PDA

View Full Version : Challenge!!!

Oldmacs
10th July 2012, 10:48 AM
I have a fun idea, Who wants to challenge themselves a time period ( Say a day, two days or a week) of using vintage Macs instead of intel ones? - Say a G3 day or a G4 week?
Any one game?
I might try a G4 day or two!

leon
10th July 2012, 11:14 AM
I tried using a TAM as a work machine for a week. Only lasted about 30 minutes as Office 98 kept on freezing randomly and crashing. I require endnote compatibility as well, which was not feasible with Word 98.
I would also get random freezing when plugging in a USB key which mean't data transfers were a bit painful.
Internet was also unusable on this machine as well as viewing PDF files was incredibly slow.

In 2008/9 I regularly used a 20"G4 iMac as my primary machine for about a month at a time. Did the same thing with a 12" 1.33GHz Powerbook that I purchased from this site as well.
G4's have no problems keeping up with 2012 day to day tasks. Even G3's aren't too bad. It is only when you step into beige that things get a little bit tricky.

Oldmacs
10th July 2012, 12:21 PM
I used G4 until mid way through last year! - In the end I was sick of iMovie 06, The fact that they can't run Office 11' and the internet became slow. I also Love all of the little things that are in Lion but not in Leopard.

nibbles
10th July 2012, 01:54 PM
Couldn't do it, not owning a machine with a PPC processor isn't the biggest reason either because even if I did, I wouldn't be able to do it. I just cannot put up with slow computers or internet anymore, i'd rather not waste my time doing such a thing.

I've got another challenge for you though, throttle your internet speed back to dialup on your main machine and see how many minutes you last. If you've got the developer tools/ Xcode installed open up Network Link Conditioner and set it to 56Kb/s.

Oldmacs
10th July 2012, 03:48 PM
Hahaha Good old dial up! - I put up for about 5 days with Bigpond Liberty slowed down speed :) - It drove me a bit insane after a while
(64 Kb/s) In fact we only went to broadband in late 2006!

I am spending the day on my G4 Mirror Door ( Dual proceser) and it isn't that bad at all really!
I even found a fantastic Youtube program called My Tubes- lets the G4 watch HD youtube videos!

nibbles
10th July 2012, 03:54 PM
A mate of mine only moved from dialup to ADSL1 one and a half years ago, now he's on the NBN.

Oldmacs
10th July 2012, 04:05 PM
That is a big change!- My area is supposed to be getting the NBN soon, I can't wait :)

LCGuy
10th July 2012, 06:18 PM
(64 Kb/s) In fact we only went to broadband in late 2006!

And I laugh, LAUGH! I was finally given the opportunity to upgrade from dialup to Telstra NextG in late 2009...and it was like going from a Model T Ford to a Bugatti Veyron. These days thankfully I'm on ADSL2+.

Oldmacs
10th July 2012, 06:28 PM
We are on plain ADSL because apparently all the ADSL 2 connections in the street are gone. I hate Bigpond.

---------- Post added at 06:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:28 PM ----------

I have spent a large part of the day on a G4- Its really not that bad :)

LCGuy
10th July 2012, 06:37 PM
Yeah...I often use my TiBook 500 as my "coffee table" machine, to browse the web and IM while watching telly...its a tad on the slow side, but its really not that bad. :)

Oldmacs
10th July 2012, 06:51 PM
My stupid classmates told me that my 4 year old Macbook was rubbish and too old, so to prove them wrong that old computers are rubbish, I did my whole Software Design Assignment on my 1400cs :P

I have only discovered this year that I can still use a G4! All of my experiences proir to this year, on a G4 have been on the eMac and iBook,. Now I have a acquired a Dual Processor G4 (MDD) Its actually quite good!- Much Much Much faster than an eMac!

jsarchibald
10th July 2012, 08:00 PM
I like using vintage gear in a modern environment. I went to a meeting at work with an original Newton Messagepad, and took some pictures with a Quicktake 100 too. I also brought a PB Wallstreet into work to do some word processing. I loved being in a meeting with the Newton and making notes while everyone keeps looking at me thinking, "WTF bro?".

Oldmacs
10th July 2012, 08:06 PM
Thats funny :) - One of these days I will take my 1400cs into school and see how they react!

Orestes
10th July 2012, 10:57 PM
I'm just building up my G5 Xserve at the moment... If it counts I'm in.

nibbles
11th July 2012, 07:45 AM
That's like taking a Porsche 911 to a classic car race full of mini coopers.

Orestes
11th July 2012, 12:40 PM
The Australian Touring Car series does pretty much that. Besides which point I don't have another vintage Mac.

LCGuy
11th July 2012, 12:52 PM
Till I got my MacBook I used to take my 1400 into uni to type notes during lectures. For some reason uni staff weren't all that happy about it, I'm guessing they thought I was playing games on it or whatever...either way, all I know is that it got used for its purpose in lectures much more than my MacBook.

Oldmacs
11th July 2012, 05:29 PM
Was it because nobody else took laptops, or because yours looked vintage?
My problem with taking the 1400 with me is that it has no battery life and we are not allowed to plug anything in at school :(

LCGuy
12th July 2012, 11:21 AM
Because mine looked vintage, and because...well...it had a tendency to run out of electricity. :P I'd get a bit out of the battery...then it would just die. Being at uni and all, we actually were allowed to plug stuff in, and they didn't mind people charging newer laptops...but yeah. *shrugs*

neoxide
12th July 2012, 10:03 PM
I'd love to take a Powerbook 100 in to take notes in lectures (it's the only one almost as light as my netbook) sadly neither of mine work at the moment.

There's also the battery issue. No Powerbook battery I own can really hold a charge. Monash, for some reason, have exceptionally few powerpoints in their lecture theatres (pardon the pun).

I do remember bringing in a 1400 and a Wallstreet G3 for a 'business expo' night assignment when I was in Year 9. That was about 5 years ago, so well in the MacBook era.

I don't think I could do a retro week challenge though. Too much of my life depends on modern technology :( IE 4.01 on a Powermac 8100av, anybody?

Oldmacs
12th July 2012, 10:46 PM
I have done half half the last couple of days doing as much on G4 as possible!
A better challenge could be progressively going back through the history of Apples Os's and spending a week ( of personal time) on each. You could start at tiger and go backwards :)

Orestes
13th July 2012, 10:22 PM
I'm just waiting on delivery of my Airport Extreme so that I can hook my G5 Xserve into my home network. Then I'll be down for this. If being able to run 10.5 is an issue I'll leave 10.4 installed and run everything in classic for a week :p. I was actually setting sheep shaver up on my MacBook Pro to do this until it crashed and I couldn't get it to load again.

I had downloaded Claszilla and Office 2001 which can save to a recent .doc/.xls/.ppt format that would open without formatting errors in new versions of office and was going to do this already excepting what happened.I was even going to take my Pro in running Sheep Shaver into uni running OS 9 in full screen for WTF factor :D but it fell over and now wont boot :(.

I could quite easily live with it, the only problem is a lack of flash support. OS 9 is still quite usable for surfing the web and basic office duties for most people if it's given the chance. It can do most things actually, runs PS6 which is pretty much interchangable for CS and Illustrator 8 and Final Cut Pro which is interchangeable for iMove. I guess the biggest deal for me is an all in one media player such as VLC which I never found, but could find for BeOS (strange???). The latest version of Quicktime with a few codecs can handle that I guess, but I'd really like something decent such VLC, or Mplayer. I haven't tried Windows Media Player 7.1 yet and don't want to but I may have to any version of iTunes that can run is really old and too limited/buggy I've found.

Oldmacs
15th July 2012, 08:56 PM
I went into school and used System 7.5 under Basilisk II in full screen and it confused people a lot!