PDA

View Full Version : eMac Upgrade

OziMac
25th August 2004, 03:54 PM
Well, a while ago I got my hands on a cheap 1.0GHz eMac model for basic computing. Following the amazing Leo Bodnar's instructions and the relevant Service Manual (also available on his site), I managed to work out how to swap out the CD drive in the eMac and replace it with a Pioneer 107 8x Superdrive. It was a tricky operation that I would not recommend to anyone who doesn't know their way around electrics - I don't, and it is not something to be done lightly! The usual disclaimers (could destroy your hardware, or be killed in the worst case) apply.

This was all dandy. But recently I got a bit reckless. I bought some memory and a new hard drive and wanted to have another shot at upgrading old reliable. So I opened her up and decided to be a little rash and have a go at removing some jumpers. Following Leo's instructions, I removed a three jumpers and went from 1.0GHz to 1.2GHz! Leo himself went from 800MHz to 1.33GHz and others have reported getting up to 1.6GHz. However, I've read reports about the systems being slightly unstable even at 1.27GHz, so I decided to be a little conservative in my rashness and go for 1.2GHz to ensure that my computer would still work reliably at least.

So there you go - an overclocked eMac.

Here is Leo's site - he has links to the relevant service manuals too.

http://www.lbodnar.dsl.pipex.com/eMac/eMac-upgrade.html

[By the way Disko, I don't think writing an article is appropriate - Leo's done it alreaady on his site, and it is a bit of a hairy operation. :)]

Disko
25th August 2004, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by OziMac@Aug 25 2004, 03:24 PM
[By the way Disko, I don't think writing an article is appropriate - Leo's done it alreaady on his site, and it is a bit of a hairy operation. :)]
heh. you know me too well. :)

kim jong il
26th August 2004, 01:12 AM
That's what I like to see. Nice one. I am pretty confident you will not be dissappointed.
Overclocking is only really 'hairy' the first time you do it (my experience anyway. You just wait until you get another second hander. It just keeps getting easier and you WILL do it again. I can tell). You do, however, need good eyes and a steady hand. I've overclocked every mac I've had since 1993 (with the exception of the PowerCenter Pro 604 180).
I did not attempt the latter as CPU speed was hopelessly linked to bus speeds and was never likely to work reliably. After I blew the onboard sound with 240 V AC (a very sad episode) I just got a newer machine.
I should add that one of my friends, who works with computers, finds my attitude to overclocking disturbing. He is only impressed in as much as that I get away with it.

kim

OziMac
26th August 2004, 10:23 AM
Well kim - unfortunately it WAS hairy - in that I didn't trust my non-existent soldering skills and ended up basically prying the jumpers off. Crude, but effective it seems.

Also had another tense moment - went back to put in the 160GB HDD, but ended up stripping one of the screws on the fan - it was absolutely impossible to remove. Anyway, so I went ahead and removed the enclosure without taking the fan off (tricky) but had to contend with a cable tied to the digital enclosure structure. Ended up cutting the tie and not replacing it, When I put it all back together the eMac wouldn't start. So I waited another day, went back in and found one connector not plugged up and tested all the others.

However, now it's all done and running. My eMac is benching 120-125 on XBench which I am pretty damn pleased with. And two massive HDD partitions to boot.

No need to shell out for a G5 any time soon. :)

kim jong il
26th August 2004, 02:02 PM
Some of these overclock instructions do not impress me I must say (although the site you used is far far better than most). For my machine I had to use information from a number of sites coupled with deductive reasoning). A micro soldering iron I find essential as I am not prepared to cut tracks on the MB. Prying them off? I would have been sweating too. Not a procedure I would reccommend. The potential to irretrievably damge the MB or processor daughter card is too great.
I use: micro soldering iron, solder wick (ultra fine), tweezers and mini wire cutters (to cut new links). Some people even go to the length of finding a source of those damned miniature surface mount resistors whereas I just replace these with ultra fine wire links.

Anyway, I'm glad you got away with it.

cheers, kim

Byrd
26th August 2004, 02:57 PM
Nice one kim :) I'm also a fan of overclocking each and every Mac I come into contact with. It's quite a bit different and much more exciting overclocking a Mac vs. a PC (press DEL at startup ...). With a Mac it's often on a once very expensive machine and almost always involves a soldering iron of sorts. Many Mac CPUs don't overclock as well as PCs, but the thrill of nearly killing your machine, then seeing it boot and run stable, is well worth it!

My tools of the Mac overclocking trade consists of a Goot fine-tipped soldering iron, fine tweezers, some 'helping hand' clamps + magnifier. Have discovered the merits of a conductive pen, much easier than having to resolder SMDs/wire etc. (note: most Macs just use the resistor as just an electrical short to change multiplier/bus speed settings, but some do carry values).

SMD resistors can be picked up at Radio Parts in West Melbourne, although you need to buy them in huge lots.

Well done on the overclock Ozi, would love to get my hands on a similar machine one day, to do just that.

JB

Disko
26th August 2004, 03:08 PM
has anyone seen any info on overclocking G5s yet?

Byrd
26th August 2004, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Disko@Aug 26 2004, 03:08 PM
has anyone seen any info on overclocking G5s yet?
Not Much. (http://67.163.88.215/overclock/g5.html)

Give it time however, I'm sure we'll see more on this. One problem of overclocking a G5, and in turn increasing it's FSB, is that you may need higher rated RAM to cope with this - standard DDR 333/400 may not cut it.

JB