PDA

View Full Version : MSN Messenger:mac

zen
25th August 2004, 10:42 PM
Is anyone else that&#39;s using msn for mac experiencing this problem? <_< (loosing connection all the time)

It has been two months since my switch and this has really been pissing me off&#33; Perhaps I should try another client that also support MSN?

Your thoughts, inputs are appreciated :)

eni
25th August 2004, 10:44 PM
I use the Adium client. Mainly for MSN. Love it. Don&#39;t experience any dropouts.

Cam
25th August 2004, 10:47 PM
I use proteus

Quamen
26th August 2004, 06:42 AM
yes it drops out all the time.

Are either of you two using those alternatives over a wireless network? I tried one other msn client but had about the same success rate with dropouts over my wireless setup.

luke_in_tas
26th August 2004, 07:17 PM
I have the same problem. MSN Messenger disconnects all the time, and for no apparent reason.

I have only been experiencing this problem since I upgraded to Office 2004. I don&#39;t think the version of Messenger changed at this time, but that was when the problem started. I have looked on Microsoft&#39;s web site and in their Messenger news forum, but have been unable to find any solution.

Disko
26th August 2004, 07:41 PM
fire, adium, proteus - just a few msn clients you can use without ads, and better features. :)

eni
26th August 2004, 08:07 PM
Originally posted by Quamen@Aug 26 2004, 06:42 AM
Are either of you two using those alternatives over a wireless network? I tried one other msn client but had about the same success rate with dropouts over my wireless setup.
I am, for about a week now. No problems with wireless + adium for msn.

Does your wireless base thing support UPnP? To be honest I don&#39;t know what it is, but in setting up my wireless a week ago I did a bit of research and read that msn requires it.

frenchtoast
26th August 2004, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Aug 26 2004, 07:41 PM
fire, adium, proteus - just a few msn clients you can use without ads, and better features. :)
So whats recommended above the others out of the three?

zen
26th August 2004, 10:53 PM
Yes indeed my powerbook is connected to the internet via wireless but I can sertainly assure you that (and UPnP) is not the caused of this problem at all. It has been doing the same thing for atleast two weeks straight when I was still on dialup :o (back in the days... :rolleyes:)

Ok, so by judging from the others post I&#39;ve came up with a conclusion that it&#39;s Microsoft&#39;s software fault and I guess I&#39;ll have to ditch MSN Messenger and use something else.

So which one out of these three would you guys recommend? Fire, Adium or Proteus?

Is there any that supports the &#39;MSN Profile Pic&#39; feature? It seems like the MS version does not support that either <_< sometimes it could be a pain in the ass identifiying who&#39;s who especially when you have 10x Emma&#39;s on the list :blink: (just using that as an example)

Cam
27th August 2004, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by frenchtoast+Aug 26 2004, 10:07 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (frenchtoast @ Aug 26 2004, 10:07 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Disko@Aug 26 2004, 07:41 PM
So whats recommended above the others out of the three? [/b][/quote]
Proteus isnt free but is far superior ;)

Support Mac software and buy it&#33;

kristian
30th August 2004, 01:21 AM
Originally posted by zen@Aug 26 2004, 10:53 PM
Is there any that supports the &#39;MSN Profile Pic&#39; feature? It seems like the MS version does not support that either <_< sometimes it could be a pain in the ass identifiying who&#39;s who especially when you have 10x Emma&#39;s on the list :blink: (just using that as an example)
AFAIK, Proteus supports the MSN profiles pictures and so does aMsn.