PDA

View Full Version : Anyone replaced HDD on a Lacie Rugged enclosure?

migo
17th July 2012, 11:05 AM
Hi guys
I have a 320Gb Lacie rugged external HDD (the orange one). Do you know if I can change the drive to a larger one? From what I saw it should be quite straight forward. Cheaper then getting a new Rigged HDD.
Cheers
Mica

gehenna
17th July 2012, 11:48 AM
Are you sure it would be cheaper? You'd void the warranty for a start. Usually with HDD's both internal and external it's just as cheap to replace them when they fail as to try and MacGyver something together

migo
17th July 2012, 01:52 PM
warranty is long gone so i dont care to break things.

decryption
17th July 2012, 02:32 PM
I took one apart once. Lots of glue. Not designed to be be replaced. If you can get the drive out without damaging it, and gluing it back together, it'll be fine, but it would be really hard.

I never found it that rugged anyways. It's just a rubber casing - buy one of these from eBay and it's the same thing: Silicone Skin Case 2.5" SATA IDE HDD Hard Disk Drive | eBay (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Silicone-Skin-Case-2-5-SATA-IDE-HDD-Hard-Disk-Drive-/320556073413?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item4aa2a181c5#ht_2420wt_1141)

skyhawkmatthew
18th July 2012, 07:04 PM
You don't have to do any gluing or the like - I've swapped the drive out in one. You just take off the orange rubber piece, pop open the case within and then it's just a normal hard disk enclosure.

Dumbit
10th December 2012, 05:37 AM
I took the original useless drive out of the rugged thunderbolt version within 5 minutes of purchase. Performance of the device is poor even with some of the fastest drives available installed.

To answer the op, yes to change out the drive is really easy. Just four screws, But the device is only good for backups

If your looking to improve thunderbolt performance look elsewhere

Biallystock
10th December 2012, 07:17 AM
Just tape up a raw HDD with bubble wrap.

mjankor
10th December 2012, 08:58 AM
I took the original useless drive out of the rugged thunderbolt version within 5 minutes of purchase. Performance of the device is poor even with some of the fastest drives available installed.

To answer the op, yes to change out the drive is really easy. Just four screws, But the device is only good for backups

If your looking to improve thunderbolt performance look elsewhere

What did you replace it with? Did you try an SSD and if so what results did you get?