PDA

View Full Version : Warning - Exploding Maxell PRAM batteries!

LCGuy
21st June 2012, 06:26 PM
Given that pretty much every thread in here has been started by Oldmacs, I figured I better start one myself. :) On a topic that really, anyone who uses old Macs needs to know about.

A few people over at the 68kMLA (http://68kmla.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18222) have come across old Macs which have had their PRAM batteries explode, and destroy the logic board (and other parts). The one thing that they just about all have in common is the PRAM batteries used - Maxell. Here's a photo of a board with a blown Maxell battery installed along with an intact example:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3103837/68kmla/IMG_1719.jpg

If you use, or even have old Macs lying around, I'd highly recommend that you check them for these batteries and replace them with new ones. I've replaced the batteries in my machines mostly with TekCell batteries, and I've found them to be good.

For what its worth, I'd just like to say that despite this problem with these batteries, I otherwise have nothing but good things to say about Maxell products - back in the day I always preferred Maxell cassettes and VHS tapes over others, and to this day I've had good experience with their CDs and DVDs. But at the same time, this is something that everyone with old Macs needs to know about. And even Macs that aren't so "vintage" - my Lime Rev. D iMac originally came with a Maxell.

Oldmacs
21st June 2012, 06:58 PM
Thanks for the support LCGuy!
I have replaced all my Vintage Macs batteries with TekCell ones from Dick Smiths and I take them out and put them in cliplock bags when I am not using my Macs.

LCGuy
21st June 2012, 07:14 PM
I actually got my last batch from Battery World (do they have them here in Sydney? I've never seen a Battery World store since moving here)...believe it or not they were actually slightly cheaper than Dick Smiths...not to mention I didn't have to try and explain to the salesperson what it is and what its for. :)

My Macs are currently back in Queensland...needless to say like you, I've removed all my batteries.

Oldmacs
21st June 2012, 07:32 PM
Battery World are good! I got a Macintosh Plus Battery from them a few years ago!
It is also rechargeable which is an advantage.

LCGuy
21st June 2012, 08:01 PM
Really? Very good to know - my Macintosh has gone without a battery ever since I got it purely because I thought they were no longer available!

Oldmacs
21st June 2012, 08:10 PM
Well I ordered one in from near by store as my local store did not have them!

macman142
21st June 2012, 08:59 PM
Good thread. All my Macs have the batteries removed.

neoxide
30th June 2012, 08:41 AM
I should really get around to this... I was tested my LCs the other day and an exploding battery had taken out a large section of the motherboard/case. The only LC (68020) I've got...