PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning PowerBook Screen

f1_power
15th December 2005, 04:59 PM
I have bought 2 cleaning kits for cleaning LCDs / Laptop Screens.

One is a "passive" cleaning kit - which involves just a moistened cloth and then a dry one to clean the screen with the second being an "active" kit with a bottle of spray with 2 cloths - one being more abrasive than the other to clean the surface then the other to dry.

Are any or both of these safe to use on my PowerBook screen? I have had it for about 4-5 months and has started to get dirty to the point it is a little annoying.

iluvmymactoo
15th December 2005, 05:02 PM
I use iKlear (http://www.softconnect.com.au/osCommerce/index.php?cPath=68&osCsid=f4caf25d3ea04007e0d57fdddfbf02b9) for my Powerbook screen, have done for all my Macs over the years.

DJY
15th December 2005, 05:53 PM
same here - iKlear all the way.

Before you use the most active cleaning option - I'd check for the ingredients - and see what is in there. There are a few websites around that indicate what to use and what to avoid (e.g. alcohol based solutions). Google is your friend!

Catacaustic
16th December 2005, 04:58 PM
iKlean is (as far as I can remember anyway) the Apple recommended cleaning solution, so that's probably the best to use. Others may be alright too, but like it has been said, it's best to check what they contain.

One good option that you can also use is something that Macally sells called "Screen Protector". This is a clear plastic sheet that goes over your screen and keeps it clean and protected mostly. It doesn't stop everything, but I've used these on my 17" PowerBook, and they do work well. The screen is still in great condition, and when I need to clean it I can wipe the plastic sheet easily until it's to bad to clean, and then I just remove that sheet and put on a new one.

vicmeldrew
16th December 2005, 06:04 PM
I just use a damp cloth.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=60446

nicwithsticks
16th December 2005, 08:55 PM
I'm also a fan of the damp cloth solution. It seems to work well, and it's all I have ever used on my laptops.

Im always skeptical of chemical solutions, even if they are designed for cleaning panels. I'm just paranoid I guess :)