PDA

View Full Version : Virtual PC 7 (Performance)

rueffy
17th December 2005, 02:19 PM
Hi All,

I've been doing a bit of research on the forums and getting various opinions on the ability to improve to performance of Virtual PC 7, I personally am trying to get enough power to allow VP7 to provide gaming... from what I've read its pretty much impossible yeah? I am running a 1.5Ghz powerbook, its good some guts, but using VP7 is a total drag still. My mac plays games really well, smooth and fast graphics no problems, can i transfer this performance to VP7? If not is there any alternative software, anything at all? Thanks for your advice.

Rueffy.

f1_power
17th December 2005, 02:33 PM
Basically No.

I used to use Virtual PC for very, very little due to its poor speed. If you want to do PC gaming, my suggestion is to get a Cheapish New or 2nd Hand PC because Virtual PC isn't going to do what you want it to do.

Off the top of my head on my similar PowerBook Virtual PC runs / emulates equivalant to a 300MHz PII / 686 PC :(

Currawong
17th December 2005, 02:45 PM
First, and most importantly, it emulates an S3 Trio video card. Useless for gaming. Get a PC for that purpose.

Devski
17th December 2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by f1_power@Dec 17 2005, 02:33 PM
Basically No.
Bolux.

Minesweeper and solitaite run a treat.

hawker
17th December 2005, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by Devski@Dec 17 2005, 03:29 PM
Bolux.

Minesweeper and solitaite run a treat.
LOL.

The only way to get the whole of virtual PC to run a bit smoother (bar graphics as Currawong has stated) is to chuck more RAM in the macine, and beef it up for Virtual PC in the prefs!!!

forgie
17th December 2005, 06:18 PM
The way to get VPC7 running real fast is to install Windows 2000, not Windows XP. W2K is alot faster in VPC. Having more RAM in general helps, but it doesn't help to allocate more then about 300MB in VPC. It just doesn't help, despite everyone's intuition telling them to up the RAM in VPC. (This is the case when using programs that don't use much RAM, but if you are using something that does use more RAM, then YMMV)

And yeah, an S3 trio ain't gonna play Doom 3!

And I think my iBook emulates about a 600MHz Pentium3 when I run Windows 2000.

napes
17th December 2005, 08:58 PM
Gaming is out of the question with VPC because it doesn't take advantage of your video card - all emulated as Currawong said. I've got a cut down version of XP wth all the Explorer rubbish stripped out of it - runs pretty good and is very light install wise (windoze=bloatware). But still grinds compared to OSX soft but we just don't get the ported games. Yet. ;)

iluvmymactoo
17th December 2005, 10:29 PM
Actually I found Win2K to run lousy on VPC 7, XP Home with all the overheads disabled runs almost as well as on an actual pc on my Powerbook.

As for games, you're dreaming.

schmuppet
17th December 2005, 11:39 PM
If you have to use windows for any period of time just buy a cheap PC. Virtual PC is painful on a dual g5, let alone a powerbook.

entropy
18th December 2005, 12:09 AM
I find VPC Ok for the odd bit of reference hardware, but anything with any sort of graphics intensity is not worth bothering with. It would be weeks between launching VPC for me.
Its pretty cool have a window with XP on it, thiough.
It also makes it pretty easy to appreciate OSX.

BiRDBRAiN
18th December 2005, 07:16 AM
Slightly off topic, anyone know any links to guides that show how to "strip out" stuff to improve the speed of Windoze XP in VPC?

Currawong
18th December 2005, 07:28 AM
To improve speed, turn off System Restore, and set Windows to run for more performance, which turns off all the visual effects. That makes the biggest difference.

I've noticed there are, in various places, illegitimate "stripped" versions of Windows available that have large amounts of stuff removed, allowing it to run even in 64mb and very quickly at that.

hawker
18th December 2005, 07:44 AM
I'm waiting for DarWine to take off. Then I think things will speed up (But only for apps not the whole OS)

hawker
18th December 2005, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by forgie@Dec 17 2005, 05:48 PM
Having more RAM in general helps, but it doesn't help to allocate more then about 300MB in VPC. It just doesn't help, despite everyone's intuition telling them to up the RAM in VPC.
I respectfully disagree. I've seen a machine with 1.5GB's of Ram in total and 768MB's allocated to VPC running very nice...

IMHO however, either find the mac equal and run that, or just buy a PC if you have to keep doing Windows Things :P

EDIT: Sorry about posting straight after my last one. Did not mean it!

step_andy
18th December 2005, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by hawker@Dec 18 2005, 07:59 AM
I respectfully disagree. I've seen a machine with 1.5GB's of Ram in total and 768MB's allocated to VPC running very nice...
Advice I received from MS was to allocate as little as possible to Windows (for XP no more than 256 MB unless apps require) and keep video RAM to 8 MB.

Windows does not use Mac RAM directly. What happens, the more RAM is allocated to Windows, the more VPC needs to emulate increasing load on procesor.

Best way to boost VPC performance:
Faster Mac
Use Windows 2000
If using XP, turn off XP theme
or
Get 2nd hand PC

Andy

forgie
19th December 2005, 01:45 AM
Yeah, I'm seriously hanging out for darwine... that'll be sweet as.

step_andy
4th July 2006, 09:23 AM
Just found this - Nine ways to speed up Virtual PC for Mac
http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virt...pc_settings.xml (http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/virtualpc/using.aspx?pid=usingvirtualpc&type=howto&article=/mac/library/how_to_articles/virtualpc/vpc_settings.xml)