PDA

View Full Version : Putting SSD into late-2008 MacBook Pro (5,1)

dumbland
19th July 2012, 12:55 PM
Hey folks,

I'm considering replacing the 320GB hard drive in my Macbook Pro with an SSD. I don't have a specific model in mind at the moment, because I'm just starting to look. Physically replacing the drive itself does not trouble me. The iFixit guide seems sufficient. I'm more curious if there are any non-obvious things I should look out for. Complete newbie to SSDs here.

Is it as simple as buying a drive and shoving it in, or are there some features/settings I should be aware of, or even some brands/models I should be wary of?

Thanks

MissionMan
19th July 2012, 02:19 PM
Yeah, its as simple as buying the drive. Only issue is the torx screwdriver needed for the macbook pro. I think its a torx t5. Some of the hard drive providers can supply this to you as part of a hard drive replacement kit but it depends on the model and kit you buy. The screwdrivers aren't proprietary. You can buy them from any electronics store.

Devil rolla
19th July 2012, 03:09 PM
Or hardware store, thats where I bought mine for my 07 MBP SSD upgrade.

oneplusone
19th July 2012, 04:49 PM
I''ve got the same model MBP and have done this same mod.
It's pretty easy to do, just follow the ifixit instructions.

I have to say that this has made a night-and-day transformation to my Mac.
I was pretty much resigned to buying a new one but I think this will give me at least another year of use.
I used a 64gb Crucial SSD and have put my regular HDD into a bay where the Superdrive was. so i've still got plenty of storage.
Just make sure that you get a drive with a good warranty and that you back up regularly as often when SSDs die, it's pretty much impossible to get the data off them. Don't let this put you off as it's a compromise that's more than worth making.

Good luck!

JimWOz
19th July 2012, 05:10 PM
Your MBP 5,1 has a SATA 2 interface.
So, unless you intend to upgrade to a new MBP soon and can then take advantage of having a SATA 3 SSD, then the SATA 2's are a little cheaper, but not much.

Iain Best
19th July 2012, 07:58 PM
I put a OCZ Agility 3 (SATA3) SSD into my MBP 5,5 (SATA2) and had to run a utility which forces it to run in SATA2 mode - if you don't do this, it will often fall back to SATA1 speeds.

dumbland
20th July 2012, 04:35 PM
That's great, thanks a lot.

So it sounds like the SATA2/SATA3 is the main thing to be aware of, though not a dealbreaker.

I'm basically attempting to eke a bit more life out of the laptop as my main Mac until Apple get around to releasing new iMacs, so whatever I get would likely stay there for the remaining life of the machine. So SATA2 would be fine but I guess it then comes down the price and what is available.

Thanks for the tips everyone.