PDA

View Full Version : Has my hd crashed?

amnesia
22nd July 2012, 09:09 AM
I turned my working MacBook pro off last night and this morning the DVD drive made a double whirr sound and I now have a NO SIGN.

Is my Hd dead? Luckily I backed up the day before.
Why would it work fine last night and now not work?

Thanks

---------- Post added at 09:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:04 AM ----------

I just booted from cntrl option v and p and it says
Hfs mount root 5
Cannot mount root erroneous 19

---------- Post added at 09:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:07 AM ----------

Errno 19

mjankor
22nd July 2012, 10:47 AM
Sounds like it. Boot from DVD and run disk utility. See whether it can even see the hdd.

amnesia
22nd July 2012, 01:40 PM
Using disk utility it can see the drive and first aid says
Partition map appears ok

Should I just erase it and install from the back up?

Or just buy a new 750 gig had and run time machine?

mjankor
22nd July 2012, 03:19 PM
I'd try repairing it first. Have a look and see if SMART status says anything too? (Down the bottom of the utility window.)

If it recovers, and if there's any funny slowness or beachballing, I'd start preparing for a new drive though.

amnesia
22nd July 2012, 03:53 PM
It's says it has prepare and everything is Ok .

I use parallels and windows 7 and I did a windows disk clean up so wonder if that was stuffed the drive up?

But what I don't understand is the derive appears to be fine in utility disk yet it won't mount when I start the computer

mick132
22nd July 2012, 05:52 PM
If you have a Time Machine backup, erase the disc in recovery mode using Disc Utility, then restore from Time Machine. It will even restore Windows 7 if you have a full backup. You can access the recovery mode by holding down Command + r while rebooting.

It happened to me after using Windows 7 through Parallels too!

soulman
22nd July 2012, 05:54 PM
I use parallels and windows 7 and I did a windows disk clean up so wonder if that was stuffed the drive up?Sounds like the kind of thing that could render your disk unbootable. If you did that yesterday then it is likely to be the problem. Restore from backup I'd say.

amnesia
22nd July 2012, 08:15 PM
I tried to erase the drive but it shows
Disk 1
Osx base system

Won't unmount