PDA

View Full Version : iPad Mini

Oldmacs
13th July 2012, 06:21 PM
So we've been hearing a lot about the rumoured iPad mini. I really can't make my mind up whether or not it is at all believable. It is confusing me a lot!
What does everyone else think?

wolfie
13th July 2012, 07:01 PM
gonna happen, just to tidy up all markets.
small iOS device, medium iOS device and large iOS device

Oldmacs
13th July 2012, 07:36 PM
Thats what I think some of the time, but then I think that there has been too many leaks and that Apple wouldn't do it because it would't because it would make it hard for developers.

SomeRandomBloke
13th July 2012, 07:59 PM
I used to be sceptical but I think it makes sense - unless the Google Nexus tablet really is that good a 7" iPad will wipe the floor. My money is on it appearing before Christmas.

entropy
13th July 2012, 08:54 PM
I want an A4 sized iPad.

Seriously though, Apple should do it just to close off a possible gap in the market. The iPod strategy.

woofy
13th July 2012, 10:30 PM
I honestly thought the original iPad would be A4, was disappointed when I saw how small it was.

Unless the nexus gets full google play functionality by sept sales are going to dive. I doubt it will be a retina display but with the existing ecosphere it could be $300 and that would be enough to sway people.

Recently another company asked us about the iPads we have had deployed since the US release, one thing they said was worth going to the iPads for was that you know you can bring in a new version at any time and it will just work with your existing setup. The android tablet market is so fragmented, updates are all over the place, apps work on some and not others and accessory makers cant keep up with every variant.

We had never thought about it as there was only the iPad when we started using them but she's right. Same with the iPhone, you can smash one or bring in a new employee and away you go. Microsoft will probably only be the real challenge to Apple but they really don't get it.

Oldmacs
13th July 2012, 11:13 PM
An A4 iPad would be good, But I have a feeling Apple is shying away from multiple sizes because of Apps.

invig
2nd August 2012, 10:44 AM
I really can not see Apple releasing a new product line that doesn't have a Retina display. That part of the rumour just doesn't make sense.

Erwin
2nd August 2012, 10:46 AM
I would love an A4 size iPad. Would make document viewing much more comfortable.

Appleaday
2nd August 2012, 11:03 AM
But A4 is not a US size, so why would they?

fother
2nd August 2012, 11:15 AM
Exactly, A4 won't happen. US Letter maybe (8.5" by 11") ... but I doubt it

kerr
15th August 2012, 06:00 PM
Apple's iPad Mini: Thinner, Lighter and Narrower - Mac Rumors (http://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/14/apples-ipad-mini-thinner-lighter-and-narrower/)

gikku
15th August 2012, 06:01 PM
will need a phone app.

kyte
14th October 2012, 05:24 AM
October 23rd Event...

As for a larger iPad... good god! Its already too heavy as it is. Lugging something bigger around is insane (IMO of course, you young things probably don't have arthritis in your hands yet).

Oldmacs
14th October 2012, 07:35 PM
Soooo......
There is a theory that Apple will be making the iPad mini more expensive than the competition, therefore giving it features such as retina and A6- They think people would rather pay more for a higher quality device.

I on the other hand am sceptical- I see them using iPad 2 like components- My iPad 2 copes perfectly today so would't it be fantastic with the same specs- with a smaller screen and expected to do less. On the retina display I am still not sure- It would be good as I think Apple wants to market the device as an eReader more than anything.

entropy
14th October 2012, 08:24 PM
Pretty sure it will ipad 2 guts (A5, 512mb RAM, 16 GB storage) with an IGZO screen, at ipad 2 pixel count (all those Sharp panels must be going somewhere, I think the iphone is LG). A version might have LTE.

I guess we will know 23 October.

Oldmacs
14th October 2012, 08:41 PM
I think its going to have retina....
Having thought of it it has to have retina.

skyhawkmatthew
14th October 2012, 08:52 PM
I think its going to have retina....
Having thought of it it has to have retina.

Too expensive, too demanding on the battery (= big battery = thick + expensive). It'll be 1024x768 (same resolution as iPad 2), but of course higher pixel density because of the smaller screen *the same as the iPhone/3G/3GS. Not retina-class, but better than the iPad 1/2. Even though it won't be retina, they can still leverage the improved thinner (merged layers) better colour IPS tech from the newer displays, just at lower resolution.

Without the retina display, they'll be able to keep size and price down: I think ballpark US$250-300.

Fingers
14th October 2012, 09:06 PM
There's a chance they may call it a Retina display, without changing the native screen resolution. If they keep the 1024 x 768 numbers from iPad 2, and squeeze it into a 7inch display, the numbers would have the pixel per inch increase by a factor of around 1.8....so that would be around 240 ppi, which is close enough to the New iPad's count.

Keeping the same screen pixel count would mean the processor of the iPad 2 would be a perfect match. So to keep the costs down they need not do too much with the processor at all, but given the new iTouch has the A5, I am hoping it goes in the mini iPad as well, but that may just put its price up ... :-(

With the iTouch at $329 and the iPad 2 at $429, there's not much room to slot this new device.

Can hardly wait ... :-)