
Still liked the size and style of the LCII

Now I have still got the performa but mainly use the 900Mhz iBook I got for studies last year. a day before I heard about the G4 iBooks. I was not :) I was :angry:

Tried to talk to apple dealer, to swap and pay extra or something, but its 2nd hand as soon as you walk out the shop.

Can't say it was the best experience I had with the dealer. The new ibook screen was not right, you looked at it and it made you crosse eyed. there were thre dead pixels, and also found by accident that the firewire port was not even working.

After bing with macs for over 10 years, I was not happy with the products. But I got a replacement, unfortunately still a G3 :angry:

Steve

jameso
5th February 2004, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Feb 5 2004, 10:23 AM
Have to be my LCII. Which I loved dearly. Damn, I could do anything on that pizza box.

Then I went and got a performa5200CD. Bigger, faster, etc...
Still liked the size and style of the LCII

Now I have still got the performa but mainly use the 900Mhz iBook I got for studies last year. a day before I heard about the G4 iBooks. I was not :) I was :angry:

Tried to talk to apple dealer, to swap and pay extra or something, but its 2nd hand as soon as you walk out the shop.

Can't say it was the best experience I had with the dealer. The new ibook screen was not right, you looked at it and it made you crosse eyed. there were thre dead pixels, and also found by accident that the firewire port was not even working.

After bing with macs for over 10 years, I was not happy with the products. But I got a replacement, unfortunately still a G3 :angry:

Steve
It's really sad that so many mac users are have a hard time with apple hardware these days. I'm not sure if it is to do with changes at apple (go Steve!!) or the fact that apple are un-lucky (yeah, asif) but the least they could do is admit there problems. Too bad it takes legions of Walking Dead (http://www.appleturns.com/scene/?id=4475) to get them to do anything.

On the plus side, i may get a change to pick up a headless iBook (you know, with no screen). Just think, half a mac =)

jameso

pipsqeek
5th February 2004, 12:25 PM
It is a shame. I had no issues at all with either of my first two macs.

Its a shame to hear about all these problems. and experience them too.

Luckily my firewire port was gone on the iBook, otherwise I would have been stuck with three dead pixels around the screen. I wouldn't have minded as much (still would have though) if they were out of the way, and the fact that I deal alot with astronomical displays and star charts, these defects made my displays inaccurate.

The Apple site said that each case it taken on as individual circumstances. Mine was individual, as I mentioned to them. It was effecting my work. not soo much my studies but besides putting in notes with Appleworks or TextEdit, with a dark background? forget it. Especially when stars and planets and exteremely accurate information is needed.

Very interesting to see that Apple's product quality, looks nicer, has really become form over function rather than function over form.

And as mentioned by you, by not supporting their issues, makes it worse.

Steve

Cory5412
5th February 2004, 02:47 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing a headless iBook, it'd make a great tv-output or projector attatched mac, esp. since you can have it all on your lap and it has tv out. If it's one that has vga out, that's just all the better ;)

I used to do that with an old pc laptop, well it was deskbound, but I took off the screen and used it as a desktop. (almost like an Apple IIc)

LCGuy
6th February 2004, 03:58 PM
Originally posted by pipsqeek@Feb 5 2004, 12:25 PM
It is a shame. I had no issues at all with either of my first two macs.

Its a shame to hear about all these problems. and experience them too.

Luckily my firewire port was gone on the iBook, otherwise I would have been stuck with three dead pixels around the screen. I wouldn't have minded as much (still would have though) if they were out of the way, and the fact that I deal alot with astronomical displays and star charts, these defects made my displays inaccurate.

The Apple site said that each case it taken on as individual circumstances. Mine was individual, as I mentioned to them. It was effecting my work. not soo much my studies but besides putting in notes with Appleworks or TextEdit, with a dark background? forget it. Especially when stars and planets and exteremely accurate information is needed.

Very interesting to see that Apple's product quality, looks nicer, has really become form over function rather than function over form.

And as mentioned by you, by not supporting their issues, makes it worse.

Steve
I agree. I still love Macs, but Apple themselves, and their hardware quality really has gone downhill over the past few years. That said, I still want a 12" AlBook. ;)

jameso
7th February 2004, 06:59 AM
"That said, I still want a 12" AlBook. "

My dream machine, i want the lab burning goodness

jameso

Comet
7th February 2004, 06:16 PM
My best mac would be the iMac Rev A 233mhz :)

It was the very first mac that I've bought with my own money, and it still goes. It was quiet, didn't convert my room into a sauna like my PC did, and it was just funky. The fact that it has infrared, built in speakers, USB, mic, etc as all in one brought a whole new experience to computers.

In terms of the worst, it's the LCIII. So much for so little! It was good enough to play sim city 2000 but that was about it. My dad quickly gave up using it cause it wasn't that good, and went out and bought a PowerMac 8100 AV.

Another crappy computer would be the iBook. The size is great what not, but it just is crap. The logic board failures, power connector breaking etc etc.

Currawong
8th February 2004, 10:53 AM
It's hard to decide the best Mac I've ever owned. Realistically, the G3 350 Rev. II I had was the most solid machine, although I never got to run OSX on it, followed by a 7300/200 and a Quadra 650, both of which I set up for my father, and neither of which crashed ever. My current DP450 G4 used to never be shut down between software updates (21-30 days on average), but it refuses to sleep with some firewire devices plugged in now, so I have to shut it down.

The best machine overall was a Powerbook 520. Looking back, I can't say it was a great machine, but I ran it for 5 years as my main machine, traveling all over the place with it and it's extras.

stevejay
9th February 2004, 08:50 AM
My current one, an eMac 1Ghz with superdrive, 80Gb HDD and 384Mb RAM. Close second would be my old "frankenbook", a 1400 166cs a friend cobbled for me, but sadly it died a few months ago - couldn't handle the trip to QLD and back in the baggage hold of the plane. Jeez I miss that 'book.

Byrd
9th February 2004, 09:40 AM
Steve PB1400's are really cheap out there - I picked up a PB1400cs/166 40MB/1.3GB HD at a PC computer swap meet for $50.

I never found it to be a great machine to be honest - while on paper the specs were 'reasonable' for MP3 playback and Office tasks, it seemed to fall short on both. For a passive screen, it wasn't bad - until you used it side by side an active one! eww :)

stevejay
10th February 2004, 06:39 AM
Yeh, my 1400 was a clunker, but it shat on the 6100 I had at the time, and even now I've got my eMac 1G, I miss the portability and being able to pull it out on the couch, play a rack of TetrisMAX or tickle one of my screenplays while watching The Bill. :)

Currawong
10th February 2004, 07:04 AM
Hmm...all the mentions of cubes....I had one, briefly, while my G4 was being fixed. I had to toss up between selling my G4 or the cube. In the end, I sold the cube, only because it can't fit all my hard drives, has no PCI slots and has limited video card options. But I LOVED the silence.

I might be able to find a cube if anyone wants one. The cost would still be over AU$1k though.

Disko
10th February 2004, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by Currawong@Feb 10 2004, 07:34 AM
I might be able to find a cube if anyone wants one. The cost would still be over AU$1k though.
Yeah? You've got a "source" of cubes? What specs?

Currawong
10th February 2004, 09:04 AM
Originally posted by Disko@Feb 10 2004, 08:49 AM
Yeah? You've got a "source" of cubes? What specs?
Probably the default specs, I think 128mb/10Gb/DVD. I only remember a shop had some ex-lease machines. They seemed to think them not worth much a while back when they were going for $2000 on eBay, while they were selling 233 iMac's for double what they were worth.

Craigglez
10th February 2004, 10:47 AM
My best Mac would be the one I am using right now, which also happens to be my first ;)

It's a 12" PowerBook G4, the aluminium one, and I love it, so much so that my dual CPU PC that was my pride and joy now sits in the corner rusting away whilst the PowerBook gets all my attention :P

One day, if I see a good deal, I will purchase a PowerMac for a workstation/server :)

pipsqeek
11th February 2004, 09:35 AM
Welcome to the world of Apple.

I am a born again mac user. currently with an iBook 12 inch 900. wanted portability. Otherwise would have gone for the 15 inch PB. But my mates wasn't looking too good after a bit over a year. All its done it sit at his desk. never been out the house.

I also did not like the feel of the keyboard and generaly the iBooks felt more solid.

Steve

cogo
12th February 2004, 07:48 PM
Would have to be without a doubt my Blue&White g3 tower. For some reason even with only 196meg of ram i could do almost anything in classic and NEVER run out of memory. THat thing was an awesome piece of kit until some asshat stole it :angry:

Disko
13th February 2004, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by cogo@Feb 12 2004, 08:18 PM
THat thing was an awesome piece of kit until some asshat stole it :angry:
Yeah.... damn asshats. :angry:

thephydeaux
26th February 2006, 08:38 PM
I have to admit I loved my mac plus .... then I "upgraded" to a 6200 (Gad what a dog that was) the a 9600 which was really good, but I do love my G5 1.8.

So, its a toss up between the mac plus or the G5.... mac plus or G5...... mac plus or g5

Sorry Guys I'll have ot go with the G5, althought I still remember the mac plus with fond memories. And where did it go? I donated it to a school who have probably now sent it to landfill, or added it to their museum of modern art :)

Tim R

ps, never had the pleasure of a cube but I do remember lusting over one .....but then I am a mathematician of sorts, so you'll have to excuse me

Rayd
26th February 2006, 08:50 PM
ive been through alot of macs and i can say that my Quicksilver IS the best ever. never crashes, still runs everything i throw at it, has been my main machine for 5 years and is going to be for years to come :D upgradablity is unbelivable! i love it :D

applecollector
26th February 2006, 09:08 PM
I have too many to choose from so i've narrowed it down to 3.

Not in any order:

1. eMac 1.25Ghz 784Mb Ram SuperDrive love that little machine
2. Defiantly my B&W G3 350Mhz (Soon G4 700Mhz) (Soon Media Centre) it's so upgradable works so well, and after the transformation is completed it'll be even better.
3. My iBook Dual USB i dont know what i would do without it and as i write this it's still doing a fantastic job. ohhh i cant do this i have to add my Clamshell 300Mhz my first PPC bought in 2003 for $400 that too has been upgraded such a wonderful little mac does all my web browsing & chatting.

decryption
26th February 2006, 09:26 PM
An LCII I had while in primary school. That thing is a work of art. The simplicity of it's design is amazing.

Same goes for the Apple II we used actually at school and that I have in the garage back home. It is such a logical computer. The way it works is how every computer should work. It's capable of so many tasks, yet it's such a simple device.

debs
26th February 2006, 09:53 PM
Most definitely my iBook G4 12". Even though it refuses to wake from sleep every now and then. And not to mention the logic board that was replaced. And lets forget about the mini dvi to rca adapter that never worked. But really, I wouldn't trade it for the world! Well... maybe for the next 12" iBook...

bernie234
26th February 2006, 10:45 PM
15 inch iMac lamp shade model...... never missed a beat, wish I still had it.......edit: it was my first Mac, I now have a 17in iSight iMac rev c running 10.4.5 and a 12in powerbook.......

Arkhum_Eramak
26th February 2006, 11:42 PM
Probably my G4 Cube. The only time it died was when I foolishly handled my graphics card without discharging the electricity, although (impressively) even though the graphics card was stuffed and I couldn't use the OS as there was just pixellated gibberish and colours everywhere, Hardware test not only booted but displayed fine and detected that the graphics card was dead. I couldn't believe it. That was when I decided that the disc Batman uses in Batman Returns to scan the Batmobile was clearly Apple Hardware Test.

But the cube just went, never died, never irritated me, only annoyed me when it got the random shut down disease. Turned out the power button bracket thing was bent down slightly. Bent it back up, and went well til I passed it on looking for a little more portability.

Now I have the G4 15" Titanium PowerBook of death. The damn thing hates me. Should the Titanium PowerBooks electrocute you? Mine seems to constantly have electricity running over the surface of it. Prickles my arm hairs :/

cosmichobo
27th February 2006, 12:19 AM
What's the best Mac I've ever had?

a) Macintosh Classic 2/20 8MHz
B) Macintosh LCIII 4/40 25MHz
c) Macintosh Quadra 840av 32/1600 80MHz
d) Twentieth Anniversary Macintosh 64/2000 250MHz
e) eMac 512/160000 1.25GHz

Hmm, Eddy... Lock in d.

What can I say. Anyone who knows me knows there's only one answer to that question. The TAM is the best Mac ever made. Most beautiful, most technological in its time, best sound system, just an amazing machine. I dreamt of owning the Quadra after seeing the voice recognition and video capture abilities during a press conference in Darwin, but when I saw the TAM in Macworld, I just lusted after it. So beyond its time - took other computer manufacturers years to start making similar machines, and even Apple took a while to re-use TAM features.

If you ever get the chance to own one, don't pass it up. There's less than 12,000 of them in the world, probably more like half that in functioning order these days.

timothyh
27th February 2006, 12:30 AM
Have to be my first Mac (indeed, my first computer - I was a late starter), a little iMac 15"FP 'Sunflower', 768Mb RAM,700MHz, 40Gb HDD, 250Gb external FW HDD, Airport card, combo DVD/CD drive. Hasn't missed a beat so far, keeps chugging away...just upgraded OS to 10.4.5 (from 10.3.9). Won't do 'droplet' effect when opening new widgets (no CoreImage), but that was to be expected.
Great family machine as the display is so easily and quickly adjusted to different viewing heights.
Also have iMac G5 (first release, no mid-plane/fan problems yet), 1.8GHz, 20", 2Gb RAM, 160Gb HDD, AP, BT...love the screen real estate.
My 15" G4 PB, 1.67GHz, 1.5Gb RAM, 80Gb HDD, will become a favourite, though. Got it so I could work in the lounge on our 37" HD Aquos LCDTV. Plug her in, BT keyboard and mouse in hand, Coopers Special Stout close by, and I'm ready to play! PB has the screen lines problem, but Nextbyte has committed to replace the screen, and with Applecare, there's no rush, I guess.

Tim.

Sam
27th February 2006, 04:15 AM
The LCIII, my first mac, worked everytime. never skipped a beat.

pipsqeek
27th February 2006, 06:57 AM
My LCII, which still boots today.

The same can't be said for most of the other mac's I've ever owed.

Ben™
27th February 2006, 07:02 AM
This Mac Mini for sure.

symean
27th February 2006, 07:09 AM
I know everyone bags it but the IIvi was our first Mac at home, and it was bulletproof. It was the FIRST Mac with a built-in CD drive, it played quicktime movies in a little 160x120 window, had awesome sound (around the time you had to buy a sound card for Windows machines otherwise all you got was 'beep' in different tones). My parents spent a bucketload on it, and I'm glad they did - before that the several PCs we had never really kindled my interest in IT...I just spent most of the time yelling "Dad! it's not working again!" :)

Devski
27th February 2006, 07:39 AM
Cube.

Hands down the coolest computer ever. I did the same as RocketFactory and upgraded the hard drive to a Seagate Barracude IV. Also upgraded the video card to run Quartz extreme. Coupled with an Apple studio display and those beautiful speakers it was worth it's price tag as a piece of furniture, computing was just a plus.

My Cube ultimately destroyed my desktop Mac experience. When it became too old to use as my primary desktop so I sold it and bought a Rev A 20" iMac G5. Since owning a Cube, I expect computers to be silent. Completely silent. The constant humming of the iMac G5 drove me to the point of insanity until I replaced it with a PowerBook. I may never own another desktop Mac - unless I can be reunited with my old Cube.

Danamania
27th February 2006, 08:16 AM
Originally posted by thephydeaux@Feb 26 2006, 08:38 PM
Sorry Guys I'll have ot go with the G5, althought I still remember the mac plus with fond memories. And where did it go? I donated it to a school who have probably now sent it to landfill, or added it to their museum of modern art :)

Tim R

ps, never had the pleasure of a cube but I do remember lusting over one .....but then I am a mathematician of sorts, so you'll have to excuse me
Arrrr it's a doggo!. Welcome to ATAU :)

My fave is my current one too, the eMac 1GHz. It's rock solid, it just works, and it's taken the HD (200GB) and optical (DVD Burner) without a hiccup. 3 years old this year too. I'd like something newer, but for now the eMac does well.

I do appreciate all my old macs too, and must add those that have acted as my webserver to the list of favourites - Quadra 605, 6100/66 and Performa 6360. All solid performing beasties those.

dana

Pulgar
27th February 2006, 08:48 AM
I'll chip in here...I'd have to say our 1.25 Emac has given us the most enjoyable computing experience. We took it out of the box, plugged it in turned it on and were online in as soon as the network cable was in. It was awesome, my wife and i felt we could have been in an Ad. for Apple..that's how computing SHOULD be for home users.
The Green iMac DV was cool at the time too, but it had a few personal 'issues'. My kids dig it, it's an extra DVD player.
Our LC 630 has never stumbled, still does internet and email happily every day for my sister. Oh I had a 7100/80AV that never really got itself together (NUBUS).
My wife is in love with her iBook, and I am pretty stoked with the PB 1.67...provided it keeps itself together..I feel like I can't really relax with it and I'm waiting for something bad to happen....SO.....

Emac...is king...(for us).

cheers...

jerrah
27th February 2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Arkhum_Eramak@Feb 26 2006, 11:42 PM
Should the Titanium PowerBooks electrocute you? Mine seems to constantly have electricity running over the surface of it. Prickles my arm hairs :/
Use the three prong power cord, not just the two prong. I had the EXACT same problem with my 1.67 Powerbook... :| I hope Apple have fixed this earthing problem with the macbook pro...

jeremy_warnock
27th February 2006, 10:04 AM
hmm my little G3 350Mhz imac is a gem - its the little mac that could - she aint fast but she does get the job done

Goodbye
27th February 2006, 10:20 AM
The constant humming of the iMac G5 drove me to the point of insanity

The hum of the iMac driving you insane...try working on an eMac!

I think the best Mac I ever had is this one...my 20" iMac G5 Rev B. The screen is gorgeous, it's fast, and it looks the business too.

cmjl
27th February 2006, 10:36 AM
I'd hazard a guess and say that the best Mac anyone ever had was the first one that they truly owned.

I spent several years begging, borrowing and scrounging Mac gear in the late 1980's to get things done (Uni assignments, typing, programming for profit etc) but when I actually scraped enough money together to buy my own (SE with dual FDHD that I plugged in to a 20 MB external SCSI drive that I paid $500 for) I really felt that I had made it.

I cherished that Mac for four years.

And sure, every Mac I've had since then has been faster, more colourful, prettier etc. But I've never had the same feeling I did that day I took my SE FDHD out of its brown box for the first time.

soulman
27th February 2006, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by cmjl@Feb 27 2006, 11:36 AM
I'd hazard a guess and say that the best Mac anyone ever had was the first one that they truly owned...
Earliest & most recent purchases do seem to rate highly here, which suggest that these assessments have more to do with one's attachment to a particular machine than its actual merit as a computational device. Not that there's anything wrong with that...

I fall into the latter camp - my G4 1.25DP is a fine machine that was impressively powerful when I bought it & remains so after more than 2 years. Runner up for me (and best ever packaging experience) was my G4 400. That was my first new computer & first experience of Apple packaging. I'm not a big consumer & retail therapy does nothing for me but unpacking an Apple product is a feast of the senses.

susiegb
27th February 2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by cmjl@Feb 27 2006, 10:36 AM
I'd hazard a guess and say that the best Mac anyone ever had was the first one that they truly owned.

Don't really agree personally. My first Mac was a 7200, which was great, although superceded about 1 month after we bought it!

Then I got a secondhand Powerbook - the second iteration, can't remember what they were called. I did really love that one. Only changed because the Salary Sacrifice option at work was too good to miss out on.

And now I've got an aluminium Powerbook, and this is really really my favourite of all! It is such a great one. I run a freelance (ie spare time from my 'day' job!) web design business on it. And last year I took it on holiday with me to London and India - and really loved that experience (travelling with a Mac).

So, maybe it's just my current Mac that's my favourite?!?!!

:D

mac_man_luke
27th February 2006, 11:29 AM
My fav would be my current mac

Dual 1.25Ghz MDD FW800

its a great machine and it hardly ever makes me wait for anything, the only reason i would need a faster mac would be if i got into video editing more often because FCP is about the only program to tax it so far!

mechcon
27th February 2006, 12:30 PM
Well, from all the macs i've used thoroughly at work, and my own powerbook at home? its obvious that its my powerbook as the winner so far, and i've used powermacs, imacs (g3, g4, 5, intel), minis, and ibooks, and of course powerbooks.

Would i be happy to have a 20" intel imac at home? probably not. but im yet to bring in my music software and try it out on the intel imac

MizuInOz
27th February 2006, 12:41 PM
My current "stuff" works fine - I would like a second 30" monitor - really do "need" more landscape. BUT will be patient.

Best laptop -17" - 1.67 Ghz with 2 Gigs of RAM and 100 Gb HDD

Best Desktop - current sys - Dual 2.5 - now have 4 TBytes of HDD but am waiting to go to intel before I upgrade to dual or dual dual... :)

Best monitor: 30" Apple HD Display...

none of this helps my dyslexia tho ... :P

Pismo
27th February 2006, 01:44 PM
My fav would have to have been my powerbook it was a PB1400C max out ram 64Meg upgraded NewerTech G3 250 Mhz 6 gig Hdrive Dell Truemobil wireless orinoco driver this thing went every where on holidays planes car with my old Quicktake 100 never missed a beat best keyboard i have ever type on :P But i do love my Pismo 1 gig ram 30 gig Hdrive aand Airport :thumbup:

Kallikak
27th February 2006, 02:25 PM
Hard one to answer, but I guess my Quadra 650 is the machine I feel most attached to. I ran alot of simulations and wrote my thesis on a Classic II with FPU (kind of a poor man's SE/30) - they were good days, but it was a bit of a struggle. Unlike the Classic II, the Q650 always seemed powerful enough for anything...

Graham
27th February 2006, 03:46 PM
My favourite was the 512KE I bought in 1986. It was later hacked to add a SCSI port to attached a massive 20MB (!!) external disk. I never had any hardware trouble with it in the five years I used it.

Of the recent ones I'm fond of the 500MHz iceBook as it's travelled with me through a few countries and about 100,000km with minimal trouble.

Dubhousing
27th February 2006, 03:57 PM
Loved the LC2 - HDD smaller than a zip disc but boy did it run.

New fave could be the intel imac, although early days yet. :lol:

Biggest hate? The g5 Powermac. Big, ugly & noisy. Perfect for work.

QueenOfSwords
27th February 2006, 04:21 PM
Easy.. only Mac I've owned, 12" iBook g4 800. I should sell it for my next upgrade, but I don't know if I'll have the heart...

the_com_man
27th February 2006, 08:25 PM
My lime green iBook G3 or my Mac Plus with 4MB of ram and a 40MB external hdd. Can't decide between them they both were the only macs that NEVER had a problem.

antechinus55
2nd March 2006, 10:20 AM
First time around, LC11 pizza box with A4 Pivot display (B&W, but sooo cool). I started work in a job where they had Macs and found myself administering them over 2 sites within 3 months
Skip forward 15 yrs, or is that 105pc yrs? Came back to Apple through a white G3 700 iBook with Airport, connected to a Netgear router. Cheapest laptop I could find! But what really got me back was OSX *nix, since I had been playing with Linux for about 4 yrs. I love OSX (although I am beginning to think I prefer 10.3.9 to 10.4.5, my machines seem constipated on 10.4.5).
Again, sitting on the back deck wirelessly on the internet is not necessary, but its fun and soooo cool. Still love the iBook (despite having the logic board replace by Apple and the cd drive replaced under warrenty!), but now have lots of G3 iMacs, including one as a server, a G4 PowerMac, but my absolute favourite is my G4 1.25 eMac, which is my iTunes server (I have an Airport Express connected to the upstairs stereo). All the machines are maxed out on ram, the PowerMac has USB2 support and SATA HDD, the G3 iMac server even has a 250gb 5400rpm hdd. (I like to fiddle.)
I almost never buy new, but I plan to get an Intel Mac Mini for the loungeroom as a media server (please don't tell my wife, I promised her I would not buy any more 'puters).
Also have a couple of Dell scsi servers I picked up cheap ($1 for one) on eBay. One is linux file server, one runs Windows 2000 server because I have not quite convinced my daughter to use macs (despite giving her 2 iMacs to use at her house).
So: 1. eMac, close 2. PowerMac 733/iBook 700

Sao

hawker
2nd March 2006, 10:35 AM
Wow this is an old thread :P

Anyway. up until two weeks ago, I would have said my iMac G4 800mhz, but now that I have the Quad, it blows it out of the water... So unless anything major goes wrong *touch wood* I'd go with the quad 2.5ghz ;)

Brains
5th March 2006, 07:45 PM
My favourite Mac would be my second one, a Macintosh Plus, which is still running and in regular use today, even though it's been relegated to studio duties. I just realised, it'll be twenty years old this year! I bought it new (after selling the 128k) and even when other Mac people around me were running IIfx's and Quadras, I was doing everything on the Plus, which sat on a triple-stack of three "zero footprint" hard drives. Nowadays, it is my main MIDI sequencer, boots off floppy into a RAM disk with System 6.0.2. No fan, no hard drive, total silence (which is what you want in a studio environment), and depite needing its analog board replaced once, and its replacement cured of dry joints, it hasn't missed a beat. Literally :)

A close second is my current main machine, Brutus, a platinum-livery G3 minitower. For a do-everything box it is impossible to match. Built in SCSI and IDE, multiple drive bays, and it still boots into what I consider the best Mac OS of all time, Mac OS 8.6. With 200 GB online storage, 768 MB of RAM (and a slight overclock to 375 MHz and a bus-speed boost from 66 MHz to 83 MHz), an ATI Radeon 7000 card & a combo USB/FireWire card, it also handles running Mac OS X 10.3.9 more than adequately. I don't game, I don't watch movies or do anything that's CPU intensive, so I see Brutus lasting me for many years to come.

I had a Mac Mini for four months, but I was spending more time on Brutus, so I sold it. Cute, though, and I plan on getting another G4 Mini eventually, even if it is only to restore Mimi the FrankenMini to its speedy glory :)

Brains

Granny Smith
5th March 2006, 07:59 PM
My first one - an SE. Bought it in 1987 when I was 18, with a loan from the bank that took me bloody years to pay off. Still have it - occasionally it somes out of its carry bag, and it always fires up and runs flawlessly. It's the computer that made me realise I could actually like a computer.

rabit
5th March 2006, 08:51 PM
My favourite is the 575, I used it for many years until I replaced it with the quicksilver, if only the quick silver was as quinte as the 575,
The 575 is still in use today as it has plenty of games to keep the children occupied.

macman
5th March 2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Granny Smith@Mar 5 2006, 07:59 PM
My first one - an SE. Bought it in 1987 when I was 18, with a loan from the bank that took me bloody years to pay off. Still have it - occasionally it somes out of its carry bag, and it always fires up and runs flawlessly. It's the computer that made me realise I could actually like a computer.
My two favs are my SE/30, which unfortunately has a white line down the middle of the screen now :( and my current PB 17"

I love the SE for the same reason above, its just a cool computer which just hummed along in its day. Would love to get it working again if anyone has any great ideas?

The 17" is very cool as it allows me to use it both @ home and in a windows environment @ work.