PDA

View Full Version : Blocking Specific Web Ads

tommelbourne
19th December 2005, 08:05 PM
Howdy All,

A website that i frequent (nothing 'nasty', just a Torrent site) has a banner ad that is, let us say, less than tasteful. It is there every time i enter the site and, to put it plainly, it pisses me off having to look at it every time i go to the site.

Is there any way of blocking a particular URL so that i don't have to see this annoying piece of trash ever again? Or is there some other method that can be used to stop the image from showing? I don't mind ads on the net, but this one is just plain tasteless and offensive.

Thanks,

Tom

astr0b0y
19th December 2005, 08:09 PM
Check out a Safari plug-in called Pith Helmet. (http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18158)

snark
19th December 2005, 08:17 PM
What browser are you using? Firefox has a very popular plug-in called adblock that does exactly that.

tommelbourne
19th December 2005, 08:20 PM
I generally (i.e. 95% of the time) am in Safari, so am giving astroboy's advice a go now.

EDIT: Thanks to astroboy and Petronius for your help. Pith Helmet in particular is VERY useful software, it has allowed me to block all ads at the one specific URL i was having trouble with but leave all others enabled. The options in it seem endless!

Thanks again,

Tom

mac_man_luke
19th December 2005, 08:44 PM
Otherwise add the address to your hosts file and point it to some other none existant IP

tommelbourne
19th December 2005, 08:45 PM
Originally posted by mac_man_luke@Dec 19 2005, 09:44 PM
Otherwise add the address to your hosts file and point it to some other none existant IP
How do you do that? The problem is already fixed, but now i am just interested in learning something!

neilrobinson
19th December 2005, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by tommelbourne@Dec 19 2005, 06:45 PM
How do you do that? The problem is already fixed, but now i am just interested in learning something!
easy....

just goto /etc/hosts and edit that, just follow the format already there. i have lots linked back to a blank page on a server close by.

neil

tommelbourne
19th December 2005, 09:57 PM
Sorry, i guess i am kinda thick. I open that document and the following appears:

##
# Host Database
#
# localhost is used to configure the loopback interface
# when the system is booting. Do not change this entry.
##
127.0.0.1 localhost
255.255.255.255 broadcasthost
::1 localhost

If i was, for example, to want to stop the banner ad that sits atop Appletalk from appearing (just as an example), what would i do?

Thanks guys,

Tom

mac_man_luke
20th December 2005, 12:41 AM
You can only block whole domains, so that would block you from the forums as well

Currawong
20th December 2005, 04:52 AM
I wouldn't tend to muck around with /etc/hosts unless you have a very good reason to do so, as you might forget about what you've changed and wonder why things are broken later.

If you don't like advertising, Privoxy is a good solution, though you need to change a couple of things in the config file either using the terminal, Pseudo, Textwranger or something that can act as "root" to make the changes.

snark
20th December 2005, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by tommelbourne@Dec 19 2005, 09:20 PM
I generally (i.e. 95% of the time) am in Safari, so am giving astroboy's advice a go now.

I will try it out a bit later too.

Thanks for the tip, Astr0b0y

bullrout
20th December 2005, 05:16 PM
I know you said "specific" but if you want to block all adverts try this (http://www.floppymoose.com/). I have been using it for ages with no problems.